User Avatar Image

Who is your favorite guitarist

posted by bobber56 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users
138 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @MusicallyInspired said: How old are you?

22. How old are you?

• My favorites:

Gary Moore
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Joe Satriani
    Brian Setzer
    Rory Gallagher
    Eddie Van Halen
    Angus Young
    Eric Johnson
    Billy F. Gibbons

Personally, I thought Jimi Hendrix was only half as good as everyone claims him to be. Being high on dope doesn’t make you great, but apparently dying from an OD on barbiturates will make anyone seen as a legend.

• @Noname215 said: Personally, I thought Jimi Hendrix was only half as good as everyone claims him to be. Being high on dope doesn’t make you great, but apparently dying from an OD on barbiturates will make anyone seen as a legend.

Hendrix is highly praised as a guitarist, but it's often not in regards to his technical ability. What made Hendrix so great was his ability and endeavor to experiment, which is something he did constantly. He was a pioneer; he was constantly trying new things, pushing the existing boundaries of rock and pop music, taking it into new territories, and testing out what the electric guitar could do as an instrument. As a result, he broadened the rock music playing field, in a sense, opened new doors, and paved the way for thousands of musical acts to follow.

At the time of his musical career, however, he wasn't praised in the same way that he is today. But that's only because it takes reflection to realize just how revolutionary a musician (or public figure of any kind) truly was, and it takes a retrospective to see the impact of that person on their culture, and, in Hendrix's case, on the music world. Whilst it's happening, it's hard to gage. This is why Hendrix has been exalted since his death, because it was his passing that made people reflect on him; on what he did.

Also, on top of being a revolutionary musician, he was also a top player for his time, and a very interesting man, both in musicality and personality. The guy is revered for a reason.

• The smashing-guitar-then-setting-on-fire thing? Yeah, he was as high as a kite. But he was a great guitarist, which is more than I can say about some so-called “greats”, who shall remain nameless. Hey Joe, Foxey Lady, Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) and Stone Crazy are all great songs.

BTW, Stevie Ray Vaughan did the best version of Little Wing, even better than Hendrix’s.

• @Noname215 said: The smashing-guitar-then-setting-on-fire thing? Yeah, he was as high as a kite.

What? How is this related?

• @Hayden said: What? How is this related?

I’m saying that being stoned as shit doesn’t make you a great musician, but that is for some reason what people remember the most about Hendrix.

• Yes. YES HE DOES. Maybe he doesn't have all the crazy techniques down that other revered guitarists do, but he has SOUL in his playing and in his compositions. There is nobody else like him.

• @MusicallyInspired said: Yes. YES HE DOES. Maybe he doesn't have all the crazy techniques down that other revered guitarists do, but he has SOUL in his playing and in his compositions. There is nobody else like him.

Only he can make me buy a 5th copy of his first album and not regrett it. :cool:

• Gotta say, never really cared for Mike Oldfield. Wasn’t into that kind of music.

Add Comment