User Avatar Image

Steam Sale Spotlight

posted by Chyron8472 on - last edited - Viewed by 24.4K users

Hereupon exists a place to discuss current Steam Spotlight deals and your opinion of the games' value and/or the sale price.

4.9K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Don't worry, I'll do it for him.

The exchange current rate is £1 > $1.5516. This means that £11.24 converts to $17.44.

So basically, that's $9.99 in the US and $17.44 in the UK, almost twice the price. Which is quite simply BULLSHIT.

• That's what's keeping me from buying. The $/€ rate is almost as bad.
    Well that and I know that I'd never play this because I hate the editor.

• Oh, that. Well... isn't UK pretty much almost always screwed with prices? Not that I do not feel for them, but screams of 'BULLSHIT' for the price differences is kind of a common occurrence at this point, isn't it?

• @Farlander said: Oh, that. Well... isn't UK pretty much almost always screwed with prices? Not that I do not feel for them, but screams of 'BULLSHIT' for the price differences is kind of a common occurrence at this point, isn't it?

Well the EU is always screwed. The UK gets good prices most of the time.

And if it's $9.99 the "standard" is that it's 9.99€. Not 12.49€...

Something even better...

@Farlander said: Today's Daily Deal is Darkspore. It's... OK. £3.79 / $4.99.
    and it's 12.49€. Suck it EU customers. Take that huge EA c***. I for one will not.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Farlander said: Oh, that. Well... isn't UK pretty much almost always screwed with prices? Not that I do not feel for them, but screams of 'BULLSHIT' for the price differences is kind of a common occurrence at this point, isn't it?

Technically, yeah. It's never a straight conversion, but I don't tend to complain unless there's no conversion at all - 9.99 in both dollars and pounds, for example. And even then all you get is a little (grr) from me these days.

But this... this was just bullshit. There is no logical reason for the UK, or indeed Europe, to be charged more than the US. If there was no conversion, that'd be lazy, but understandable. This required someone to actually convert the price, and they did it badly.

Still not sure why I'm so pissed off? Well, if £11.24 converted to dollars is $17.44, then just think of it the other way round. $9.99 converts to... £6.44. Which is almost HALF what we're actually made to pay.

Like I said, bullshit.

And ketzer... Jesus. I didn't realize EA hated Europe so much.

• Well to compare the EU price for Darkspore a bit more: We pay more for a single copy than a US customer pays for the 4 pack.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

That... that really does defy logic. Fuck EA, man. Fuck 'em.

• I think EA is run by corporate who don't really understand how the video game industry works, and are just blindly guessing everything based on knowledge from entirerly different industries they used to work in.

• @RetroVortex said: I think EA is run by corporate who don't really understand how the video game industry works, and are just blindly guessing everything based on knowledge from entirerly different industries they used to work in.

They are just doing what they did way back when games were only sold in retail stores because comparing prices was not as easy back then and the import postage would ruin the money you save anyway.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Eh, EA suck. End of.

Today's Daily Deal is SOL: Exodus, a Space Sim I know nothing about. £3.74 / $4.99.

Two weekend deals. First is Napoleon: Total War. It's free-to-play all wekeend, and the price is down to
    £7.49 / $9.99. None of the DLC is reduced though, so the Peninsular Campaign is the same price as the game. :(

Other deal is Cities XL 2012. Half price at £7.50 / $10. Oddly exact there.

Add Comment