User Avatar Image

What about KQ appeals to you?

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 898 users

What do you love about KQ--What do you love most? What draws you to the series, what are it's best points/features/etc? What drew you to it originally, and with what game did you first meet the series?

57 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • If you're going to have the Black Cloak Society be a facet of a KQ game, there are several better ways to go about it:
    -There is no overarching thing tying them together outside of them being a group of evil individuals. There is no prophecy and not everything that ever happened (for example, Graham having a heart attack) was the result of a BCS member. The Royal Family (and Connor) just happens to foil the BCS' goals at every turn...Not because of fate or destiny or a prophecy. Just pure coincidence because The Royal Family are the good guys.
    -The BCS isn't a tightly bound organization with a "Father", more like just a loose, huge association of people with similar motivations, whose goals perhaps overlap at certain times. They don't always talk about their individual plots with each other either--They could scheme to "one up" the other. A very loose confederation. Again, nothing to do with any prophecies. Their history does not need explaining, they don't have any ties to the Royal Family except in that the Royal Family has just gotten in the way several times.
    -The BCS doesn't include every villain from the series, only Alhazred, Mordack and, Manannan. Manannan didn't steal Alex for any particular reason except that he was a wicked cruel bastard. The other villains are just plain old fashioned evil people who have no tie to any other bad guy and whose only aim/motivation is pure and simple to be evil/get power/etc. No complexities.

You don't want to turn the Black Cloak Society into the "Starcon" of the KQ series---an albatross around the series, restricting possible stories.

• The only way I want to see Black Cloak Society tackled again, if it is tackled in an official game;

Is to reveal Shadrack. His character should be limited to that game, and that game only, and defeated... If he makes token references to characters/events from previous games, it should only be to Mordack, and Abdul Alhazred alone. As that is the limits of his references in KQ6.

Manannan is loose possible reference, since Shadrack probably would have known him through his meetings iwth Mordack, as Manannan the cat was living on the island with him, and its likely that Abdul Alhazred knew about Manannan as well. But still those references should be limited.

Shadrack should have his own plot, that a hero would foil... In a nice stand alone sort of way, with actual closure (no open ended cliffhangers).

In no way do I want to see a retread of 'every villain' in the series is a member of the Black Cloaks... It might even be interesting if Mordack isn't a member... That the organization is seperate entity but have had interactions with the dark Wizard in the past....

Also Shadrack need not be the 'leader of the organization'.... But just an equal to people like Abdul Alhazred. A twist would be that Abdul actually was the leader!

• @BagginsKQ said: Also Shadrack need not be the 'leader of the organization'.... But just an equal to people like Abdul Alhazred. A twist would be that Abdul actually was the leader!

No surprise twists like that. Let's not go into M. Night Shmyalan territory.

• Would it really be a surprise? I mean lets face it. Abdul is pretty much the only Black Cloak we have seen plotting... KQ6 sort of places him as an superior to Shadrack, and Shadrack sort of an advisor to him (its left somewhat vague enough that Shadrack may not even be a member)... It was the KQ Companion that sort of placed them as equals (with maybe Shadrack being a little more involved), and definitely specified Shadrack as a member of the society (Mordack's membership or not is vague in both sources however, he isn't specified either way).

In a future official game, we could hear from Shadrack about how the 'society collapsed' after their leader Abdul was defeated, and captured! Thus you get rid of any chance of a complicated, bring out a "Black Cloak' of the week style plots... Shadrack will be left to stand on his own ground, as an unaffiliated villain!

• @Chyron8472 said: To me, The Father exists only to explain why all these crazy things keep happening to the royal family. No more, no less.

In a way, it makes more sense when one tries to say that their need to go on all these quests is caused by a deliberate act rather than coincidental. That's why I don't hate him. His action makes somewhat sense to the story. (Seriously--Alexander only met Cassima once, for a few minutes, and can't stop thinking about her.)

For TSL to do what I previously mentioned (*grrr*) makes no sense, adds nothing interesting to the canon titles, and has no reason to exist other than to complicate things that shouldn't be complicated.

Considering that Alexander lived a very sheltered life, it is possible for him to be smitten and stalker obsessed over Cassima after just one meeting. The KQ games are also fairytale games, so it is possible. In fairytales, it is common for two characters fall in love quickly. For instance, the prince married Cinderella after realizing the glass slipper belongs to her; they only met once before.

I have a harder time believing that Alexander can swim.

• I want to see the series go back to its fairytale roots. If one thinks about it, most of the KQ games are strongly based on fairy tales and popular movies. Part 6 is heavily inspired by Aladdin whereas part 4 is partly inspired by "The Wizard of Oz".

• Considering that Alexander lived a very sheltered life, it is possible for him to be smitten and stalker obsessed over Cassima after just one meeting. The KQ games are also fairytale games, so it is possible. In fairytales, it is common for two characters fall in love quickly. For instance, the prince married Cinderella after realizing. the glass slipper belongs to her; they only met once before.

Sure, just look how Alexander looked at the barmaid when he first saw her! Also how he was eying his own sister! Basically he liked her smooth, clean white skin, rosy lips, he has to avert his eyes from her breasts. It basically says he'd basically jump her, if she wasn't her sister... I kid you not, the narrator gets pretty specific! (let's not forget the bit where Rosella tells him to undress in front of him so she can check out his ass! Seriously he was probably working really hard to hide his "rising" shame)

Over the summer she [Rosella] had developed certain assets. She had noticed that these new assets had a very favorable effect on the young men of Daventry.-SNW, pg 6

If you "look" or "feel" Rosella the game says, "Princess Rosella is gorgeous! Why you'd be interested in if she weren't your own sister! Her hair is long silky, and golden. Here eyes are as blue as the bluest sky. Here skin is creamy white. And her BODY... Well!! Embarassed, you clear your throat and avert your eyes."
    If you try to "touch rosella", Rosella says, "WATCH IT, FELLA!!"

I have a harder time believing that Alexander can swim.

Well he can... live with it! Maybe he was taught to swim when he was a little baby (many parents do teach their children to swim as infants). It's something babies learn, and it just sticks with them.

Considering he was kidnapped by the lake near the walls of Castle Daventry, maybe that's what his parents were doing at the time, ;). Teaching him how to swim....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZX5injL-NA&feature=related

I'd have a harder time believing an infant would make an effective 'slave', ;)... Why a wizard would put up with a crying baby for a few years, until they are old enough to take care of themselves and his affairs! I'd think a baby would cut into his Wizard time...
    I want to see the series go back to its fairytale roots. If one thinks about it, most of the KQ games are strongly based on fairy tales and popular movies. Part 6 is heavily inspired by Aladdin whereas part 4 is partly inspired by "The Wizard of Oz".

KQ5 is a bit of Sin Bad, a bit of Return of the King, a bit of Fantasia, a bit of Merlin/Arthur, a bit of 40 Thieves, a bit of Jack the Giant Killer (evil wizard on a weird twisted island), etc.

• @BagginsKQ said: Sure, just look how Alexander looked at the barmaid when he first saw her! Also how he was eying his own sister! Basically he liked her smooth, clean white skin, rosy lips, he has to avert his eyes from her breasts. It basically says he'd basically jump her, if she wasn't her sister... I kid you not, the narrator gets pretty specific! (let's not forget the bit where Rosella tells him to undress in front of him so she can check out his ass! Seriously he was probably working really hard to hide his "rising" shame)

my point exactly. Alexander had never seen a women before, so it is natural for him to be the obsessive and clingy type when it comes to women.

Well he can... live with it! Maybe he was taught to swim when he was a little baby (many parents do teach their children to swim as infants). It's something babies learn, and it just sticks with them.

Haha! That made me laugh! Lol

Considering he was kidnapped by the lake near the walls of Castle Daventry, maybe that's what his parents were doing at the time, ;). Teaching him how to swim....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZX5injL-NA&feature=related

I can imagine his parents letting him swim in the moat with the moat monster. Haha

I'd have a harder time believing an infant would make an effective 'slave', ;)... Why a wizard would put up with a crying baby for a few years, until they are old enough to take care of themselves and his affairs! I'd think a baby would cut into his Wizard time...

didn't you know that he had the cat take care of and teach Alexander the ways of infant labor? Lol

• ...or he had Mordack baby sit :p... to his brother's chagrin...

• Just wanted to drop by and say I really enjoyed the in depth analysis of Graham's hat color! (seriously)

Think it's kind of odd that some the cyan/light blue actually seems to fit better composition-wise than the dark blue, which seems a bit crazy rich/heavy looking. Someone ought to try to reproduce that hat with blue dye made from approximations of the plants found in Daventry... Or does the hat have a backstory I don't remember.. hmm

Add Comment