74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Blackthorne519 said: I don't give a fig what Roberta said about King's Quest in 1998. I really don't.

I'd just like to see some kind of news on King's Quest. Chryon hit it on the head with this.

Roberta has nothing to do with this current KQ frustration, and I don't think that she would honestly have any kind of positive influence on King's Quest if she were to work on the games today.

Bt

And this leads me back to my original statement. A certain segment of the fans don't want a KQ game by Roberta, or by TT. They only would accept a fan made game made by themselves or their peers.

Roberta is the whole reason KQ ever existed. I'd say her definition of what makes a KQ game a KQ game is a lot more important than what you think, or what I think.

• @Anakin Skywalker said:
    "The components that make a King's Quest are (in my mind, anyway and since I am the creator of the series, I guess that holds some weight): A land, or lands, of high fantasy; fantasy creatures from myth, legends, and/or fairytales both good and bad; situations to be found in those same types of stories; a "quest" type story; a calamity in the land with one "hero" to "save the kingdom"; a story of the "good" hero against the "evil" bad guy; a story that everyone can relate to, i.e., a "reason" for having the hero go out and risk his or her life for "saving the kingdom"; interesting worlds to explore; high interactivity; interesting characters; great animation; great visuals and music. Within that general framework, I feel that I can have some "leeway" to accomplish those tasks."

So let's assume for a second that this IS the one true definition of what King's Quest is. Does anyone honestly think Telltale will deliver this?

• with one "hero" to "save the kingdom"

Oops, KQ7 broke that one! Two heroines!

• Still digging that trench, Anakin? You're awfully presumptuous.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Still digging that trench, Anakin? You're awfully presumptuous.

Just as presumptuous as the people who have already pretty much stated a game is going to suck before seeing ANYTHING from it. Seriously, this fan game maker solidarity, standing together against TT, isn't going to help you out in the long run when one group gets the license and says "Sorry guys, I got it, you didn't."

• No fighting on the boards.

I tottaly forgot they were making Fables and I still have no clue what fables is.

• I've heard it described as King's Quest, but more for adults... Dark and gritty... Something about how it incorporates fairy tales into its stories.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: And this leads me back to my original statement. A certain segment of the fans don't want a KQ game by Roberta, or by TT. They only would accept a fan made game made by themselves or their peers.

I would assume the reason why certain people don't care specifically for Roberta at this point is because she is responsible for such as KQ8. Maybe not entirely, but she did play her part in it, and it's most certainly not a classic point-and-click adventure game as the others in the series were.

This is to say that I would see said people having it in mind that Roberta might tend to cave to "marketplace realities" in as much as to not be particularly helpful in sticking to the classic genre like the game should.

• You know what? Let's just agree to disagree. You're not going to change my mind nor will I change yours, but can I ask that you guys try to have an open mind about this game?

• I can try to have an open mind. It doesn't, however, mean that I will have an open wallet.

Add Comment