User Avatar Image

Flash bug on Linux

posted by bigtopfrank on - last edited - Viewed by 588 users

just thought i'd give mention to the fact that the member login boxes for the telltale site do not work on linux. by do not work i mean, they are not visible at all! i'm running kubuntu with firefox 1.5.0.7, i checked it with the native konquerer browser, and it's the same again.

it may have something to do with the fact that the flash plug for linux is versioned at 7, whereas the windows plug is currently at 9.

it's no matter . . . i had to get the internet going on my windows pc to activate my games anyway! so i just logged in then. just thought i'd let you know!

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Fix coming soonish. Sorry for the time being, Linux guys! :(

• I still have problems with the banner in linux :( any chance that bumping this thread may speed up things a bit?

• Yeah, I really gotta wonder why the heck you're using flash for the navbar, because it's so... UNNECESSARY.

Use a darned image map and get done with it. The reason you should be using flash is to create dynamic content, not a bunch of static links. That's like using Inform (a programming language for making text adventures) to make a Tetris game.

• The navbar was supposed to become a lot more dynamic, so I set it up as Flash on day 1 with the plan of expanding it out to do more interesting things, but it got prioritized off the face of the earth, and is now just awkward and taking up space. I promise I'll take care of it eventually!

• User Avatar Image
    jmm

Or at least provide an alternate link to login.

• I get around this problem by using Flashblock. It's a very handy tool for mozilla browsers which makes it possible to decide which flash objects a person want to see.

• @marsan said: I get around this problem by using Flashblock. It's a very handy tool for mozilla browsers which makes it possible to decide which flash objects a person want to see.

This is what i do too. It works, but it's hack obviously :/

• Totally not flash anymore! Booyah.

Thanks to mikew for making it work!

• Nice job, it looks almost the same as the Flash version did too :)

If you ever do whip up a fancy flash bar you may want to consider making it just a bit smaller so you don't have to overlay the log-in corner to make it work; it's not as if in the log-in area needs to be any fancier. (Perhaps logging in without refreshing the page would be cool, but that can be accomplished just as well with AJAX.)

• Yeah at some point in the future I would like to add some fancy AJAX stuff like the login you mentioned but also one thing we have talked about is having the cart portion of the navbar actually update when you add stuff to your cart rather than after you click around. Kind of swamped with stuff right now though (stay tuned!) but eventually it will happen

Add Comment