74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I would assume the reason why certain people don't care specifically for Roberta at this point is because she is responsible for such as KQ8. Maybe not entirely, but she did play her part in it, and it's most certainly not a classic point-and-click adventure game as the others in the series were.

Actually she pretty much has all the responsiblity for the RPG/combat aspects... She chose to focus on that part of development first, at the expense of puzzles. Because she didn't have much experience in that type of gaming, and wanted to get it 'right'. Because she chose to do development that way, when time and budget restraints cropped up, she didn't have the kind of time to put into the puzzles as she should have. Things ended up being cut.... Not just puzzles, but she had to cut out areas and the enemies/bosses that went along with them, in order to have time to finish puzzles in the completed areas.

It's also probably one of the reasons why the early part of the game seems more finished (more puzzles) than the later half of the game. Especially the last few levels (Frozen Reaches and the three Temple levels), but even Barren Region is somewhat 'barren' pun intended when it comes to the balance of puzzles to RPG mechanics. She couldn't just drop those levels as they were important to the story, but she also didn't have time to put many puzzles into them, and they tend be more battle oriented (than the first levels).

It also didn't help that she was a perfectionist... She wanted to have everything 'perfect' before she moved onto the next aspect of game design... So again the focusing on getting the RPG mechanics/combat working, and also going through several 'art designs', and boosting the engine so she could get the graphics as good as she wanted them to be (she wanted it to look better than most of the 3D stuff at the time, with higher polygon counts). Things like full 3-d instead of the 2D sprites, etc. Still she never quite got that the way she wanted it, since she didn't have access to the newer Red Baron II engine, and she was shoping they would release their game before she completed her own so she could get access to the engine (and boost the graphics further).

So ya, the problem is she didn't balance her priorities right.

• @allaboardfilms said: Telltale hasn't done anything with the license yet because they've been working on other games, namely The Walking Dead and Fables. Would you rather them rush the game out the door and have it be messy and poor or let them take their time and make an installment true to the series?

See, you are making an assumption that they are working on it in any real capacity. There is little information to support this. Yes, if I knew they were working on it in a real capacity, I would have some more patience. Yet, the only news we've gotten in a full year is that Dave Grossman is looking in to it.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: See, you are making an assumption that they are working on it in any real capacity. There is little information to support this. Yes, if I knew they were working on it in a real capacity, I would have some more patience. Yet, the only news we've gotten in a full year is that Dave Grossman is looking in to it.

Bt

And you're making an assumption that they are not. The same little information supports either assumption.

• @corruptbiggins said: And you're making an assumption that they are not. The same little information supports either assumption.

And why should I not think that? Based on the current evidence I have, my leanings towards believing the amount of work they have done for King's Quest is minor seems more feasible. I could be wrong, though. They have yet to prove this.

Bt

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Blackthorne519 said: See, you are making an assumption that they are working on it in any real capacity. There is little information to support this. Yes, if I knew they were working on it in a real capacity, I would have some more patience.

I'm struggling to understand why this is so important to you... just because they may not be actively working on KQ right now does not mean there won't be a game next year. :confused:

• Double Fine is also not currently working on a Kings Quest game... Do you equally hate them?

• @Irishmile said: Because it's relevant to the article posted.... And this is a message board for chatting.

My main point was that people didn't know that Dave Grossman was heading this when that was revealed ages ago. I'm confused as to why people don't remember it. When the KQ forums first opened there was a flurry of people against the idea of Dave Grossman leading it because of his previous blatant statements about his negative opinions on Sierra's game design.

I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about it again, I'm just wondering why people have forgotten or think this is brand new information.

• I think Dave Grossman is smart enough to know when puzzles need to be difficult that statement was made talking about other games he made and likes to make. He is a professional and I have faith that he will do the game justice and will make the game he is paid to do.

• @Irishmile said: Double Fine is also not currently working on a Kings Quest game... Do you equally hate them?

What the hell kind of comparison is that? That is so illogical, it boggles my mind. Congratulations - you have hit me harder in the brain than any intoxicant ever could!

Double Fine never declared that they bought the rights to King's Quest, nor did they declare their intentions to make it.

That's like getting mad at Burger King for not making a Big Mac, man.

Bt

• I like where this thread is going.

I guarantee you that members of IA/AGDI are not the ONLY people concerned that Telltale will fuck the King's Quest license up the ass. We're just the only ones who have actually stuck around these boards to comment on it. There was a pretty big outcry way back when it was first announced that Telltale was seeking to shit on the King's Quest legacy, and we certainly weren't the ones leading it.

And honestly, I have never thought that any fan group had any chance of getting their hands on the King's Quest license for commercial use. POS might be able to get it one of these days, but not at the moment. They simply aren't successful enough yet to have the capital to exchange that kind of money with Activision.

The only person who ever expressed anything resembling the kind of "fan-group license envy" that you imagine was AGC2 at AGDI--and quite frankly, I think most of the rest of us thought that was utterly ridiculous.

Add Comment