User Avatar Image

Derek Karlavaegen

posted by BagginsKQ on - last edited - Viewed by 610 users

This is more of an extension to this topic here but a little more specific.

Who would like to see a new guidebook by Derek Karlavaegen as a PDF or bonus item included with the boxed set of Telltale's new King's Quest game?

If anyone doesn't know who Derek is, he is an old explorer and wanderer who landed the Green Isles, nearly twenty years before KQ6. He wrote the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles, the manual and pack-in copyright protection for KQ6. This is the thing I wonder if they should create for telltale's KQ to have the feel of the early KQ games that had such manuals, with stories, etc.

He was in his Mid 30s to 40s at the time of Guidebook, and somewhere in his 50 to 60s around the time of KQ6.

Karlavaegen.PNG

I have put together a very detailed biography of him on the KQ wiki (including everything there is to know about his history, personality, and interactions with other KQ characters, and others);

Derek Karlavaegen's biography

The short version (but do please read the long version) is he wrote the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles, and decades later, went on to record the events of King's Quest 3, in an interview with Alexander. He moved into Manannan's house, a few weeks later, where he discovered the Eye Between the Worlds.

Prince Alexander's Own Story! Exclusive Interview

Eye Between the Worlds

The eye is a mechanical computer (perhaps built by Pope Sylvester or Manannan) that allowed him to send messages one way to 20th century Earth (he called it the Other World), in hopes that someone would discover them. The Eye was discovered in the bookshelves near Manannan's desk, and can be seen in the game, KQ3.

EBTW.png

Later he recorded the events of KQ5, after visiting and interviewing King Graham. He gave Alexander a copy of the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles to help him learn about the kingdom before he got there (Alex lost the copy in the shipreck, but had memorized the Ancient Ones language and myths, allowing him to scale the cliffs, and make his way through the traps of the catacombs).

He was later invited to Alexander's wedding, and wrote the chronicle of KQ6 events to be placed in the archives of both kingdoms.

He is one of Alexander's closest friends (whom he respects and trusts deeply), and had been for a long time. He has spent much time hobnobing around in the royal courts of both kingdoms, and has deep respect for King Graham as well.

54 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @BagginsKQ said:
    In comparison, you are a nobody!

True, I am a nobody - but my opinion matters to me. And Derek Kalavageenanana is lame.

What is Peter Spear up to today?

Bt

• Take your pick;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:The_King%27s_Quest_Companion

Peter Spear used to live in Mill Valley, CA. He died in 1998 during the storms that were wrecking havoc on Marin County. The last phone call I had with him was in 1998, and he told me a tree went through his roof. I found his phone listing again in 2004, and Al Lowe, Leisure Suit Larry's creator, and I discussed it via e-mail, and I telephoned the number on a Sunday evening. Virginia Soper answered and informed me Peter had died six years earlier. I informed her Mr. Spear taught everything about being an author and helped me all during high school with assignments and ethics in proper manners and behavior. I told her I thank him for that and she said good-bye and the phone call ended. I told Al, and he told Ken Williams, and that was that. We all went separate ways thereafter. Coffee4binky (talk) 09:11, 1 March 2009 (UTC)
    Not that I'd trust anyone with a name like "Coffee4binky". BTW, for anyone wondering Virginia Soper is the wife of Peter Spear.

...or he's living the highlife near San Franscisco. Big house, etc. He apparently still has a large collection of KQ memorabilia/concept material he received from Roberta and Ken Williams themselves. Big stories about his friendship with the Williams... and he had been hobnobing around with Cesar Bittar back in 2006...

http://web.archive.org/web/20070106222338/www.tsl-game.com/journal/

• @Blackthorne519 said: The games are the games. Derek Wahtshisnutts is just a bit of outside fun, but he has no bearing on the games what-so-ever. [...] I don't need all kinds of information, back stories or nunsuch to let me enjoy the games. Some people dig it; I never give it a thought when I'm playing.

I agree.

@Blackthorne519 said: You obviously haven't played KQ6...

Ferryman (KQ6 script): "The island's currents keep us pretty isolated. I can only recall three visitors in my lifetime. When I was a boy a wanderer came, Alhazred himself arrived many years ago, and now you. We have almost no contact with the outside world, but we're content with our little kingdom. At least, we always were in the past."

[WALL OF TEXT]I don't think you understand Blackthorne's point. From his perspective (and mine), the games (the core 7, for my own part) are what matters; the rest of the materials are periphery. Sure, they can be interesting and fun. But I think he's trying to say that the KQ Companion has little to no more bearing on the canon games than perhaps the fan-made games do.

With that in mind, that ferryman quote (which is only on the Amiga version, btw--I had to look it up because I didn't remember it) says nothing of who visited the Land of the Green Isles before Alexander, nor does it make a difference to know as the ferryman's point was only to convey their isolation.

Frankly, I look at the KQ Companion like I do the Hyrule Historia. It's extra stuff that someone (or several someones) wrote who thought it would be fun to expand on its franchise's universe. I don't consider it important when it comes to the games (or even valid in some cases, such as the case of the 3-part Zelda timeline--seriously, Link dying is not a required part of the OOT story.)

• With that in mind, that ferryman quote (which is only on the Amiga version, btw--I had to look it up because I didn't remember it) says nothing of who visited the Land of the Green Isles before Alexander, nor does it make a difference to know as the ferryman's point was only to convey their isolation.

Actually run SciViewer, and you'll find its in the pc version too even on the CD version, along with some other bits of narrative that you can't access in the game for whatever reason. I think they even did the voiceovers for it... It's just strangely not accessable.

I think Chyron you and Blackthorne missed my point, from the getgo... My point is that the manual that is needed for KQ6, the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles, needed for copy protection is by "Derek Karlavaegen". It's a required part of the game... Ignoring the Companion for a moment, you can't ignore the Guidebook... It comes with every version of KQ6 in a printed or PDF form.

BTW, I don't appreciate both of you hijacking this thread, to complain about the KQ companion, when this thread was more about the Manual material like the Guidebook, or the short stories included in the early KQ manuals.... That stuff in the first six KQ games wasn't "periphery" it made up and was required for the complete KQ experience (how else would you learn more about Edward, more about his wife, more about the three treasures, those who stole them, more about Hagatha, Manannan, Gerwain, etc. Infact some of it even offered a clue on what to do in the game, setting up direct objectives). If anything that's that's the version of "Derek Karlavaegen" that even matters as far as the games are concerned...

BTW, frankly mainly mentioned the Guidebook of the Land of the Green Isles in my initial post, but didn't directly mention the "Companion" (though I did mention the 'periphery' extended history of him beyond the companion just to explain how and why he ended up being used in the games by developers of KQ6) That stuff is less important, to the initial question of having additional pack in material added to the game. "feelies" if you will, to use the term invented by Infocom for packin material to describe these types of manuals (or other things added to the game for value).

Frankly if you don't care about those kind of packins, what's the point of you even coming into this thread? Troll?

Troller?

troller.jpg

Troller is looking for a response...ANY response, and he will chum the waters with complaints, insults, compliments, and inflammatory tidbits hoping that someone...ANYONE, will take the bait. Generally quite harmless - practices a form of catch and release. Nonetheless, he can upset the delicate ecology of a discussion forum. Once a forum becomes aware of his presence, however, all feeding activity ceases and Troller must move on to more promising waters.

Also calling KQ8 "peryphery", and not part of the "core" of the series...

You might want to check again;

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30223

• I think everyone is forgetting that the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles is actually IN KQ6. In Alhazred's trunk, actually. It is mentioned by name as being among Alhazred's possessions IN THE GAME, with a comment from the narrator saying that book would've been of aid to Alexander. I think that enough confirms Derek's existence in the KQ universe.

From KQ6:

Narrator: "A few worn leather books occupy the trunk. The top one is entitled "Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles. A book like that might have been a big help when Alexander first arrived! The trunk's owner obviously found it interesting, too, for the guidebook is dog-eared and stained."

Also, Jane Jensen, who co-designed and co-wrote KQ6, ALSO wrote the Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles, which was "written" by Derek and came packaged with KQ6. It's not just fan fiction stuff.

• Anakin, its not just that, but there are other references within KQ6 (self-contradictory to the above quote you mentioned) where the narrator explains 'Alexander read about that in the Guidebook', or explains that Alexander, 'the journeyer, needs to check out the guidebook', as if he has a copy on himself.

Here is an example;

"Reading about the Ancient Ones in the "Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles" may help a puzzled journeyer.",

Basically its the only explanation for how Alexander translated the text on the Cliffs of Logic, and knew about the riddles of the traps in the Catacombs in order to get past them.

• @BagginsKQ said: Anakin, its not just that, but there are other references within KQ6 (self-contradictory to the above quote you mentioned) where the narrator explains Alexander 'read about that in the Guidebook', or tells Alexander to 'check out the guidebook', as if he has a copy on himself.

Basically its the only explanation for how Alexander translated the text on the Cliffs of Logic, and knew about the riddles of the traps in the Catacombs in order to get past them.

Well, remember, in KQ6, WE (the player) are Alexander, just as we are the protagonist in all the KQ games. We're stepping into his boots. He may not have the Guidebook, but we do, and we help him finish his journey with it.

• From the KQ6 Hintbook published by Sierra;

Did you figure out;
    ""That Alhazred found a copy of the "Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles," and that was why he decided to come to this kingdom and take over?", KQ6 Hintbook, pg 74

Well, remember, in KQ6, WE (the player) are Alexander, just as we are the protagonist in all the KQ games. We're stepping into his boots. He may not have the Guidebook, but we do, and we help him finish his journey with it.

Fourth wall much? Suspension of disbelief?

• @BagginsKQ said: From the KQ6 Hintbook published by Sierra;

Did you figure out;
    ""That Alhazred found a copy of the "Guidebook to the Land of the Green Isles," and that was why he decided to come to this kingdom and take over?", KQ6 Hintbook, pg 74

Fourth wall much? Suspension of disbelief?

Doesn't the KQ series feature both in small amounts? I mean KQ6 is a game where if you knock Alexander off the cliffs enough times he'll tell you to stop making him do that.

• Only in the first three games, which was more 2nd person narration (see things like the note on the tree, or the hole in the rock, or the message behind the tapestry). In those games you were the character, you weren't a player controlling the character. It was very clear that "you are Graham" or "you are Gwydion" and your knowledge is supposed to be nearly as limited as their own!

It was pretty much eliminated in the fourth, where the perspective changed to Rosella's with a more third person style narration (not counting a few easter eggs such as if you try to use naughty words, and the notes in the bottle found in the whale)... The the one example you use in KQ6 is an 'easter egg', and not part of the story.

One may argue that the death voiceovers in KQ7 are the protaganists either talking to themselves or to you as the player... But its not meant to totally 'break the fourth wall'.

Roberta also said in interviews that stories had to make sense from the perpective of the person in the world. They aren't being pushed forward by the 'hand of god'... That's why many point out the logical issue, behind Alexander choosing the right genie bottle in KQ6, yet never having saw the bottle himself... Or puzzles like Graham giving the bottle to the witch, since he never knew it had a genie in it! Those are examples where Roberta even contradicted herself!

Now if you want fourth wall breaking, and its intentional, even beyond what was seen in KQ1-3, go play Space Quest! The narrator would poke fun at the player, Roger Wilco,. Wilco would acknowledge the narrator, etc. Or you can play TSL...

Add Comment