User Avatar Image

Anyone else disappointed by ep2?*spoilers*

posted by SrslyYo? on - last edited - Viewed by 447 users

I'm not sure if there is another topic like this, or maybe I'm the only one. If there is another topic, my apologies!

Okay, so I really wasn't happy with a majority of it. I bought the PS3 version( Season pass when ep1 came out) and it was so lagging and glitchy. Sometimes they had stuff in their hands and other times they had their hands like they were holding stuff but nothing was there.

The opening scene explained...nothing. Unless my version is just messed up. But when in the hell did they get Mark? I know they said they got him from an airforce base. But there is honestly no little cutscene to explain that more? I mean...this random guy comes into the story. You end up liking him and then he effin dies! Was that his whole purpose in the episode? Just to die?! Well shit, if that is the case, why didn't they just keep Doug and Carley from the first one and then one of them can get killed.

I already KNEW what was going to happen right when you meet the Dairy Farm people. So, any twists and turn were not there for story development. And yeah, the Larry thing was kind of effed up. There was honestly no choice to where if you pick Lily's side maybe he is dead and comes back or wtf ever. Give me a CHOICE!

Two months. We waited two months for this game. And everyone's logic of " I would rather wait two months for them to fix the bugs and glitches" well, they didn't! It was not fixed.

I will give them a plus that the game seems a little bit longer. But everything felt random and like it didn't flow correctly.

This is what happens when you try to turn a story that has GREAT potential into a short game. Shit won't make sense in some areas.

So, thanks Telltale. You have disappointed me to the point of no return.

Good luck everyone else! Perhaps this company will get their shit together one day.

50 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The whole beauty of the Walking Dead is that no one is safe. Anyone could die at any moment. It adds a whole sense of dread and realism that you does not normally come with the stories of other video games.

My personal experience in the game was one where no matter what choice I made, I felt like I was making the wrong choice, and while I may not have enjoyed it in the moment. Looking back at it though, it makes the game that much enjoyable. If you could save Larry or Mark it would detract from all the emotional tension that you get from trying to fight against all that is going wrong but never being able to overcome it would build up and, that in my opinion, would detract from the story.

This is the Walking Dead, people die, deal with it.

• seems like this is another game that claims open decisions, but it doesn't really appear to be the case. give me options that will drastically split the storyline in two.

• I tend to agree with SyslrYo for the most part.

Even in episode one, when Lee found his father's cane and his memory of it whacking shoplifters made me want to hold on to it as a weapon - should have been a chose their as it was for random items (not much more for a pharmacy: like no Bandages, anti-biotics - other junk foods or VITAMINS -hold back malnutrition for the lack of full square meals.) At the hotel, the choice who to talk to also and to get the Walkie Talkie from Glenn: and it would have been nice to see Glenn say good bye/good luck to the rest of the group.

In Episode 1: the mouse control is wackey (PC version) - the screen moves and my mouse is lost off the screen somewhere and I must replay for ever to luck out on kicking or whacking the walker. In Epidode 2 the Q to click together then E for the shove off is working better.

BUT what are the two red arrows when that walker has Lee (ME) by the scruff of my neck? I head butt him no matter what I do. Left mouse click.... click the left arrow, the right arrow NO CONTROL! I head butt twice then the walker leans his head in and bites my windpipe off.

What am I suppose to do? (bleed to death)

• I really hope in the future TTG makes decisions like letting the teacher die more.. obvious. I mean i dont fault them for making the Plank availible if your observant but you can still punch the zombie grabbing duck but i spent 10 minutes without the teacher being abandoned

• @Hebe said: I tend to agree with SyslrYo for the most part.

Even in episode one, when Lee found his father's cane and his memory of it whacking shoplifters made me want to hold on to it as a weapon - should have been a chose their as it was for random items (not much more for a pharmacy: like no Bandages, anti-biotics - other junk foods or VITAMINS -hold back malnutrition for the lack of full square meals.) At the hotel, the choice who to talk to also and to get the Walkie Talkie from Glenn: and it would have been nice to see Glenn say good bye/good luck to the rest of the group.

In Episode 1: the mouse control is wackey (PC version) - the screen moves and my mouse is lost off the screen somewhere and I must replay for ever to luck out on kicking or whacking the walker. In Epidode 2 the Q to click together then E for the shove off is working better.

BUT what are the two red arrows when that walker has Lee (ME) by the scruff of my neck? I head butt him no matter what I do. Left mouse click.... click the left arrow, the right arrow NO CONTROL! I head butt twice then the walker leans his head in and bites my windpipe off.

What am I suppose to do? (bleed to death)

Do you mean the scene in the truck at the motel

If you're playing the pc version you're supposed to move the cursor left and right. Frankly, I did not find it that hard to understand.

• @Psychofreak said: The whole beauty of the Walking Dead is that no one is safe. Anyone could die at any moment. It adds a whole sense of dread and realism that you does not normally come with the stories of other video games.

My personal experience in the game was one where no matter what choice I made, I felt like I was making the wrong choice, and while I may not have enjoyed it in the moment. Looking back at it though, it makes the game that much enjoyable. If you could save Larry or Mark it would detract from all the emotional tension that you get from trying to fight against all that is going wrong but never being able to overcome it would build up and, that in my opinion, would detract from the story.

This is the Walking Dead, people die, deal with it.

It has nothing to do with anyone dying. It has to do with no real detail or explanation of where Mark came from. All it says is he was picked up at the Air Force base when they went there. When did they go? What happened there? Why couldn't they just do a cut-scene to explain it some at the beginning, instead of the glitchy recap.

Ep2 was full of bugs and glitches. I'm just saying Ep1 feels like it had nothing to do with Ep2. It feels like they just made Ep2 and smashed shit together. Making a cross of Hills have eyes/Book of Eli and Psycho. I'm sure what Ep2 was about would be possible in a Zombie outbreak. What I'm saying is, it doesn't flow right. The story doesn't move smoothly. For them to have a two month delay, with no word on anything, it feels rushed and slammed together.

Did they start Ep2 after Ep1 then leave it alone until it was suppose to be released and then go " Oh shit!" and slam a game together? It really felt like it. I don't even want to go through a second game on this one.

Edit: What I'm saying is. It feels like they skipped a whole episode. Like this should be Ep3 not 2.

• I'll agree that there are some glitches and bugs. You could probably attribute that to Telltale's rush to release the game before July after promising they would release it in June. Personally, the bugs haven't really detracted from my experience, but your experience might be different.

As for the deal with introducing Mark all of sudden. They can only fit so much into one part. I did not like how the handled Mark's background, but I didn't particularly hate it either. If you play Mass Effect 3, they sort of do the same thing with introducing James Vega. He just appears and suddenly becomes part of your crew without really getting to know him as the player.

I'm trying to see your point about how the story was not smooth. The way I see it, the episode was divided into two parts, the first part being the lack of food and dealing with newcomers, and the second part being the farm. I personally felt each part had a nice flow. The farm in particular went from a feeling of safety with a hint of suspicion to "Holy s**t, what the f**k is going on" There was a gradual rise in tension and emotion that I haven't experienced a long time playing a video game.

But like I said, your experience might have been different.

• Never played any of the Mass effects. I'm not saying the storyline of ep2 was bad. I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying it felt like there was something missing in between the time periods.

There are a lot of questions that could be asked dealing with Mark and the whole situation. It was like someone had the idea of the Diary farm, they tested the game and playout with Ep1, which is perfectly fine, but instead of filling in the blanks they just went on to what they may have been excited about.

I understand they can only fit so much into one part. That's why I'm saying a cut-scene would have been just fine and dandy for me. Like a narrative of " The group was going hungry so they a few went searching for food. Lilly suggested the air force base, they went and saved Mark and any resources they could." Or whatever.

The glitches just bother me because they did have two extra months. I mean dialog was cut the half. The beginning recap was cut off many times, before even finishing what they were doing. Maybe it was suppose to be like that. It seemed sloppy. When Lilly had the shotgun, it was only in her hands half the time. The rest she was just walking around holding air like a dumbass.

Perhaps they should have thought a bit more on this, before jumping the gun. Because that is what it felt like. Like they got a head of themselves and just strung it all together. If you are going to be a series type company, fine. No problem. But that means taking a in-depth story and making it short, without taking the depth away. And I just personally feel like they did take some of the depth away.

I just didn't connect to this episode like the first and it disappoints me, because I know how great it actually could have been. They have the material and the means to make it a wonderful, embracing tale. But leaving stuff out and making it feel rushed isn't going to suck you in.

Maybe it was just me. Maybe I was expecting more with the time they had. The game isn't 100% off of your choices. The game plays out how it will no matter what. Some things may effect differently, but not enough for them to not have it worked on before the two month delay. It just kind of comes off as lazy.

• I personally have not encountered any bugs, and I'm playing it on a computer that according to the min spec, shouldn't even be able to run it. I was expecting lots of bugs. Like random crashes and total computer shutdowns.

If you're playing on a console, perhaps you have issues because, well, the PS3 is old. Sure, when it came out is was top of the line as far as gaming consoles go, but a cheap gaming PC at that time was still more powerful.

Don't blame graphics glitches on the game. Blame it on your shitty hardware.

And as for Mark, why would you create a detailed backstory for somebody who's going to die? It's enough that in the 3 months that pass they pick up a new member of two. Why do they need any more explanation than that on a doomed character?

• I agree that they could've introduced Mark better, I'm not saying they couldn't have.

As for the dairy farm, if you remember the episode 2 preview they already had the farm in mind. They had to put it in. I guess in your view they sort of shot themselves in the foot. Same with the motor inn scenes. If they were going to go into how Mark became part of the group, a cut scene wouldn't do it, it would've required a whole new sequence to be added to the episode, and they just did not have the time I guess.

As for the gripe about the choices. It's hard to make a game that makes you feel like 100% of your choices will have a major effect in every episode. If the game was truly tailored like that to each and every player, it would be totally impractical. Having a game play out relatively similar for each player makes it easier for the team to go from one episode to the next. Just think about all the work that has to be done for taking in account for saving Carley or Doug. Those scenes have to done twice, each with one of those characters.

Add Comment