User Avatar Image

Memorable Live Shows You’ve Seen

posted by Noname215 on - last edited - Viewed by 468 users

Just throw out bands you’ve seen live that you really enjoyed.

The Brian Setzer Orchestra at the Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles

Van Halen at HP Pavilion, San Jose

Stanley Clarke at Yoshi’s, Oakland

Chris Duarte Group at Biscuits & Blues, San Francisco

Wynton Marsalis at Herbst Theatre, San Francisco

Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai & G3

Smokin’ Joe Kubek at Biscuits & Blues, San Francisco

Jimmie Vaughan at B.B. King’s Blues Bar & Grill, New York City

Stevie Ray Vaughan and Buddy Guy at Buddy Guy’s Legends, Chicago

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray, Eric Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin

Robert Cray at Yoshi’s, San Francisco

AC/DC at Allstate Arena, Chicago

ZZ Top at Bridgestone Arena, Nashville

Van Halen at Oracle Arena, Oakland

27 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Primus and Rush do put on great shows. Very good sound, though not much visually going on at either.

A DVD toss in? No contest to me, "Imaginations Through The Looking Glass". Blind Guardian in Coburg(followed by Rock In Rio, Iron Maiden).

• These were all mostly either in Dublin or Belfast so there's not really any point in typing out the locations.

Alkaline Trio
    Rancid
    NOFX
    Bon Jovi
    Nickleback
    Steve Vai
    Divine Comedy
    The Killers
    Brian Wilson
    Daft Punk
    Dropkick Murphys
    Reel Big Fish
    The Offspring
    Green Day
    Muse
    Snow Patrol
    The Bravery
    Scissor Sisters
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    The Who
    James Brown
    Iron Maiden
    Rufus Wainwright
    Franz Ferdinand
    The Prodigy

Worth noting that I saw Metallica at Reading festival and they were horrendous, dunno how they still draw a crowd at all. Same goes for Oasis at Slane castle, it was like a month before they broke up forever and ever amen.

• Jonathan Coulton last Friday night at the Ark in Ann Arbor, Michigan. He did sing both of the Portal songs, and it was a great set overall. Lots of fun.

• I went to Stevie Ray Vaughan’s two final shows at Alpine Valley. He tore the entire place apart. Less then ten hours later, the news of his death was all over the place. It hit me like a train.

• @Johro said: Van Halen with Sammy.

I think i'd prefer to see VH with Sammy, Roth's great fun and one of the worlds best showmen but he just doesn't have the pipes. Sammy's effortless, and dare I say it probably has more respect for his audience.

• The only thing with them was that you could definitely tell it was Sammy with Michael and Eddie with Alex. It was right before the breakup that I completely expected. Great set...except they closed with When It's Love... which was a bit odd for a concert pace.

• @JedExodus said: Nickleback

I'm actually interested in knowing what you think of Nickelback. I always suspected you'd be the type of guy who would hate everything about the band...

Iron Maiden

Year?

• @Hayden said: I'm actually interested in knowing what you think of Nickelback. I always suspected you'd be the type of guy who would hate everything about the band...

You suspect right, they suck-diddily-uck! But let me tell you this, they are one of the tightest bands i've ever seen live, was very impressed. They're just a wee bit too indulgent in their own shit, also "Rock Star".

@Hayden said: [Iron Maiden] Year?

2005, I think. They were promoting the Early Days stuff at the time. Great show, had a few opportunities to see them since but haven't bothered because they haven't put out a record I really really like since Dance of Death.

• I'd love to contribute to this, but NO ONE ever comes anywhere near Maine. They get to Boston, MA...then end the tour.

I'm finally going to my first concert this August(Barenaked Ladies/Blues Traveler, Last Summer On Earth Tour), but I'm sure the only reason THAT'S coming here is because the band is Canadian.

• I'm just gonna go with some recent ones:

Israel Vibration (last night!)
    DJ Qbert
    Amon Tobin ISAM live
    Tune-Yards
    Lee Fields and the Expressions
    Nick Waterhouse
    The Allah Las
    Chicha Libre

Add Comment