User Avatar Image

Do you think Walking Dead look would fit Sam and Max?

posted by G1orkatsos on - last edited - Viewed by 1K users

Don't get me wrong, i really like the way the Sam and Max games look and how they have improved with each season graphically. The Devil's Playhouse looks downright awesome. But wouldn't be cool to have Season 4 lets say in the comic book-hand drawn style that the Walking Dead is?
I know, it may be like a big departure in terms of looks compared to the other ones, but it would make the game feel closer to its comic book roots. It would give the game a fresh new face, and with a more vivid color palette it could bring the older days of Sam and Max to life.

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'd love to see a Sam & Max game which looks like Purcell's paintings more than like his inked illustrations. That would mean no or very subtle outlines, and full shading and color, but with a richer more saturated look than we're used to, visible paintstrokes, etc.

• I fully support Jake's idea. I love 3D Sam and Max, but a more cartoony or painterly approach would be so awesome

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

Purcell's paintings - particularly the comic and Season covers - actually use outlines quite a bit. Mostly black, but not necessarily. Also getting, for example, that acrylic wash structure effect or the all colorful shadows into the next game, that would of course be AWESOME. Would beat the artificial grain of Season 3 hands down. ;)

• You're right there are outlines but they're not as uniform, and more pronounced on characters than backgrounds.

• @Vainamoinen said: Purcell's paintings - particularly the comic and Season covers - actually use outlines quite a bit. Mostly black, but not necessarily. Also getting, for example, that acrylic wash structure effect or the all colorful shadows into the next game, that would of course be AWESOME. Would beat the artificial grain of Season 3 hands down. ;)

Wait until you see the cell shading in "Fables"... it'll blow your socks off! ;)

• @Jake said: I'd love to see a Sam & Max game which looks like Purcell's paintings more than like his inked illustrations. That would mean no or very subtle outlines, and full shading and color, but with a richer more saturated look than we're used to, visible paintstrokes, etc.

This!! That would be incredibly cool, and look AMAZING!
    That's really great to see you like that idea too, Jake! It'd be so neat if the rest of Telltale felt the same way, and Season 4 ends up having one heckuva sweet new art style!

• i would rather the game looked like SSFIV...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDMOrE8LBZQ

SSFIV has that nice colorful acrylic feel to it, with some water color...
    I feel that this would fit sam and max pretty well... :P besides, purcell uses oil pastel and acrylic...

this would be pretty faithful to the art style

• One thing I love about Purcell's painting style would be hard to capture -- he tends to use colors to outline and overlay elements in such a way that the "sketch" origins of the image are still in evidence. It gives his work a really lively and spontaneous look, but it would be really hard to capture that in 3-D -- at best it would probably "boil" a lot in motion, or require some recoloration from scene to scene or even between camera angles (beyond what lighting can do.)

• Actually thinking about it I would rather no artist effects to the graphics, it would make things too long to render and other parts of the game (especially as it is episodic) would be cut back on and would probably make the games shorter. I would rather they'd just make the character models closer to the look of the original comics than try to emulate the look of painting or inking.

Add Comment