User Avatar Image

[WD] Changed choices.

posted by franapbsilva on - last edited - Viewed by 5.4K users

Hey TTG!!!
I started playing the Episode 2 today, and my choices were changed!!!!! Wath the Hell??? I saved Doug in the hand, but in the second episode Carley it's still alive!!! :mad:

121 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Lafazar said: Same Problem, I saved Carley, and at the beginning of Episode 2 Doug is alive.

What type of user accounts are you using? Are they admin accounts?
    Yes, and UAC is disabled.

What OS are you using?
    Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Have you uninstalled the game previously, or have you reinstalled the game recently?
    Donloaded over Steam. Played game through before Update for Episode 2. Played it again after Update to Episode 2 in second save slot, but with exactly the same choices.

Starting Episode 2 from both savegames yields Doug alive when I saved Carley in both. Also, when I go back to the main menu, only one savegame is visible anymore, saying "Episode 2". Quitting and restarting the game shows me the two savegames in "Episode 1" state.

EDIT: This post from the Steam Forums seems to contain a workaround. It looks like Epiode 2 selects the wrong savefile somehow.
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=31423648&postcount=15

Since I used the rewind feature to try and fix it that way, that workaround doesn't work for me.

I did, however, load a save from half way through episode one - the save I used for my second playthrough. It just took me about an hour to finish it, so I started episode two with that save and I didn't even get the previously on stuff, and the first scene in the forest is missing... and Doug is alive instead of Carley again. It's fucked.

• Windows 7 64 bit
    Steam

I was experiencing the same wrong choices issue.

I took a look in the save game folder and notice the most recent save was only 10KB, the second most recent save was 108KB. So I renamed the the larger file to replace the smaller file (i.e. save_9.save to save_12.save). I ended up back at the Carly or Doug decision which was fine as there's only 5 to 10 mins left in the episode. Once I finished the episode the save game file was up to 117KB. I thought I was in the clear....

Fired up Episode 2 based on the save and....black screen, arrow cursor and an axe in the inventory. Not a good experience so far for my first foray into a Telltale game.

• Hey guys!
    I know many of you have tried to start a new game, play Ep1 and it still didn't work out, right? Well, I have done that too and it didn't work. But then I messed around with my save files and tried different things to get it done... It didn't work the way I wanted it to, but I got it right now! My decisions have been taken over into Ep2 now.

Here's what I did, though I guess you won't like it...
    I noticed that there is a "prefs.prop" file in the save directory (documents\telltale games\ the walking dead) which seems to contain your decisions. But since it's not readable for humans (jibberish in it) I tried to delete it, play Ep1 ending and see if it works... well I got a black screen out of that. Seems like the save files only work together with the prefs.prop (and the other way around, tried both ways)
    Now here's the thing... even if you start another game in another save file... the prefs.prop doesn't seem to change at all. Starting a new game and trying to play Ep2 afterwards doesn't work because of that...

BUT

If you delete everything except the SyncFs folder (good bye precious savegames...) and start a new game, it's like you never ran it before. Playing through Ep1 and then starting Ep2 immediately afterwards worked fine then. I can now play Ep2 with all my choices from the first.

Well.. there's still a bug to be fixed... but for all those (like me) who don't want to wait any longer and don't mind playing Ep1 again... it seems to work just fine like this.

I hope this helped anyone :)

• While being a zombie myself by now due to the time and effort i've put into this problem there are still no ties on how to solve this ourselves. Saves don't get.. well.. saved and choices made do not carry over and when pausing the game it reverts back to ep1 and so forth and so on.

I went on doing a little investigation of the directory structure (the TTG store version mind you) and there's a thing that boggles my mind a bit:

- Installed it to my game drive wich is D:\Games\The Walking Dead
    - upon starting it creates a folder or adds to the folder (i've got more games of TTG) on the C:\ drive in your documents folder called \Telltale Games\The Walking Dead (or any other TTG game of late)

BUT...

Both the documents folder as well as the game folder on the D:\ drive contain a prefs.prop file of wich the one on the install drive gets updated last. When i chose to "GET" episode 2 from within the launcher it downloads them to the C:\ documents folder and keeps em there.. (Ehrm.. i did tell the game to install on D: not keep a gigabyte of data on my C:\ )

Lastly.. I had 12 savegames in the documents folder upon ending EP1 succesfully earlier. Still EP2 does not carry any choices correctly and when pausing or exiting no save is done. Also i noticed a save_9.save being lonely in the install dir on D:\ at one time..

So.

Why does EP2 remain on the documents dir wich is just plain stupid and why do you use 2 (two) prefs.prop files in different locations? I think this is where it may go wrong TTG. And in conclusion: Your website and forums are more offline then on of late and downloading that EP2 through the ingame screen takes forever.. So quick troubleshooting is no further option as well....

• I've been doing some more gravedigging around again and tried the following so far wich needs testing:

I kept ONE save from episode one that finished past the credits and backed it up.
    Fresh install with EP2 downloaded before playing so no previous saves.
    Placed the backuped save. Not showing. hmmm. So the save is not that important. (read on)
    Started a new EP1 game and alt-tabbed in and out during the freeway scene till a autosave was made.
    I checked the timestamp on prefs.prop both in the install dir and the \Documents dir. The install dir one changed along with the first save.
    Exited the game and deleted the save. Placed my backuped save in and renamed to the one just deleted (ie. save_2.save deleted and renamed save_12.save to save_2)
    Booted game and clicked play. Rewind shows just the freeway scene wich would be correct as props.pref has'nt changed yet.
    Clicked continue and bam i am at the motel doing the final conversations. Let the credits roll and back at the main menu i exited.

Heres the funny thing. The game made a new save called save_1.save with exact same size as the backuped one with a timestamp of when i LOADED the game. Now prefs.prop was saved 12 minutes later meaning this is where the final choices and stats are located.

Here's what i think goes wrong but i need to test further. Prefs.prop that came with EP2 in the \Documents dir remained unchanged since it was placed there during download. Now i have a feeling the prefs.prop that keeps getting updated up till the end of EP1 does NOT get taken into the new prefs.prop. and the last save does not do much either.

Going to replace the EP1 prefs.prop now with the EP2 one to see if it will move forward.

toughts?

• I tried what IMBAsuna did (three posts before this), that finally worked for me. Thanks for that. All choices from Ep1 are now in Ep2.
    I made it through Ep1 three times the last 24 hours to try everything I read in this forum. Hope TTG fix it real soon...

• @Cruisix said: I've been doing some more gravedigging around again and tried the following so far wich needs testing:

I kept ONE save from episode one that finished past the credits and backed it up.
    Fresh install with EP2 downloaded before playing so no previous saves.
    Placed the backuped save. Not showing. hmmm. So the save is not that important. (read on)
    Started a new EP1 game and alt-tabbed in and out during the freeway scene till a autosave was made.
    I checked the timestamp on prefs.prop both in the install dir and the \Documents dir. The install dir one changed along with the first save.
    Exited the game and deleted the save. Placed my backuped save in and renamed to the one just deleted (ie. save_2.save deleted and renamed save_12.save to save_2)
    Booted game and clicked play. Rewind shows just the freeway scene wich would be correct as props.pref has'nt changed yet.
    Clicked continue and bam i am at the motel doing the final conversations. Let the credits roll and back at the main menu i exited.

Heres the funny thing. The game made a new save called save_1.save with exact same size as the backuped one with a timestamp of when i LOADED the game. Now prefs.prop was saved 12 minutes later meaning this is where the final choices and stats are located.

Here's what i think goes wrong but i need to test further. Prefs.prop that came with EP2 in the \Documents dir remained unchanged since it was placed there during download. Now i have a feeling the prefs.prop that keeps getting updated up till the end of EP1 does NOT get taken into the new prefs.prop. and the last save does not do much either.

Going to replace the EP1 prefs.prop now with the EP2 one to see if it will move forward.

toughts?

I tried this and got Episode 2 to say continue instead of play, but my choices were still not correct.

• @IMBAsuna said: Hey guys!
    I know many of you have tried to start a new game, play Ep1 and it still didn't work out, right? Well, I have done that too and it didn't work. But then I messed around with my save files and tried different things to get it done... It didn't work the way I wanted it to, but I got it right now! My decisions have been taken over into Ep2 now.

Here's what I did, though I guess you won't like it...
    I noticed that there is a "prefs.prop" file in the save directory (documents\telltale games\ the walking dead) which seems to contain your decisions. But since it's not readable for humans (jibberish in it) I tried to delete it, play Ep1 ending and see if it works... well I got a black screen out of that. Seems like the save files only work together with the prefs.prop (and the other way around, tried both ways)
    Now here's the thing... even if you start another game in another save file... the prefs.prop doesn't seem to change at all. Starting a new game and trying to play Ep2 afterwards doesn't work because of that...

BUT

If you delete everything except the SyncFs folder (good bye precious savegames...) and start a new game, it's like you never ran it before. Playing through Ep1 and then starting Ep2 immediately afterwards worked fine then. I can now play Ep2 with all my choices from the first.

Well.. there's still a bug to be fixed... but for all those (like me) who don't want to wait any longer and don't mind playing Ep1 again... it seems to work just fine like this.

Will try this when I have a little more time.

• @IMBAsuna said:
    BUT

At first glance this fixed it, but it turned out to only be the Carly choice. The little choices like whether I told Clementine if her family would find us, was still different. Completely ruins it for me. I need every choice to carry over, otherwise it makes all the choices I made pointless. I don't know how they're going to affect the story later. UGH. I refuse to play through Episode 1 again. Been 5 times now, I'm becoming sick of this game.

• -Possible Fix-

The game stores a "prefs.prop" in two places. One in:

C:\Users\___\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

And the other in:

D:\STEAM\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default

Or if you don't have the Steam version, its somewhere in your game DIR.
    Do backups before overwriting anything.

Copy the prefs.prop file from your game's DIR folders, and overwrite it in your Documents\TTG\TWD folder

Go in game and load the save game with your finished EP1. Switch to EP2 in the chapter select and run it.

This worked for me when any other solution did not. My decisions carried over.

Add Comment