User Avatar Image

Josh Mandel and Telltale

posted by BagginsKQ on - last edited - Viewed by 942 users

What if it turns out that Josh Mandel has a contract to work on the new King's Quest games for Telltale?

What would people think?

Edit: mispelled Telltale in the topic title, can someone fix that?

39 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Anakin Skywalker said: But if you hate TT and the fact that they have the license, why do you hang around here? I don't really like Blizzard Entertainment; As such, I have no intentions of joining a Blizzard forum to talk about how I feel they suck or how I feel resentful that Blizzard still exists while Sierra died under the same parent company.

For the same reason people slow down to watch a car accident.

• @Lambonius said: For the same reason people slow down to watch a car accident.

You act like this game is going to be the worst game of all time...I mean seriously, as a very traditionalist KQ fan, could it be worse than KQ8 was? Worse than KQ7? I just think you're being as unfair to this project as I was to TSL. I'd rather a "different" KQ game than no KQ game at all.

• @MusicallyInspired said: We do love King's Quest, though.

So do I but I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt until a screenshot or a demo or a trailer proves otherwise. I don't see why we can't give the game that?

It's like, would you prefer if Activision handled a new KQ game itself? Or if it was farmed out to some action studio who knows nothing about adventure games, like LSL: MCL was?

You could say "Well, it's better that it stays dead then." For you, perhaps. I don't feel we ever got a truly fitting next chapter to the series. I love KQ8 for what it is, but it's not the KQ8 that it could've or should've been.

The problem with Sierra's death is that it left a lot of great series and great characters in limbo. SQ6 leaves Roger totally in limbo; KQ7 still leaves stories to be told. I want to see some official continuation to their stories. Perhaps I'm just not ready to consign KQ to be something of the past and am willing to give the game a benefit of the doubt on that basis.

I don't see any loss in giving it a chance. At worst, it's a bad game...And? If it's a bad game, we still have the originals to love. If it's a good game, we have a chance for the series to continue on as it should've and be revived. I see no loss either way.

• @MusicallyInspired said: We do love King's Quest, though.

So do I but I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt until a screenshot or a demo or a trailer proves otherwise. I don't see why we can't give the game that?

It's like, would you prefer if Activision handled a new KQ game itself? Or if it was farmed out to some action studio who knows nothing about adventure games, like LSL: MCL was?

You could say "Well, it's better that it stays dead then." For you, perhaps. I don't feel we ever got a truly fitting next chapter to the series. I love KQ8 for what it is, but it's not the KQ8 that it could've or should've been. And Roberta never considered KQ8 to be "The End."

The problem with Sierra's death is that it left a lot of great series and great characters in limbo. SQ6 leaves Roger totally in limbo, and a SQ7 was made but the suits wouldn't allow it; KQ7 still leaves stories to be told; Larry 8 was planned and scrapped by suits, as were Torin's Passage sequels. I want to see some official continuation to their stories. Perhaps I'm just not ready to consign KQ to be something of the past and am willing to give the game a benefit of the doubt on that basis.

I don't see any loss in giving it a chance. At worst, it's a bad game...And? If it's a bad game, we still have the originals to love. If it's a good game, we have a chance for the series to continue on as it should've and be revived. I see no loss either way.

• @Anakin Skywalker said: So do I but I'm willing to give the game the benefit of the doubt until a screenshot or a demo or a trailer proves otherwise.

That's very nice. Good for you!

I don't see why we can't give the game that?

I was merely saying why some hang around here even though they haven't been the greatest Telltale fans ever. I'm wondering, though. Why do you consider Telltale to be more worthy, than some action studio or whatever, to do King's Quest more justice than anybody else? Surely not just because it's finally a new King's Quest game. I just don't see how it's any different than an action studio picking it up. The styles are very very different either way. Telltale may have roots in adventures but they're games haven't been so much really at all. Why are they different to you? I'm just asking.

• User Avatar Image
    exo

Anakin - it is very simple. If you cruise up to the store above and purchase and play the tell tale games available, then you will see 2 primary things.

1: They are almost identical in structure. Small screens, a few clickable items, episodic in nature, etc..

2: More recent games have begun to rely heavily on quick time events.

Other than maybe Poker Night at the Inventory, they all fall into this category. For some licenses this is great, and for others it fails.

Over the past several months, the fine folks here in these forums have made it very clear what they expect and hope for in a KQ games.

Short episodic screens with a few clickable items and quick time events has never once been mentioned on anyone's wishlist.

So while we all have this glimmer of hope in the back of our heads that telltale will break their formula for this series and release something the fans have asked for, it would be delusional to think there is a good chance of that happening.

Too long, didn't read? There is evidence in every game TT has released that their version of KQ would not be something I, or many others here, would be interested in. There is no evidence what-so-ever that they will break formula and release something I desire.

If they want to change my mind, then they need to release a screenshot or details that proves me wrong - not the other way around. I am the consumer, and it is telltales job to make me want to buy the game. You seem to think it is your job to be excited and happy over a project you know nothing about in the face of the fact that all similar projects are not something that would generally be considered acceptable in the world of King's Quest type gameplay.

Still Too long, didn't read? There is absolutely no reason to give anyone the 'benefit of the doubt' at this point.

• @exo said: Anakin - it is very simple. If you cruise up to the store above and purchase and play the tell tale games available, then you will see 2 primary things.

1: They are almost identical in structure. Small screens, a few clickable items, episodic in nature, etc..

2: More recent games have begun to rely heavily on quick time events.

Other than maybe Poker Night at the Inventory, they all fall into this category. For some licenses this is great, and for others it fails.

Over the past several months, the fine folks here in these forums have made it very clear what they expect and hope for in a KQ games.

Short episodic screens with a few clickable items and quick time events has never once been mentioned on anyone's wishlist.

So while we all have this glimmer of hope in the back of our heads that telltale will break their formula for this series and release something the fans have asked for, it would be delusional to think there is a good chance of that happening.

Too long, didn't read? There is evidence in every game TT has released that their version of KQ would not be something I, or many others here, would be interested in. There is no evidence what-so-ever that they will break formula and release something I desire.

If they want to change my mind, then they need to release a screenshot or details that proves me wrong - not the other way around. I am the consumer, and it is telltales job to make me want to buy the game. You seem to think it is your job to be excited and happy over a project you know nothing about in the face of the fact that all similar projects are not something that would generally be considered acceptable in the world of King's Quest type gameplay.

Still Too long, didn't read? There is absolutely no reason to give anyone the 'benefit of the doubt' at this point.

We've had dark KQ's, light KQ's, we've had KQ's with the parser interface, KQ games with an icon based interface, KQ games with a single cursor; KQ games with day and night cycles, KQ games with multiple endings, KQ games with a chapter based design, KQ games with two protagonists; KQ games with a radio ready theme song and mature themes; a KQ game with RPG elements. I don't see anything wrong with a KQ game having the elements you mentioned, especially the quick time segments.

Roberta as she went on wanted the KQ series to become ever more cinematic and accessible, hence the change from Parser to Point & Click and I always did feel it was a step in the right direction, moving toward more cinematic gameplay.

As I said, we've already had all different types of KQ games. Some are total purists and feel the Parser Gameplay system is what defines KQ type gameplay and that the point and click interface of KQ5-6 dumbed the series down; Others love it; Some love KQ5, some love KQ6, some love KQ7, some even love KQ8. Even if this game is DIFFERENT, I don't see that that is such a bad thing. Change is not always a negative. Even if DIFFERENT, it could still be very good.

TT at the very least is known for keeping the tone and atmosphere of the series they pick up, even those against this game have given them that much--And at this point, as long as it FEELS like a King's Quest, as long as it looks like one, has a fairy tale and fantasy core, has that MAGIC feel, contains characters, plotlines or elements of fairy tales, myths, legends, and classic literature, has the Royal Family as the protagonist(s), I will accept it as a KQ game. I am not a stickler for gameplay styles.

I would trust TT over any other commercial group out there right now to capture the tone and atmosphere of the King's Quest games.

Roberta once defined what she feels constitutes a KQ game:
    The components that make a King's Quest are (in my mind, anyway and since I am the creator of the series, I guess that holds some weight): A land, or lands, of high fantasy; fantasy creatures from myth, legends, and/or fairytales both good and bad; situations to be found in those same types of stories; a "quest" type story; a calamity in the land with one "hero" to "save the kingdom"; a story of the "good" hero against the "evil" bad guy; a story that everyone can relate to, i.e., a "reason" for having the hero go out and risk his or her life for "saving the kingdom"; interesting worlds to explore; high interactivity; interesting characters; great animation; great visuals and music. Within that general framework, I feel that I can have some "leeway" to accomplish those tasks.

I stand by her definition.

and:

King's Quest really is a reflection of me and how I'm feeling about the subject and upon the reference material I am using and how I approach the subject. Basically, King's Quest comes from me and my heart and it always isn't going to be exactly the same, because I'm not always exactly the same, and I, like most people, feel a need for a change of pace and a sense of moving forward and of trying and experiencing something new. With KQ7, I was in a "Disney-esque" mood. Some people really liked it, others didn't. Earlier King's Quest's reflected my moods during those times: KQ3 was very dark, and it utilized lots of magic and magic spells with the basic idea of finding ingredients for "black magic" spells and then casting those spells. (Certain religious groups were upset with me over that one!) KQ1 certainly had violence. Sir Graham had a dagger and could kill the dragon (and it didn't get you "stuck," by the way, if you did so), and you could also kill the goat. It's true that I also had non-violent ways of dealing with those situations, but, that's because I chose to handle it that way for that particular game. I've gotten into trouble over the years for all the various ways that my main characters can "die." And they die a lot! I am known for changing course a lot, and changing my style a lot. I like change, and I like to keep people guessing. KQ7 felt very Disney-esque, and I felt like doing something different for KQ8 but yet, still keeping a "King's Quest" feel to the game. Each game in the King's Quest family has been different. Almost each time I do a new King's Quest, people get up in arms and say it's going to be "different" and won't feel right. Yet, each time, it DOES wind up feeling like King's Quest but each in its own way...and people just kind of KNOW that when they are playing it.

• I'm not sure I'd say KQ has every been truly dark, even if their are 'dark' elements. All eight games remain relatively whimsical as far as characters and situations encountered.

I'm also not sure I'd describe them as having 'mature' or 'adult' themes. Which seem to imply something else entirely! Except for maybe a certain easter egg in KQ2 ;)...

Maybe you mean injecting elements of the 'epic' or 'epic poetry' (KQ6 took on some of the greek epics such as Orpheus and KQ8 was inspired a bit on Tolkien, King Arthur, a bit of Gilgamesh) or 'high fantasy'. But that's about it.

• While I do think they will probably be able to capture the appropriate tone of the characters and story, I don't think Telltale's game is going to "feel like" a King's Quest game. I absolutely DO NOT believe they will be able to capture the gameplay that most people associate with the King's Quest series. Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island worked so well because the gameplay really wasn't all that different than the Lucasarts classics. As a result those games, especially Tales, really FELT like what fans expected of a Sam & Max or Monkey Island game. In order for Telltale to create a King's Quest game that has that "magic" feel to it that you describe--that FEELS like King's Quest--they are going to have to essentially re-invent the way they make point and click adventure games. And the likelihood of that happening is just really damn low. That alone is enough for them not to deserve any benefit of the doubt. Right now, all they're getting from me is just plain old doubt.

Add Comment