posted by Noname215 on - last edited - Viewed by 900 users

The Three Stooges
The Marx Brothers
Laurel & Hardy
Abbot & Costello
Lucille Ball
Charlie Chaplin

45 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Yeah, the thing is that with the Marx Brothers is that even after all this time... they're still funny. Even as a little kid I could understand the humor and absolutely loved it because the jokes they made because for the most part they didn't require a lot of knowledge of the time period for the jokes to be funny. And I think that's part of what makes them so great.

• @Alcoremortis said: Yeah, the thing is that with the Marx Brothers is that even after all this time... they're still funny. Even as a little kid I could understand the humor and absolutely loved it because the jokes they made because for the most part they didn't require a lot of knowledge of the time period for the jokes to be funny.

Modern jokes just start off with a different beginning to the punch line, "How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know!"

• I'd have to go with the Marx Brothers, Three Stooges and Abbott and Costello are off as even though they are funny they were sort of a send up of the Marx Brothers and Laurel and Hardy respectively, I haven't seen that much of Laurel and Hardy to really judge, the same with Lucille Ball, I really like Charlie Chaplin but I find that he was a better director than he was a commedian (which don't get me wrong he was a great comedian but that makes him an even greater director) so while I may enjoy his work more as a piece of art I don't find it as funny as the Marx Brothers.

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@Secret Fawful said: Weird Al is great, but it's not something no one else could do. The comedians in the first post can't be truly replaced- and no the Three Stooges movie doesn't do the job. This is my opinion, though.

Certainly Weird Al's parodies are something that many other people do just as well as Weird Al. However, he also does original songs that are done in humorous fashion in a particular person or band's style, which while not parodies, are easily identified as sounding like the group or person of whom he's doing the pastiche.

Those are what will be irreplaceable once Weird Al's gone.

• Weird Al is absolutely not funny.

The Three Stooges are my personal favorites. Never cared for Abbot & Costello, Chaplin, Laurel & Hardy. The Marx Brothers can be funny, but I always found Chico to be unnecessary, Harpo to be wierd, and Groucho's sarcasm got old after a while. The Stooges timing was perfect, their jokes were perfect, and I never got tired of seeing them hurt themselves. The stuff you see in comedies today lacks class. These guys had.

And no disrespect to the fans of the other guys I mentioned. Those guys were classic in their own ways. But I love the "knuckleheads" more than most.

Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

• Ehhh...

[LIST=1]
    [*]Charlie Chaplin
    [*]Abbot & Costello
    [*]The Marx Brothers
    [*]The Three Stooges
    [*]Laurel & Hardy
    [*]Lucille Ball
    ... The Holocaust
    Weird Al
    [/LIST]

There.

• ^Not sure if sarcastic or antisemetic.

• @Sausy Gibbon said: ^Not sure if sarcastic or antisemetic.

I've heard holocaust jokes that, despite being offensive as all hell, have made me laugh. Weird Al has never done this. So. Yeah.

Add Comment