User Avatar Image

The Last Item You Purchased?

posted by Hayden on - last edited - Viewed by 24.7K users

What was it? Whether it was a packet of chips, a video game, a CD, a magazine, a gun, a flower, a yacht or an island, post it here.

My most recent purchase was a CD - Dream Theater's "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence".

5.4K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@der_ketzer said: capsule_467x181.jpg

And you said you wouldn't. Tut tut.

As for me...

header_292x136.jpg?t=1320101581

• @puzzlebox said: At the age of 18 you're old enough to vote, drive a car, smoke tobacco, get married, have a child, even go to war... but no drinking, nope.

I thought I had a perfect comeback, in that the drinking age was still 18 on military bases. At least it was when I was under 21. So if you actually did go to war, they'd let you drink. Except I just checked, and that's not the case anymore. Way to go, Congress.

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

@Alcoremortis said: I believe that the age restriction on alcohol is based on studies that show that underage drinking can lead to an alcohol dependency or damage brain maturation.

So you're saying that the same country that allows creationism to be taught as an "alternative" to evolutionary theory has used hard science to come up with the age 21 law? Yeah right. :p

And even if they HAD considered the brain maturity angle, that just makes leaving the legal age at 18 for all the other stuff even MORE nonsensical. So it's ok to go into a warzone AND POTENTIALLY DIE, or to get started on your smoking habit and fuck up your lungs, or put yourself in control of a vehicle which can harm/kill yourself and others when driven recklessly (remember statistically it's young male drivers who are most often involved in accidents, largely because of risk-taking behaviours that are potentially due to the prefrontal cortex still developing)... but good to know the government will help protect everyone's delicate brains by not allowing them to consume alcohol until the age of 21.

I think it's much more likely to be a puritanical hangover (haha) from the prohibition era.

• @puzzlebox said: So you're saying that the same country that allows creationism to be taught as an "alternative" to evolutionary theory has used hard science to come up with the age 21 law? Yeah right. :p

And even if they HAD considered the brain maturity angle, that just makes leaving the legal age at 18 for all the other stuff even MORE nonsensical. So it's ok to go into a warzone AND POTENTIALLY DIE, or to get started on your smoking habit and fuck up your lungs, or put yourself in control of a vehicle which can harm/kill yourself and others when driven recklessly (remember statistically it's young male drivers who are most often involved in accidents, largely because of risk-taking behaviours that are potentially due to the prefrontal cortex still developing)... but good to know the government will help protect everyone's delicate brains by not allowing them to consume alcohol until the age of 21.

I think it's much more likely to be a puritanical hangover (haha) from the prohibition era.

There's nothing that says it couldn't be both. People are a lot more keen on believing and referring to scientific studies when such studies agree with their world-view. Though now that you brought creationism into this, I have a very strong urge to go and punch something.

• Cheap Technica Wireless Keyboard and Mouse bundle: £15

Its for my Raspberry Pi.

Best thing about it is the reciever is that not only is it tiny, but it controls both keyboard AND Mouse.
    (Just plug in the usb adapter and turn the mouse on. The keyboard responds accordingly)

Its light, and pretty flimsy, but it works great on my Pi! :D
    (Just plugged it in, and it instantly worked like a treat!)

Now I'll have an extra USB port to play with! :D

• User Avatar Image
    puzzlebox Telltale Staff

A souvenir fridge magnet for my Mum, from a stall near the departure gate. It was tagged $4.95. When I took it to the register the shopkeeper said it had to be cash... I didn't have enough, so left it. :(

Just as the plane was boarding I ran back over and said, "Well I do have $3.25 in cash, would you give it to me for that?" SCORE. :D

[ATTACH]3003[/ATTACH]

I tend to get Mum something from most every country I visit - not planned, just a habit I've fallen into to remind her I love her (especially since I don't get to see her very often). It's nice to go home and see those little things from around the world all lined up on her dresser. :)

• Completed my Tex Murphy collection with the purchase of Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive & Overseer.

• 51iI%2BNiSDOL.jpg

I got it from Australia because it wont be out in UK tiill July and we use same blu ray region as them.

Add Comment