User Avatar Image

The Big ScummVM and ResidualVM Thread

posted by Jennifer on - last edited - Viewed by 2.1K users

There's been quite a few threads about specific games in ScummVM and ResidualVM, but never one all-encompassing thread, so I figured I'd make one since ScummVM and ResidualVM are ever-evolving. :)

I'm a huge fan of the 2D adventure game program ScummVM and it's sister project for 3D adventures, ResidualVM (and the sister project ScummVM-Misc which includes an engine for text adventures made with Inform) by extension. So much so that I actually prefer to play adventure games through these programs. :)

I enjoy testing out engines as they're WIP, and there's often some times when the engines play straight through to completion long before they're added to a stable release. I'm playing through Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers in ScummVM right now, and it works really well despite being WIP, and I played through Grim Fandango in ResidualVM before it received a stable release.

I've played ScummVM on Windows, Linux, BeOS, GP32, Dreamcast, Wii, and iPad and ResidualVM on Windows and Linux. :D

31 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • How can I set up ScummVM to use a game's original menu/savegame screen? I've heard it is possible.

• It's not impossible. I believe it's a setting in the scummvm.ini file. If not, you can always quickly alter a single variable in ScummVM's source and compile yourself a custom build. Not really all that difficult, actually.

I've got ScummVM on my DS and it runs beautifully. I just wish I had a GBA memory cart so I could use the ROM that takes advantage of the extra memory so I can play Full Throttle and The Dig on it. Someday.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Chyron8472 said: How can I set up ScummVM to use a game's original menu/savegame screen? I've heard it is possible.

If the menu is scripted, you can get to a game's original menu by pressing Alt and F5 (you can usually tell by games that use a different setup for the menu than the usual menus for a particular engine, like in Maniac Mansion for the NES).

You can't use the original menus for games with unscripted menus (eg: most of the SCUMM games [the ones that share a common menu layout]) because the game's script only gives the text inside the buttons and none of the actual graphics or layout (that's all hardcoded in the original executable).

• Yes, but it's different for SCI games. Which is what I think I mistakenly assumed Chyron was talking about. It actually has to be set manually in this case. Personally, I look at it as a missing feature because you can't press F5 and F7 to Save and Restore respectively anymore.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Yes, but it's different for SCI games. Which is what I think I mistakenly assumed Chyron was talking about.

It is, actually.

I'm not sure which setting in scummvm.ini it is.

• Ah, well there you are. I know that the variable to use the Windows cursor icons (small and white) for the Windows versions of KQ5 and KQ6 and such is an option in the INI (I used to also change this in the source and compile my own version), but I don't know if they allowed the same for the save/restore GUI.

• Just realized in the latest snapshot there's a new section in the Edit Game options menu called Engine which has a flag for "Use original Save/Load GUI". There's also one for "prefer digital sound effects" but it doesn't do anything for some games at the moment. Certain titles still default to using digital sound effects either way (like SQ3), unfortunately.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Certain titles still default to using digital sound effects

as opposed to what?

• @Chyron8472 said: as opposed to what?

Me standing behind you strangeling a cat to create sounds.

• @Chyron8472 said: as opposed to what?

Certain games, if you enable Sound Blaster support, have digital sound effects. However, for the DOS versions, if you don't have a Sound Blaster they have MIDI equivalents. Like the sound of the ship taking off in SQ3 and SQ4 (disk version). KQ1SCI also has digital sound effects for the front gate when it closes. Water splashing, falling to the ground, etc. All the digital sound effects in SQ5. There are MIDI equivalent sound effects for all of these.

For SQ4 in particular, all the digital sound effects are merely lo-fi recordings of the MT-32 sound effects. So if you have MUNT or a real MT-32 you don't need the digital sound effects as they wouldn't sound as good as the real deal. However, ScummVM automatically defaults to digital sound effects no matter what in most cases. It used to be for all games, but only some now. At least there is some progress. That's been an issue for a long time.

Add Comment