User Avatar Image

Just beat the season!

posted by Dildor on - last edited - Viewed by 1.1K users

Man is that Thrapwood fellow a funny guy. :guybrush:

How good is the secret of monkey island?

24 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Farlander said: The funny thing about Adam Harrington and LeChuck, is that I prefer Adam Harrington's LeChuck in Chapter 1. Earl Boen was awesome in Chapter 5, but when I heard him in the re-voiced Chapter 1, the performance felt weird and out of place to me.

I noticed that as well. He's excellent in the end of chapter 4 and chapter 5, but there's just something off about his re-recorded dialogue in chapter 1.

Though that makes me think that if we're ever going to get another Monkey Island game, I might have to just get over the fact that there's a high probability that Earl Boen won't reprise the role of LeChuck again since he's retired, and I have a feeling that they'd have a pretty hard time coaxing him out of retirement for a second time.

• Only thing that annoyed me with Adam Harrinton's voice was the dumb "harr harr harr". Otherwise he was good.

• @Syd said:
    Curse will need to be ran through ScummVM, and you'll need a custom installer and launcher (both found here. Take note that the resolution option in the launcher is a bit buggy and can corrupt saves.) for Escape.

Thanks for the info!

As long and I can get a copy I plan on playing them all in order.
    I gotta say, the updated graphics and voice acting is what makes this playable for me, and I'm really enjoying it. I was curious how Guybrush and Elaine were going to fall in love, so that scene on the pier where they fall in love in like 15 seconds had me in stitches. My favorite part was the blind fight in the mansion, I was NOT expecting all of that. :D

• My favorite part was the blind fight in the mansion, I was NOT expecting all of that.

Funnily enough, the mansion was supposed to have several puzzles, but they had to be cut out. Were replaced with that gag instead. Another proof that technical/time limitations can lead to better ideas :D (not always, yeah... but that happens a lot)

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Dildor said: As long and I can get a copy I plan on playing them all in order.

Thankfully, used copies of Curse and Escape are pretty cheap on Amazon. It's not too difficult to get a copy for either of those games.

A little tip for when you play through Monkey Island 2 Special Edition. If you plan on listening to the commentary on your first run, make lots of saves so you can go back and watch anything you missed, because the commentary is considerably louder than the dialogue and also (for some reason) turns off the subtitles, so it's easy to miss all the dialogue in a scene because the commentary was talking over it.

• @Syd said: Thankfully, used copies of Curse and Escape are pretty cheap on Amazon. It's not too difficult to get a copy for either of those games.

Sounds good. :D
    And yikes, I doubt I'd have commentary on if it's my first time playing. But good to know none the less. :)

• Kudos to you for going back to the series' roots after joining it midstream!

I don't think you could pay the ToMI team a better compliment.

• @gamingafter40 said: Kudos to you for going back to the series' roots after joining it midstream!

I don't think you could pay the ToMI team a better compliment.

On a similar side note, Escape from Monkey Island was my first Monkey Island game (well, I saw Monkey Island games before that, but EMI was the first one that I've actually PLAYED), and been a MI fan ever since. Even though I know very well about EMI's problems, but that's one of the main reasons why I'm pro-EMI, not EMI-hater :p

• User Avatar Image
    Syd

@Dildor said: And yikes, I doubt I'd have commentary on if it's my first time playing. But good to know none the less. :)

The commentary is enabled by pressing the A key when a prompt shows up in the upper left corner of the screen (Though it can be completely disabled through options). Most of the time, you can wait until you're done doing or listening to anything important and listen to the commentary when you're free to just stand around, but there's also commentary for the cutscenes, which is where it becomes an issue, because either you listen to the commentary and miss out on the dialogue, or you watch the scene and miss out on the commentary.

You could always just skip on the commentary that's during the cutscenes and look up a Youtube video for the commentary later to hear what you missed. That's what I did on my first MI2:SE playthough. :)

• @StarEye said: Only thing that annoyed me with Adam Harrinton's voice was the dumb "harr harr harr". Otherwise he was good.

Dang! I thought the "har har harrr"s were finally behind me. Apparently Moose, Scruffman, Foreman Isaac and Andy St. John werent enough to erase 'em from TT fans memories. Alas, it seems those cursed harrrrs will follow me to my grave. :o

Add Comment