User Avatar Image

Soundtracks and Soundtracks Only

posted by DAISHI on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Given the proliferation of "The X Threads", I've made a thread committed to music... but only soundtracks! Which ones have caught your interest lately? Why?

I remembered Musically Inspired discussing how he felt the original Batman theme was stronger than the new Batman theme of the Nolan trilogy. While I disagreed, I did agree about one thing... the Danny Elfman soundtrack is amazing.

It's awesome Hollywood music at its best. Bold, big, brassy. "Waltz to the Death" is a creepy track that just invokes the image of Joker dancing along at the top of the cathedral.

The actual Batman theme itself is interwoven into many of the action sequences, and the spirit of this 80s Batman just pops to mind. That raw fighter, cruising along through the skies, forming the Batman silhouette upon the moon. Awesome.

97 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I love movie and game soundtracks, especially if they have a catchy main theme. In fact, one of the downfalls of Iron Man 2, IMO, is the complete absence of any music cues from the first movie. The Transformers trilogy had a good score. Batman and Batman Returns were amazing. I love the soundtracks for all of Star Trek, yes even "Where My Heart Will Take Me" from Enterprise. I also enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, and Sherlock Holmes. I also love John Williams music, though my favorite would be the Superman theme song. It just embodies Superman, in my opinion.

• @Shadowknight1 said: I love movie and game soundtracks, especially if they have a catchy main theme. In fact, one of the downfalls of Iron Man 2, IMO, is the complete absence of any music cues from the first movie. The Transformers trilogy had a good score. Batman and Batman Returns were amazing. I love the soundtracks for all of Star Trek, yes even "Where My Heart Will Take Me" from Enterprise. I also enjoy the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks, and Sherlock Holmes. I also love John Williams music, though my favorite would be the Superman theme song. It just embodies Superman, in my opinion.

Actually I love "Where my Heart will take me"

And "The Planet Krypton" is my ringtone :)

• Okay so, on MI's previous note concerning Jerry Goldsmith... I was just listening to the 13th Warrior soundtrack and HOT DAMN is it good. I'd forgotten just how impressive some of those pieces were.

• I don't know if it's considered to be the 'best of Jerry Goldsmith', but my favourite music by him is the Gremlins theme. Oh, and the variation of the theme for Gremlins 2 is also really awesome (and I think I prefer the G2 version over G1 version).

• I've been clamoring over PAA 3's Soundtrack.

• It's only over the past few years that I've got into soundtrack albums, starting off with the various TV shows & films I liked. From TV I've really got into Bear McCreary's work, most especially his work on Battlestar Galactica (his other work is good too, Caprica, Eureka, the Walking Dead but I so far only own the BSG albums).

Recent film soundtracks I've got include Sunshine, 28 Days Later, Star Trek & Moon and has given me three composers to really look out for: John Murphy, Michael Giacchino & Clint Mansell (I also love Mansell's Lux Aeterna for Requiem for a Dream but I really don't like the film).

There's only one game soundtrack that I've really listened to (I should change that, considering I do have a few others through various indie bundles) and that is Alan Wake by Petri Alanko. It is beautiful and haunting and stands on it's own as well as it fits the game.

• Michael Giacchino is a really hot property right now. Everyone wants his work.

• A friend of a friend just opened a record store in my neighborhood, and he had this little box on the floor of stuff that wasn't priced yet. Inside contained pristine vinyl copies of the soundtracks for Alien, Blade Runner (not the real Vangelis version, that's super-rare), The Shining, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, The Seven Samurai/Rashomon, Taxi Driver, and Russ Meyers' Vixen.

I couldn't buy any of them, not being in inventory yet, and I'm terrified to go back in and find out how much they actually cost :(

• Mine is “Final Fantasy VII” soundtrack. No one can deny the game’s got a fantastic soundtrack.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@DAISHI said: Actually I love "Where my Heart will take me"

I'll never understand why they didn't just use an instrumental version when they changed it for Series/Season 3.
    It's a beautiful piece when you remove the lyrics.

Add Comment