User Avatar Image

Soundtracks and Soundtracks Only

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Given the proliferation of "The X Threads", I've made a thread committed to music... but only soundtracks! Which ones have caught your interest lately? Why?

I remembered Musically Inspired discussing how he felt the original Batman theme was stronger than the new Batman theme of the Nolan trilogy. While I disagreed, I did agree about one thing... the Danny Elfman soundtrack is amazing.

It's awesome Hollywood music at its best. Bold, big, brassy. "Waltz to the Death" is a creepy track that just invokes the image of Joker dancing along at the top of the cathedral.

The actual Batman theme itself is interwoven into many of the action sequences, and the spirit of this 80s Batman just pops to mind. That raw fighter, cruising along through the skies, forming the Batman silhouette upon the moon. Awesome.

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I love soundtracks. I have Metal Gear Solid ones I have the Ape Escape 1 soundtrack, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Stardust, Hunger Games, various Doctor Who ones and proboly others I can't think of right now.

• hPJ3d.jpg

I'm hooked. I listen to this a lot.
    It qualifies as a soundtrack because it is official music bundled with Skyward Sword.

EDIT: oh... and by "soundtrack," DAISHI I hope you mean "score." I love film and game scores (instrumentals), but normally not soundtracks (ie. with vocals). Albeit with certain exceptions, like Simple and Clean and Passion from Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 respectively.

• I always operated under the idea that a soundtrack is the recording and the score is the written music that contains all the parts so that the conductor can conduct properly.

Otherwise, I don't know what the hell I've been buying all these years.

• @Chyron8472 said: hPJ3d.jpg

I'm hooked. I listen to this a lot.
    It qualifies as a soundtrack because it is official music bundled with Skyward Sword.

EDIT: oh... and by "soundtrack," DAISHI I hope you mean "score." I love film and game scores (instrumentals), but normally not soundtracks (ie. with vocals). Albeit with certain exceptions, like Simple and Clean and Passion from Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 respectively.

It can be either. For the purpose Of the thread, I mean music originating from a game or movie.

• Now that we've mentioned it, even though it's all licensed music, Pulp Fiction, Snatch and Need for Speed: Underground have like the awesomest selection of licensed music that fits the movie/game they're in perfectly.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@RetroVortex said: My little brother keeps putting Phineas and Ferb on in the morning.

I actually secretly stay in bed and watch an episode or two.
    (I um.. kinda like it... XD)

Nothing embarrassing about that - Phineas and Ferb are awesome.

I completely forgot to mention I listen to video game soundtracks. LOTS of Video Game soundtracks. Mostly stuff garnered from Indie Music Bundles at the moment, so things like the Mighty Milky Way, Imposter Nostalgia, stuff from games I've never even played. It's all good stuff and great to listen to while writing.

• Bwahaha If we're talking Pure OSTs I have way, way too many! XD

Loads from Indie bundles alone!

But I also have over 200 GOG titles, many of which include a soundtrack as well!

I will admit I like the Descent Soundtrack, some of the tunes off Might and Magic, and I love almost every indie chiptune I hear.

(Once I get my 2 32gb Class 10 microSDs and my second memory card adapter for my PSP I'm going to add loads more music to my old card (planning to split my games and music into two 64gb cards you see (a 128gb PSP is a beastly concept! :D)). I'd have 64gb to play with, and thats A LOT of music)

(I'm into chiptunes at the moment. Virt and Disasterpeace are amongst the best at their craft. Preschtale by C-Jeff is just fantastic. Taking the concept to a whole new level!)

EDIT: Oh and Castlevania.
    I'm really liking Castlevania's music again. Enough for me to go back to the games and play them on the Wii.
    (Emulating NES on Wii and playing with the Wiimote is very comfortable. I recommend it! :D)

I'm also unashamably admitting that I practically know Megaman 2's music off by heart! HAHA!

• I've been listening to the Max Payne 3 soundtrack alot and throw in some of the twisted metal and I'm happy.

• I rather enjoyed the Mafia II soundtrack(As for film, I do own Batman, Batman Returns, Jurassic Park...). As for compilation soundtracks, nothing beats Bride of Chucky for me(White Zombie, Monster Magnet, Slayer, Type O Negative, Judas Priest, Bruce Dickinson, Motorhead...).

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

I found myself really enjoying the soundtrack to the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. Lot of good rock songs on there.

Add Comment