User Avatar Image

How do you organize your music on your playlist?

posted by Jennifer on - last edited - Viewed by 923 users

How do your organize your music on your playlist (for iPad, Zune, WinAmp, iTunes, what-have-you)? Do you sort it alphabetically by name of album or by artist, or do you sort by genre, date of release, etc?

I sort mine by date of release. I've got my music organized from 1810-2012 and have it saved in my WinAmp playlist that way. Whenever I buy a new song, I sort it by date in WinAmp's Local Media list and then save my playlist again. :)

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: Does anyone even listen to a single album from beginning to end anymore?

Yes.

I have only used shuffle a few times in the car when I wanted to listen to various songs on different albums by the same artist. So, I added all songs by said artist to my playlist and set it to shuffle. Granted, before I did this, I had already listened to all the songs on all the included albums in order multiple times in the past.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I resent the shuffle function. It has largely destroyed the flow and pace of an artist's intention for an album. Especially for albums whose tracks blend into eachother. Now everything's just a jumbled mess. Does anyone even listen to a single album from beginning to end anymore?

I do. I still shuffle though.

People would listen to albums if any Top 40's acts would release albums worth listening to. You get 3 played-to-death singles and ten filler tracks.

I can't wait for the whole electronic backing track thing to go away, nobody's doing it well. It just sounds coarse and sterile and assaults my ears. Whilst I listen to a lot of music with aggressive instrumentation like punk and all that craic, I literally cannot cope with the excess of todays mass market songs.

This for example is like the engineer just cranked all the EQ dials up to ten then buggered off for his lunch. Also the lyrics are total shit.

• @MusicallyInspired said: I resent the shuffle function. It has largely destroyed the flow and pace of an artist's intention for an album. Especially for albums whose tracks blend into eachother. Now everything's just a jumbled mess. Does anyone even listen to a single album from beginning to end anymore?

I don't do shuffle at all. Then again, most of my music collection consists of soundtracks so it would be rather jarring to use it.

• Yeah. I also have to admit that I don't have a lot of "top 40 single" style artists/albums on my Walkman. Most albums like that are forgettable anyway and the album as no pace or flow to begin with. I have mostly instrumental stuff. Songs from instrumental artists, games, tv shows, and movies. R

• My hatred for autotune knows no bounds! >:X
    (And the popular music in general...)

And when I get a new album I listen to it in full first.
    But the shuffle is a nice way of keeping things fresh.

Sure I do skip a lot of songs, (ones I don't fancy listening to), but since a lot of songs are NOT from concept albums or instrumentals that follow a theme, or even soundtracks, then shuffle is good for me when I'm on the move.

(Easier to just plug in, shuffle all, and go in my opinon! :D)

• One of my favorite songs ever is "All I Do Is Win"

• My music is all thrown together in a big pile. It's listed however itunes happens to list it - it was alphabetical I think til I updated or hit a button or something and now it seems to be by album. I only listen to playlists on my ipod... when I use shuffle I end up skipping 10 songs and listening to 1. Basically when I get some new music, rediscover some old stuff, hear a song in the shops, I make a new playlist. I add to the same one for a little while, then I start a new one. Some get listened to for a few weeks, this last one I've been playing since the beginning of the year.

• @DAISHI said: One of my favorite songs ever is "All I Do Is Win"

Why does this not surprise me at all?

I'm rather partial to Everything you Know is Wrong.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Alcoremortis said: Why does this not surprise me at all?

I'm rather partial to Everything you Know is Wrong.

I was thinking of this when you posted that title. :p

• I change up the sorting depending on what I want to do. Sometimes I sort by artist, turn shuffle off and just let it roll -- this is especially handy when I have a favorite artist doing something unique on a compilation album that I otherwise don't play.

If I've recently bought some new tracks or an album, I'll sort by date added and start in that way.

If I'm feeling neglectful, I sort by date last played and look for the tracks that I've NEVER played since converting to digital.

If I'm feeling iconoclastic, I'll sort by song title and play various covers of a song, even when I only have some of these tracks because I couldn't originally find the version I was looking for.

Most of the time I set it on shuffle, pick something I know I like and let it go at random from there.

Add Comment