74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator

@Irishmile said: Dave Grossman is actually a really good choice to do it... He knows what he is doing, and is actually brilliant at doing it... He is just as important to the genre as Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Roberta Williams, Al Lowe, and Jane Jensen in my oppinion... I am actually really excited about this news.

I picked up on the same tidbit and I fully agree. Dave is the perfect choice for King's Quest.
    Color me a lot more excited!

• @corruptbiggins said: Way to overreact. It'll be about a year. And I seriously doubt that they've not done anything with it, there will have been a number of meetings & discussions about it, things that frankly we are not (nor should we be really) privy to.

Hah! That wasn't an over-reaction. The was mild sarcasm, at best.

I'm sure there a number of meetings and discussions, but that just means it's a game being made by committee.

"A Camel is a Horse designed by comittee."

Yeah. Doesn't bode well for King's Quest, honestly. They've been sitting on the IP for a year, and now it may be another year for the game? Great.

And while Dave Grossman is a great talent, it doesn't really assuage me at all.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: Hah! That wasn't an over-reaction. The was mild sarcasm, at best.

I'm sure there a number of meetings and discussions, but that just means it's a game being made by committee.

"A Camel is a Horse designed by comittee."

Yeah. Doesn't bode well for King's Quest, honestly. They've been sitting on the IP for a year, and now it may be another year for the game? Great.

And while Dave Grossman is a great talent, it doesn't really assuage me at all.

Bt

Better they take their time with it than rush it, no? More time = more time to "learn" what KQ fans want and don't want, how they can adjust their own style to suit it to KQ, etc. If it was rushed, people would still complain. Every KQ game starting with KQIV took two years to come out, and in the case of Mask, it was four years.

KQ IV -1988
    KQ V - 1990
    KQ VI - 1992
    KQ VII - 1994
    KQ VIII - 1998

So a one or two year wait, especially with a company who probably realizes there's a LOT at stake and probably wants to be careful going into the series, and who is working in a series whose format is out of their comfort zone, seems reasonable.

• Different world now. We should have at least seen or heard something. This is just someone sitting on a property, and the more I think about it - the more I feel like we're about to be spoon-fed shit and told it's candy.

Bt

• @Irishmile said: The part where he said...

That’s kind left for Dave Grossman and his group.

Is pretty HUGE news actually... now we know who is running the show for that game... and Dave Grossman is actually a really good choice to do it...

perhaps.

perhaps he's the best choice at Telltale to do it. Then again, perhaps he's not the best in the business as LucasArts' style of games is different than Sierra Online's.

@Irishmile said: Ugh.

[...] I love the complete lack of information on King's Quest. From those statements, it seems clear that they have no idea how the fuck they are going to reconcile their "adventure-games-for-dummies" formula with the King's Quest series and its longtime fans.

I agree.

Personally, what would make me feel a lot better is if Telltale said they were going to bring Roberta, Josh Mandel and/or Al Lowe in on the project. Until they do this, color me skeptical.

• We've already been through this when KQ was first announced. We've had the conversation about Dave Grossman's game design philosophy and how it's completely different from what King's Quest always was. (something about designing games for his grandmother to play easily, I believe it was) Why are we having this conversation again?

• Because, as the OP points out, there is nothing new to talk about.

• LOUD NOISES!!!!

Heh. It's true. We don't have anything new to talk about. I guess my enthusiasm is just starting to wane under the strain of hearing or seeing nothing for a whole year, and then getting this little bit of bitter rhubarb rubbed under my nose.

Bt

• I just think that Telltale literally has no clue what to do with King's Quest. I don't think they are intentionally keeping their awesome plans under wraps or anything. I literally think they don't know what they are going to do with this series, and that they have probably been somewhat stymied by the nearly universal skepticism surrounding their ability to do this franchise justice. This will be a failure of epic proportions. Mark my words.

Also, Dave Grossman may have WORKED on some great adventure games back in the day, but his own words about Telltale's approach to adventure games prove that the guy is fairly out of touch with what most fans actually enjoyed about those old games. Him leading the KQ team is of no comfort whatsoever.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Lambonius said: I don't think they are intentionally keeping their awesome plans under wraps or anything. I literally think they don't know what they are going to do with this series, and that they have probably been somewhat stymied by the nearly universal skepticism surrounding their ability to do this franchise justice.

Eh what? You think they'll just wait for The Walking Dead and Fables to be over, then go "oh crap, we were supposed to have something for KQ by now"?

We didn't hear anything much about The Walking Dead while BTTF and Jurassic Park were going on, but hey look - there's a game now. The lack of info is just down to where KQ falls on their release timeline.

Add Comment