User Avatar Image

Ridley Scott's Prometheus (Alien Prequel) Thread

posted by Davies on - last edited - Viewed by 5.1K users

Four leaked photos from the set of Ridley Scott's upcoming film Prometheus (aka the prequel to Alien) have been leaked. Observe and worship the following slices of awesomeness...

cave-450x335.jpgA cave of some sort. You may note that the walls have an H.R. Giger (the creator of the Alien creature) vibe to them. Also, please note that the tractor is not a part of a set but rather an asset of the production team.

entrance.jpgMankind discovers an ancient doorway built by the mysterious Space Jockey race (whose skeletal remains were seen in the original Alien). Note the hieroglyphics surrounding the archway.

prometheus_set3.jpgThis is the secondary arch, just beyond the entrance shown in the pervious photo. Note the scale of the set against the chair towards the lower portion of the photo, this set is fucking epic!

prometheus_set_2.jpgWe're now through the second archway and standing in the main chamber. All three of the above photos are displaying one massive, glorious set. You may notice that we're certainly not in Kansas anymore, but inside the genius mind of H.R. Giger. The franchise hasn't looked this close to its source material since Ridley's original '79 masterpiece...

SpaceJockey.jpgThis is the Space Jockey set from the original Alien. It looks rather similar to the leaked photo above, yes?

228 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • I'll be the first person to say the movie can sod off.

To sum it up, when my girlfriend and I got done watching the movie, both of us looked at each other and said the movie was terrible. I nearly shouted it. It's a piece of tripe, a barely B rated sci fi garbage flick with undercooked ideas. It's also one more step in Ridley Scott's decline. When I realized he'd directed Robin Hood, life suddenly made total sense to me. I realized Scott had been turning out more garbage than hits for years.

• I just really think it was a well-written story that was very well-delivered. Lots of layers. The symbolism of the name Prometheus for one. The reflection of humans resenting David, a robot, who mimics humanity and the Space Jockeys resenting humanity for mimicking them. It's kind of an exploration in to the uncanny valley hypothesis, except with us on the receiving end instead of robots.

Everything I could possibly find fault with I eventually came up with an explanation for. It wasn't meant as a great epic, for sure. But it was just a cool movie with a great story. I wasn't expecting a horror movie. It was just great. There are more questions, but they don't necessarily need to be answered as some of them you can take a decent guess at. For instance, why did the Space Jockeys "change their minds". It's kind of obvious with what I mentioned above.

I enjoyed myself. If it's not your thing then fine, but it's not a terrible movie. It's great.

• @DAISHI said: I'll be the first person to say the movie can sod off.

To sum it up, when my girlfriend and I got done watching the movie, both of us looked at each other and said the movie was terrible. I nearly shouted it. It's a piece of tripe, a barely B rated sci fi garbage flick with undercooked ideas. It's also one more step in Ridley Scott's decline. When I realized he'd directed Robin Hood, life suddenly made total sense to me. I realized Scott had been turning out more garbage than hits for years.

Considering you despise the film so much, can I be the first person to say the obvious; you can sod off from this thread.

I bet you haven't even seen the film more than once. Ergo; opinion invalid! Okay, okay; that's a daft thing to say but you haters are so clueless and I'm sick of it! You slag off Ridley Scott; a self confessed 'visual director' and yet the last time I checked, he's still making films which look visually magnificent.

'Prometheus' is hardly a flawless masterpiece but it is a wonderful return to form for the series. I dread to think what kind of films you're into... mainstream popcorn flicks that require zero imagination or thought process no doubt.

Check out the polls and reviews for 'Prometheus' and you'll see that you haters are in the minority and yet you're the most vocal!

Go create a 'Avatar' thread or something and leave this thread to the people with good taste! Speaking of 'Avatar', I don't go on a forum dedicated to that overrated shitstorm and slag it off to fans of the film! You don't like the film? Good for you. Don't hang around, leaving snarky comments about it on a dedicated thread then!

P.S. I'm aware that the above post is rude, arrogant and elitist but like I said; SICK. OF. IT.

• I agree, he's being a little over the top. But he can post in this thread if he likes. It is his opinion on the movie and that's fine. Not everyone will like it. Calling it a terrible movie is a little much, in my opinion, but that doesn't deserve the same retaliation either. Let's just all be civil and discuss it. Even debate. Let's not move into pointless arguing. People like different things for different reasons and nobody's really wrong.

I feel I should say that when I said "screw the haters", it was in jest. But I will say that I don't understand the negative reactions. Maybe we just can't have sequels or prequels to older franchises simply because of nostalgia. In Daishi's case, he never did like Alien to begin with....which is why I'm wondering why he even cares about Prometheus. lol

• @MusicallyInspired said: I agree, he's being a little over the top. But he can post in this thread if he likes. It is his opinion on the movie and that's fine. Not everyone will like it. Calling it a terrible movie is a little much, in my opinion, but that doesn't deserve the same retaliation either. Let's just all be civil and discuss it. Even debate. Let's not move into pointless arguing. People like different things for different reasons and nobody's really wrong.

I agree but you're not telling me anything I don't already know (hence why I put the 'P.S.' into my post).

@MusicallyInspired said: In Daishi's case, he never did like Alien to begin with....which is why I'm wondering why he even cares about Prometheus. lol

:rolleyes: I said it before and I'll say it again; opinion invalid! That's not to say that he can't have an opinion but why the frak is he watching a prequel to a film he doesn't like and furthermore continually posting in a thread revolving around a prequel he doesn't like, to a film he doesn't like?! If he's going to be that stupid then he's got to expect some backlash. I'm sorry but I don't suffer fools gladly.

• This is not a fan thread or adoration thread. This is a discussion thread concerning the merits of a film. Further, I'm a huge science fiction fan. I'm a product of Heinlein, Dick, LeGuin, Herbert, Bradbury, Clarke and Asimov. I wanted to see a good movie that seemed to have strong sci fi elements, with the potential for horror.

Lastly, if a person needs to be a fan of previous movies to appreciate the current one, then the movie already has shaky merits. Furthermore I never said Alien was a bad movie. It's a good movie. Prometheus is a bad one.

• @St_Eddie said: I bet you haven't even seen the film more than once. Ergo; opinion invalid!

I just gotta say... if one didn't like a film the first time... why the hell would that person go see it a second time? Film is just one of those things were first impressions are everything.

• Well there are a few reasons.

1. Wondering if you missed something the first time around to add to the film's merits.
    2. If you went in the first time with a bad impression or expecting something else.
    3. If you're bullied into having to like it or be considered an idiot for the rest of your days, the way Dashing and Tope did with me on Citizen Kane over a year ago. (A Fawful never forgets)
    4. If you think you understand the film differently now and might like it upon a second viewing (currently have this impression of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and happened six times in a row or so with Blade Runner)
    5. For cheap entertainment. (The Room)

• Ohhh! I love a bit of controversy.

First impressions of 'Alien'...
    @Frank Rich said: "It is depressing to watch an expensive, crafty movie that never soars beyond its cold desire to score the big bucks.

First impressions of 'Blade Runner'...
    @Frank Rich said: "...a hopelessly overrated piece of work."

• @Secret Fawful said: Well there are a few reasons.

1. Wondering if you missed something the first time around to add to the film's merits.
    2. If you went in the first time with a bad impression or expecting something else.
    3. If you're bullied into having to like it or be considered an idiot for the rest of your days, the way Dashing and Tope did with me on Citizen Kane over a year ago. (A Fawful never forgets)
    4. If you think you understand the film differently now and might like it upon a second viewing (currently have this impression of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and happened six times in a row or so with Blade Runner)
    5. For cheap entertainment. (The Room)

My point was rather that if a movie takes two or more viewings to appreciate, it isn't doing its job as a movie. Most people won't watch a movie multiple times to see if there was some merit that they missed the first time around. I know I wouldn't. If I didn't like it the first time, I would not want to waste my time looking for enjoyment that might not be there.

Unless, of course, there's some external source telling me to do so.

Add Comment