User Avatar Image

New Direction is Best

posted by Sleeq on - last edited - Viewed by 1.9K users

First time poster here!

I'm now 31 and I've played almost all of Sierra's games since I was a kid (yes even Larry... we were cool back then... and how else do you think I learned how to play Blackjack!)

I loved every moment of these games and they really challenged the mind. They hold a special place in my heart.

However, we should get with the times.

King's Quest is a controversial series due to the loyal fanbase; I know it will be hard to please everyone. But I don't think going for a 2D classic game will cut it this time.

I think going for a 3D (please don't kill me) Mask of Eternity style'd game is the way to go, and adding more classic elements from the older games into it.

Think about it; a POLISHED free roam 3D game with classic item hunt and use mechanics with MINOR or REDUCED action sequences with a little more mature themes/humor would be pretty good if pulled off.

I don't want to feel nostalgic; if I want to I'll just replay the games. I want a new direction.

As far as puzzles, they should be challenging but fair. No dead-ends, but death sequences are ok (to provide a sense of urgency).

The best games this new generation for me were Demon's Souls & Dark Souls, simply because the mechanics of minimal plot, addictive combat, and challenge created a great formula. Every mistake you made was yours and you learned from it.

So putting this philosophy into the new game would surely be helpful.

Sorry for the long post!

118 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Both are good games. I've enjoyed the alot over the years.

  • No, I'm not bullying anyone who has a different opinion. I'm merely stating why I find their opinion to be sophomoric and idiotic.

    I hope you aren't referring to me... I don't think I said anything as such in this topic.

    So far no one has replied to my example of Metal Gear transitioning into 3D with massive success and has kept ALMOST ALL elements of the MSX games.

    My suggestion is that KQ can do the same if the devs are competent.

    Why should I back up my statement with more than this? I write straight to the point without resorting to walls of text.

    I know some people here are "orthodox" fans of the series, which is fine, but please accept that the series is seriously outdated and needs some fixing. Unwinnable-by-design is not acceptable anymore.

    Have a good read with this:

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/KingsQuestVAbsenceMakesTheHeartGoYonder

  • I'll respond - I don't care for the Metal Gear Solid games. I much prefer the originals - sure, a lot of people do like the Metal Gear Solid games, but the milieu of that game lent itself to a more serious and "darker" tone. It was always a military based, infiltration game. Even the MSX and NES versions had a serious tone - even if localization errors made "I feel asleep" silly.

    King's Quest has always been a fairy-tale fantasy adventure. Throwing darker motivations, and more "adult" themes onto it is grafting material on to a base that doesn't deserve it. It's like putting a taco on top of a cake, because it's "Darker™ and more Gritty™".

    Bt

    PS Oh, also, referencing TVTropes renders all arguments and points completely and utterly invalid.

  • Then it seems I have nothing more to add to this thread.

  • @Blackthorne519 said: I'll respond - I don't care for the Metal Gear Solid games. I much prefer the originals - sure, a lot of people do like the Metal Gear Solid games, but the milieu of that game lent itself to a more serious and "darker" tone. It was always a military based, infiltration game. Even the MSX and NES versions had a serious tone - even if localization errors made "I feel asleep" silly.

    King's Quest has always been a fairy-tale fantasy adventure. Throwing darker motivations, and more "adult" themes onto it is grafting material on to a base that doesn't deserve it. It's like putting a taco on top of a cake, because it's "Darker™ and more Gritty™".

    Bt

    PS Oh, also, referencing TVTropes renders all arguments and points completely and utterly invalid.

    I agree with you for the most part, but I do think an evolution ala Mask did keep the fantasy adventure feel. The story was simple much like the previous games--Bad guy does something which threatens Kingdom--but it did it with a more serious tone, without being "gritty" or having adult themes. If the first 7 KQ games were "The Hobbit", KQ8 was "The Lord of the Rings"--And I think that sort of more serious, more action based transition was appropriate, though it should've been done slower, over the course of a few games perhaps. But the word "gritty" shouldn't be associated with an official KQ game. A fan game is fine--Fans can do whatever they want. But I wouldn't describe Mask as gritty--there's no in depth thing about the character's feelings or emotions. Mask is the proper way to do a "grown up" KQ game.

  • Well, MOE can't be an example of a "proper" anything. It had a fair share of problems and things it could have improved upon. I think the same game with better graphics, a classic inventory system with classic adventure-style puzzles, and more interesting combat and/or arcade action sequences would have been fantastic. As it is, it falls short of what it could be. But it could have been better.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: Well, MOE can't be an example of a "proper" anything. It had a fair share of problems and things it could have improved upon. I think the same game with better graphics, a classic inventory system with classic adventure-style puzzles, and more interesting combat and/or arcade action sequences would have been fantastic. As it is, it falls short of what it could be. But it could have been better.

    Yes I agree completely, I just meant the general direction. It's a shame. The story contained in the game, along with the dialogue, was probably Roberta's true masterpiece. It didn't have any of the "cheese" of the earlier games or "moon logic", it had a lot of layers (It wasn't just superficial placements of other mythologies into the game like the early KQ games were). It had the "wide open world/big adventure" feel of KQ5 while expanding on the maturity of KQ6 without being shallow. Such a direction, albeit refined as you said, would be a great approach. I tend to look at Mask as a transitional game, the way KQ5 was; rough around the edges because it was the first of it's kind in the series.

  • Actually, I think the story was the most lackluster of the entire series. Even KQ1. Could have used some work. Didn't really care about Conner, Sarah, or Lucreto. We were just slapped with these new characters and were expected to be connected to them. Doesn't work that way. Some of the ideas were great, though. I loved the idea of a mysterious random wizard using his magic to partially survive the curse and give you pointers. Lots of fantastic ideas that could have been much better.

  • @MusicallyInspired said: Actually, I think the story was the most lackluster of the entire series. Even KQ1. Could have used some work. Didn't really care about Conner, Sarah, or Lucreto. We were just slapped with these new characters and were expected to be connected to them. Doesn't work that way. Some of the ideas were great, though. I loved the idea of a mysterious random wizard using his magic to partially survive the curse and give you pointers. Lots of fantastic ideas that could have been much better.

    Well, replace Connor say with Alexander...I mean in KQ1, all we're told in the original is that Graham is a knight. He doesn't speak much at all, and we don't know anything about him. Sort of like Connor, he's a blank slate; he's a tanner, but as the story unfolds, so does him being noble not in blood, but in deed. Sarah was just in the into cutscene...And I don't see why Lucreto isn't interesting. His story is very much akin to the whole Paradise Lost thing: Basically an angel who wanted the power of God for himself. That's a pretty trope , similar to the Grand Vizier wanting control of a Kingdom trope used in KQ6.

  • Yes, but we know nothing about Lucreto. He has no dialogue, no character arc, and barely any on-screen time other than the intro and the very end when he finally speaks to you. With Alhazred he had face time throughout the entire game and we really got to know him and hate him (or love him, depending how masochistic and sadistic you are). Lucreto was ultimately forgettable.

    And at least KQ1 had a decent back story for the reasons behind the quest (even if it was only in the manual).

Add Comment