User Avatar Image

Need Inverted Controls Option

posted by Ducksditch on - last edited - Viewed by 17K users

I am not sure what is wrong with my brain but I have to be able to invert the up/down settings on video games. I am sure there are many others like me who push up on the right stick and expect the cursor to plummet to the bottom of the screen and if it doesn't, we pause our brand new game and fix this in the options menu. Some of you may go further and actually look for this option before even launching the game. So why is it that The Walking Dead game does not have this simple option?
Does Telltale not understand how crippling not having this option is to someone like me? I watched all the trailers and the "Playing Dead" episodes before trying the demo. I was blown away by the whole concept only to be left deflated when I assumed control of Lee and couldn't maneuver him properly. I kept thinking "uh oh, what's going to happen when I have to fend off a zombie in a split second?" Sure enough I found my self frantically focusing on the controls instead of frantically focusing on Lee's survival.
I see the potential and to me the game looks and feels stunning. It is truly a comic book brought to life but instead of being immersed in the beautifully crafted world I am all consumed in trying to make the cursor go where I desperately want it to go. So, please Telltale, if you are reading this, please put in a simple patch to fix this huge issue for those of us that are "axis challenged". I want to love playing this game as much as you loved making it. Please....

378 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • or do as I did and force your wife (or husband, other, etc) to play for you!!! Hahaha

I think the fact they haven't responded to any of this yet just means they have no plans on fixing this issue....I mean if you think about it and they truly do plan on a patch they would have posted by now to end this madness......but all I can think of is that we are being ignored OR they don't understand us Y-axis inverted people so they just have the same mentality as all the other rude people saying "well just re-train your brain" blah blah blah....

Sadly I have given up on this game.....even though I bought the season pass and I do own other tell tale games I will NEVER buy another telltale title.....not because they will not invert the Y-axis....I can get over that...but because they are disrespecting the people who pay their bills and keep them in business by flat out ignoring us!! This issue is all over the internet....they know about it....just let us know what you will or will not be doing moving forward!! Then we can stop wasting our time and yours.....

Until then my wife enjoys the game and I'll continue to "play" thru her since I stupidly bought the pass before trying the demo

• "Clementine will remember that you did not save her"... that's not for want of TRYING!! Game looks great but I'm not even gonna get through episode one if I cannot execute the decisions I make cos of an omitted INVERT Y AXIS setting. We truly are the southpaws of the digital age! I cannot use PC hacks because I'm on Xbox. Trusting that developers will hack it for me. Not that it's a hack. A rudimentary UX requirement. Until then... game over.

• I have to say, reading the responses from Telltale about their lack of plans to rectify this situation puts them in my doghouse, big time. It just seems so stupid on their part. Okay, so in my case they got my five bucks. Whoop-de-doo. They aren't going to get any more. How is that good business sense on their part? "Let's just toss away a large part of the gaming community because we can't be bothered to write some code and patch the game." That is lousy and I hope it costs them plenty.

• I also cannot play without the invert option. Telltale needs to rectify this and soon. I bought their season pass and won't be a happy camper if this isn't patched. Is there another forum for bugs or suggestions?

• @telltalegames on tweeter. Start the tweet requests for inverted controls. I just did.

• I just don't understand how "critical" this issue is, I swear.

When you play The Secret of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, IJ and the Fate of Atlantis... do you play with inverted Y axis? Because all of those games don't have the option for Y axis inverted.

The Walking Dead it's the same thing.

Ok, time to take cover. :p

• @The_Ripper said: I just don't understand how "critical" this issue is, I swear.

When you play The Secret of Monkey Island, Full Throttle, IJ and the Fate of Atlantis... do you play with inverted Y axis? Because all of those games don't have the option for Y axis inverted.

Ah, but I've never played any of those games.

It was the TV series that sucked me into The Walking Dead universe.

And I suspect that's the case for many gamers.

Meanwhile, I emailed TellTale over a week ago to politely ask them if they were considering a patch.

Nothing.

I'm assuming their deafening silence is a "no" then. :(

• @The_Ripper said: I just don't understand how "critical" this issue is, I swear.

It's the fact that Walking Dead has a lot of moments from first person perspective as opposed to just a cursor on a scene. It's instinctive to use ''inverted'' when in first person.

• @Sander001 said: Tens of thousands.
    Just wanted to mention my solution again since it's probably lost in the madness: Watch the playthrough on youtube. An imperfect solution in an imperfect world.

Would you mind explaining in one sentence here.

• @RobD said: It's the fact that Walking Dead has a lot of moments from first person perspective as opposed to just a cursor on a scene. It's instinctive to use ''inverted'' when in first person.

On those scenes there are still a cursor. This is not a FPS. :confused:

I mean, the cursor never disappears so I can't understand where's the problem.

And ok, may be you never played Fate of Atlantis, or Day of the Tentacle or so... but, I don't know, Indigo's prophecy, The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Runaway saga...?

This discussion has been closed.