User Avatar Image

Tales of Monkey Island Season 2 Speculation and Suggestion Thread

posted by Important-Looking Pirate on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 19K users

When's that scheduled for then? :D

564 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Farlander said: I'm not sure I fully agree with that. The reason I'm saying this is because Season 1 of S&M is just immensely, ridiculously easy. I would even say that it's as easy as Back to the Future. Even though there are, in fact, puzzles (unlike BttF) there and nobody tries to 'walk' you through the game, everything's just incredibly easy to figure out.

I do agree with the statement that Devil's Playhouse took a step backwards from Season 2, though, but only because Season 2 took a ridiculously huge step forwards in difficulty (to the point when sometimes it was just frustrating as hell... something like Sam & Max: Hit the Road probably :D ).

And even though I consider TDP to be between Season 1 and Season 2 in those terms, I do admit that it is pretty close to Season 1 on that scale (although I'd personally prefer the golden middle or closer to Season 2, but not as randomly difficult as Season 2). However, to me the originality of the episodes and situations is more than enough to make up for that - the whole thing with the cinema reels was very cool, Noir Sam part, and other stuff. And I think that's one of the things that was missing from BttF.

While I don't have a very high opinion of season 1 I do remember it being tricky at times and I would have said it is harder than TDP and miles ahead of BttF, but difficulty is a hard thing to quantify, one person could breeze though a puzzle that it takes another an hour to figure out, so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

Diffulcity wasn't the only thing I meant though when I said TDP took a step back. TDP was the first of these Telltale games to incorperate these shallow, limited locations with very few selectable items. I mean it was still no where near as bad as BttF, where you sometimes were in screens where you could only click one thing and any player interactivity was just an illusion, but TDP wasn't a natural progression, or even on par with what we got in season 2.

I feel bad hating on TDP because I did like it, there was just this underlying shallowness that seemed to be the start of a major shift in the way Telltale make games. Something that's still happening and seemingly showing no signs of stopping any time soon. It was the beginning of the death of the adventure game and the birth of the interactive movie.

• Yeah, I can see where you're going from.

I still hope for King's Quest.

And I just went through the first episode of Walking Dead... it's immensely better than BttF and JP combined... And even though it's not what I'd want from an adventure game, I was really digging the character-driven narrative, the dialogues and choices, as well as intensity of the few action sequences and, well, choices (which are reinforced by the fact that you can't save the game). I personally had a positive experience (not without complaints, though, but still). I certainly hope that King's Quest will not be anything like Walking Dead, but I think that TellTale is finally finding interesting gameplay things in their new 'interactive movie' type of things which I like.

• Yes, I've written before that King's Quest will be a major turning point for the company one way or the other. I suppose we can only wait and see.

• Lucasarts has an unnamed title for E3! Maybe it will be a Monkey Island title.

• @coolsome said: Lucasarts has an unnamed title for E3! Maybe it will be a Monkey Island title.

This could be a double edge sword. Because all the original creators are in TTG or in Double Fine. I HIGHLY doubt its a monkey island game, because if it is, it could be the return of

MONKEY KOMBAT!!!!

• @Everlast said: This could be a double edge sword. Because all the original creators are in TTG or in Double Fine. I HIGHLY doubt its a monkey island game, because if it is, it could be the return of

MONKEY KOMBAT!!!!

Or CMI HD. :p

• You guys are adorable for thinking it could be anything but Star Wars related.

• Actually, it's been confirmed that the unnamed title for E3 is a Star Wars game.

• @Farlander said: Actually, it's been confirmed that the unnamed title for E3 is a Star Wars game.

1332150988.png

• Any point in hoping for a surprise announcement at E3 from Telltale?

Add Comment