User Avatar Image

New Direction is Best

posted by Sleeq on - last edited - Viewed by 800 users

First time poster here!

I'm now 31 and I've played almost all of Sierra's games since I was a kid (yes even Larry... we were cool back then... and how else do you think I learned how to play Blackjack!)

I loved every moment of these games and they really challenged the mind. They hold a special place in my heart.

However, we should get with the times.

King's Quest is a controversial series due to the loyal fanbase; I know it will be hard to please everyone. But I don't think going for a 2D classic game will cut it this time.

I think going for a 3D (please don't kill me) Mask of Eternity style'd game is the way to go, and adding more classic elements from the older games into it.

Think about it; a POLISHED free roam 3D game with classic item hunt and use mechanics with MINOR or REDUCED action sequences with a little more mature themes/humor would be pretty good if pulled off.

I don't want to feel nostalgic; if I want to I'll just replay the games. I want a new direction.

As far as puzzles, they should be challenging but fair. No dead-ends, but death sequences are ok (to provide a sense of urgency).

The best games this new generation for me were Demon's Souls & Dark Souls, simply because the mechanics of minimal plot, addictive combat, and challenge created a great formula. Every mistake you made was yours and you learned from it.

So putting this philosophy into the new game would surely be helpful.

Sorry for the long post!

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • For me a modern and more adult kings quest would contain

1) Survival horror elements - which in a kings quest game means running away from monsters like in amnesia the dark descent and using your ingenuity + puzzle elements to elude them; like witch from kq1 or troll and donkey etc
    2) Plenty of lighter elements to offset the dark parts; classic fairy tales but with the original grimm elements
    3) Plenty of puzzles but in a modern seamless 3d world to explore; kings quest 1 was at the time the equivalent to skyrim today.
    4) Game should not allow combat as in rpg but only puzzles to resolve problems

My two cents...

• What the fuck does MORE ADULT mean? Adults were playing these games back in 1990.... I hate that goddamn saying "More Adult"!

Bt

• Leisure Suit Graham in the Land of Lounge Leprechauns.

• @Blackthorne519 said: What the fuck does MORE ADULT mean? Adults were playing these games back in 1990.... I hate that goddamn saying "More Adult"!

Bt

Come on, Bt--you should know by now that when someone says "more adult," they really mean "more appealing to teenagers" who don't have the attention span or intellectual maturity to appreciate a light-hearted story and world on its own merits without thinking that it's "too kiddy."

Okay, well...so far we've got King's Quest: The Open World Survival Horror Action RPG. Are you guys seriously unaware of how hilariously stupid that sounds??

• Why do people keep insisting that using an inventory item on a monster to solve a puzzle in a graphic adventure is the same thing as combat in an action game?

"Graham encountered this dragon in the Dragon's Lair. From across the cave, the heat of the sulphurous flames singed Graham's hair. The dragon made half-rushes back and forth at him, taking its time before making a killer charge. Graham tested the balance of his dagger, knowing he had only one chance to strike the dragon in its heart. In order to distract the dragon to give himself more time to aim and a clearer target, he hefted a bucket of water, and just as the dragon exhaled , he flung the water into its snout. He had extinquished the dragon's flames, it stopped and sputtered, steam and bubles gurgling form its nostrils. Graham stayed the dagger in his hand, seeing the look of embarrasment on the dragon's monstrous face. It dropped its head, and tucked its tail, and the beast pushed a boulder aside and pussyfooted out of the cave."-From the Chronicles of Daventry, Part I.

"Graham had intended to kill the snake using a magic sword he had received from a genie. He knew the weapon would rid him of the the menace. Graham was more of a fencer than a hack-and-slash type who triumphs through brute strength. He knew to dispatch the snake would take only a flick of his wrist, a flick of a moment. However, Graham had forgotten about the Leather Bridle he had draped over the sword's hilt. With a swift motion King Graham made to grab the hilt and swung the blade through the air, so to slice the head from the serpent's body. His hand grabbed the bridle's silver bit instead, and still thinking he held a sword, he flicked it through the air. In surprise, Graham let go of the bridle, and he threw the bridle at the snake by mistake.-From the Chronicles of Daventry, Part II.

• @BagginsKQ said: "Graham encountered this dragon in the Dragon's Lair. From across the cave, the heat of the sulphurous flames singed Graham's hair. The dragon made half-rushes back and forth at him, taking its time before making a killer charge. Graham tested the balance of his dagger, knowing he had only one chance to strike the dragon in its heart. In order to distract the dragon to give himself more time to aim and a clearer target, he hefted a bucket of water, and just as the dragon exhaled , he flung the water into its snout. He had extinquished the dragon's flames, it stopped and sputtered, steam and bubles gurgling form its nostrils. Graham stayed the dagger in his hand, seeing the look of embarrasment on the dragon's monstrous face. It dropped its head, and tucked its tail, and the beast pushed a boulder aside and pussyfooted out of the cave."-From the Chronicles of Daventry, Part I.

And your point is?

• Graham is a klutz when it comes to combat!

"What would you do, dear reader, if confronted that quickly by such a monster whilst stupidly looking at a pie, instead of looking out for danger? What Graham did was totally reflexive; startled, he jumped at the roar and flung what was in his hand in the direction of the attack. The king's aim is good, it always has been. The custard pie splatted squarely in the yeti's face. The creature, literally, never knew what hit it, and with vision totally obscured by the gooey filling, it stepped off the cliff's edge... "Did I really do that?" he asked the heavens. Shaking his head in befuddlement...."-From the Chronicles of Daventry, Part V.

In 2002 though, developers thought about making Graham a Link-like action hero in one version of King's Quest IX;

Kq9cancelled.jpg

Development didn't go very far though.

• @BagginsKQ said:
    In 2002 though, developers thought about making Graham a Link-like action hero in one version of King's Quest IX;

Kq9cancelled.jpg

The sad and mind-boggling part is that that seems to be exactly what some people want, according to the posts in this thread. Where is my Picard facepalm mosaic when I need it?

Add Comment