User Avatar Image

Games That Deserve To Be Forgotten

posted by Rather Dashing on - last edited - Viewed by 2.6K users

Back to the Future: The "Game"

9ZYc7.png

304 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • 256px-Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Ar
    Fuck that game!

The only modern console game I've purchased used. I then threw it out as to not ruin anyone else's life.

• Some people actually like this game. I thought it was shit. The enjoyed the first and third instalment of the series though, even if they aren't among my favourites.

Runaway_2_-_The_Dream_of_The_Turtle_Cove

Bought this on steam during a puzzle game frenzy. I've completed it, but I'm still ashamed to have it on my Steam account. I don't demand much in terms of coherence story wise and well integrated gameplay when it comes to puzzle games (I love the Layton games), but this game is all over the place in a really bad way.

Big_Brain_Wolf_Logo.png

• @der_ketzer said: 41%2BGmE03ciL.jpg

Okay, this is one of those instances where a small bit of an explanation would be quite welcome.

• @Hayden said: Okay, this is one of those instances where a small bit of an explanation would be quite welcome.

Why? The game is so overhyped and thanks to the humble bundle I had a chance to play it now. And it's just mediocre. The visuals are great but gameplay isn't. I know the broken jumping is on purpose but it has too many dick moves that kill you even in the first 10 minutes. Nothing to big surely but this game is so overrated that I just had to name it.
    Also I read about the "story" of the game before but I get the feeling people are pulling it out of their asses. You start up the game and it just throws you in without any story & without motivation of any kind. You are just there and so I stopped playing after the third dick move of the game because if you are dicking around at least give me a reason to take it. Any Macguffin would do. Really.

I could have named Bastion too because I really hate it but the main reason I got it was not the hype but the soundtrack. And the soundtrack actually delivered what I wanted from it...

Also: I want an explanation for this:
    @Hayden said: dFLDI.png

Easily the best 5€ I ever spent on a game. I even bought a retail box this week.

• I know the broken jumping is on purpose but it has too many dick moves that kill you even in the first 10 minutes.

That's funny, because the dick moves is one of the reasons why I loved Limbo :D The death penalty in the game is really small, and I didn't really find any kind of deaths frustrating, and when you're able to foresee a dick move and avoid it on your first try - the sense of achievement is ****ing epic. Although, I'm not a big fan of the game after the 'Hotel' sign, since then it transforms from an eerie adventure into a pretty generic puzzle platformer (though there are really cool puzzles). I still liked it. And, actually, I found the 'dick moves' to be designed rather well, they always gave me the sense of 'I should've seen that coming' whenever I didn't notice them and died because of them.

Also I read about the "story" of the game before but I get the feeling people are pulling it out of their asses.

There's a story in Limbo? O_o There's a pretty strange and at times creepy world... with some sense of history... There is the goal of finding your sister, but that's a really basic and uncomplicated story. And, honestly, I prefer that to the pretentiousness of Braid.

You start up the game and it just throws you in without any story & without motivation of any kind.

The motivation is in external description, actually... on Steam (and as far as I know, on PSN) in the game description it says that you go to Limbo to find your sister, and that was enough for me. You could argue that they should've put that in the game, but I actually think it's more atmospheric because they didn't. Although I guess there really is no motivation if you don't read that part about the sister... but at the same time, in the first Mario game if you don't read in the manual that you're after the princess you have no clue that you're actually after her until you get to the first castle.

• @Farlander said: The motivation is in external description, actually... on Steam (and as far as I know, on PSN) in the game description it says that you go to Limbo to find your sister, and that was enough for me.

Too bad I didn't buy it in the Steam store and haven't read the story because of that ;)

@Farlander said: in the first Mario game if you don't read in the manual that you're after the princess you have no clue that you're actually after her until you get to the first castle.

And still the first Mario game didn't set up deathtraps that you cannot avoid if you don't know about them.

• Atlantis series.

Don't ask... Just. Don't. Ask. :X

• And still the first Mario game didn't set up deathtraps that you cannot avoid if you don't know about them.

Mario is a different kind of platformer. And, I already mentioned that the deathtraps are designed rather well - you don't see them coming, but after you die, you still get the sense of 'Oh, that makes sense, I should've seen that', because there ARE hints... you just don't know that they're hints and foreshadowing, but how would you know if you don't die from deathtraps? In fact, I would say that deathtraps from the get go actually teach you to notice them more frequently and be more mindful of the surroundings.

Add Comment