74 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • pretty big outcry way back when it was first announced that Telltale was seeking to shit on the King's Quest legacy

Telltale certainly didn't announce it like that in their PR statements...

I don't want POS to get anywhere near a commercial fan release of KQ... Thank you very much... In my humble opinion, they really don't get KQ, at all (AGDI did some things I'm not a big fan of, but POS made the same mistakes and took them further)...

• AGDI did breathe new life into the whole affair. I was there, in 2001 - 10 years ago - when they breathed life and excitement into a corpse. You cannot take that away from them.

King's Quest I VGA was amazing at the time. It was fun.... and we were all amazed. Regardless of my feelings on fan-fiction, and they readily admit II+:Romancing the Stones took it to a new level.

So far, the only thing Tell Tale has done is pony up the bucks to pay for a license.

Bt

• @Lambonius said: I like where this thread is going.

I guarantee you that members of IA/AGDI are not the ONLY people concerned that Telltale will fuck the King's Quest license up the ass. We're just the only ones who have actually stuck around these boards to comment on it. There was a pretty big outcry way back when it was first announced that Telltale was seeking to shit on the King's Quest legacy, and we certainly weren't the ones leading it.

And honestly, I have never thought that any fan group had any chance of getting their hands on the King's Quest license for commercial use. POS might be able to get it one of these days, but not at the moment. They simply aren't successful enough yet to have the capital to exchange that kind of money with Activision.

The only person who ever expressed anything resembling the kind of "fan-group license envy" that you imagine was AGC2 at AGDI--and quite frankly, I think most of the rest of us thought that was utterly ridiculous.

If you know for certain that they're going to "fuck the KQ series up the ass", why the hell do you stick around here? There's other boards. Do you just want to spread negativity about this game? Seriously. You'd probably prefer POS having the license. Fucking Emo Quest.

• Hey hey hey, Ani - calm down now. You're getting reactionary here. You know Lambonius doesn't want PoS having the license. You're going to get some itchy fingered Mod in here thinking he's doing good by shutting down the thread, when this is the most activity we've had around here in a while. Just take it down a notch, and think before you post - I know you're not stupid. Don't get all reactionary on things. You know Lambo is the king of hyperbole.

Bt

• @Blackthorne519 said: You know Lambo is the king of hyperbole.

I say we launch a Kickstarter to fund Emo Quest!

• So far, the only thing Tell Tale has done is pony up the bucks to pay for a license

How do you know if Tell-Tale payed for the license? Couldn't have Activision came to Telltale, and offered them the license? Either way both companies are going to make a profit.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Blackthorne519 said: You're going to get some itchy fingered Mod in here thinking he's doing good by shutting down the thread

ohai. I'm not a "he", but I can fill in on the shutting-down front until one of the dudes gets here. :p

I don't want to close this (or any) thread, but I second the call for calm. It seems there's barely a single thread that escapes all this interpersonal sniping. It's getting really old. Whatever issues you've got, can we just skip the shit-giving and focus on the games.

@Blackthorne519 said: I say we launch a Kickstarter to fund Emo Quest!

Starring Colin Farwalker:

zvuoy.jpg

• Emo Quest sounds like the bastard child of Eco Quest... If the latter series is about bleeding heart eco hippies with some ecoterrorism thrown in...

Emo Quest can be about Adam Green's ansgsty goth teenage years... When he starts talking to snakes, rats, bats, spiders, and insects... Oh wait he started on that path in the second game didn't he?

• The thing that really jumps out at me about the article is that it is yet another missed opportunity to reach out to the fans. (And I'm not talking about providing details on the actual game; more on that below.) Even before they announced KQ, since widespread discontent with BTTF first surfaced, Telltale has never reached out to the segment of their customer base who are put off by their "here are some things to click on while we tell you a story" style of adventure gaming.

Failing to make any attempts to win dissatisfied fans back is an exceedingly unusual thing for a company to do unless they're perfectly fine with throwing them over. That's the message I've gotten from Telltale for a year-and-a-half now, so I really shouldn't be surprised at this latest interview.

@Lambonius said: ... that whole first section, where they asked him about adventure games and innovation, seems just filled with passive aggressive arrogance. "I wish Ron and Tim were doing something new," etc., etc.

Of course they wish Ron and Tim were doing something new, because that would validate their own approach to adventure game design. Instead, all of the excitement with the DFA and the Sierra designers making new games (and let's not forget Tex Murphy) is a repudiation of where Telltale has taken the genre, and that self-serving sentence Lamb quoted tells me they damn well know it.

@Lambonius said: We didn't hear anything much about The Walking Dead while BTTF and Jurassic Park were going on, but hey look - there's a game now. The lack of info is just down to where KQ falls on their release timeline.

No, we didn't hear anything much about the game itself but we certainly saw efforts to engage the fans. Go to Telltale's blog and use The Walking Dead tag. Keep clicking the "Older Blogs" link till close to the end. You'll find that within a few months of announcement Telltale had a Twitter page for TWD. There is at least one piece of concept art 10 months before release. They were hyping the game at E3 and reaching out to fans at ComicCon long before the game came out and even before Jurassic Park's release. Where is the equivalent effort for King's Quest? If they had a web page and some marketing art for TWD at the time of announcement, shouldn't they have some for KQ by now?

Add Comment