User Avatar Image

TWD: Could not Initialize Direct3d

posted by Saphire on - last edited - Viewed by 3K users

Hey,

I've been looking all over the forums and haven't been able to find a solution that fixes my problems. So far I have:
Updated my video drivers
Updated to new Realtek HD Drivers
Checked my DirectX version

And all of it seems up to date and I'm still getting these problems. When I try to boot the game (through steam) the screen goes black then the game enters a window and immediately goes white concealing an error that says the game could not initialize the direct 3d. Attached is a text file with my dxdiag run. I first encountered this problem when I was playing with the resolutions in game when it caused a CTD and then the problem persisted.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Okay, that sounds like the game saved settings that don't work.
    These are stored in the prefs.prop, but if you just delete it, you won't have access to your savegames anymore.
    The Siezemore fix should reset your settings and restore access to your savegames at once.
    Make sure you make a backup copy of
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    before, just in case.

• Thanks for the reply, however even after I remove the folder I'm still getting the same CTD and blank screen.

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

Is there another prefs.prop in your
    Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default\
    folder?
    Some people seem to have that. If so, move it so the game doesn't find it.

If that doesn't help either, keep the backup you made earlier, and try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the game.

• @DjNDB said: Is there another prefs.prop in your
    Steam\SteamApps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default\
    folder?
    Some people seem to have that. If so, move it so the game doesn't find it.

That did the trick :D, thanks for your help!!

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

That's awesome. You're welcome. If your save games are missing now, you can use the fix from above.

• hey i have this same problem except not only does it say "could not initialize the direct 3d" it also has a little window after that which says "unfortunately this error cannot be recovered"
    i have tried a lot
    installing direct3d again, installing the game again, running as admin, changing compatibility mode, checking for updates on my drivers none of it has worked

one thing i've noticed is when i search the steam/steamapps/common/the walking dead\Pack\default there IS NO prefs.prop file in there i dunno whether that makes a difference,

can anyone help me? am i well n truly fuccked when it comes to playin walkin dead? D:

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

@jack1234 said: hey i have this same problem except not only does it say "could not initialize the direct 3d" it also has a little window after that which says "unfortunately this error cannot be recovered"

Did the earlier episodes work, or are you just starting?

• @jack1234 said: hey i have this same problem except not only does it say "could not initialize the direct 3d" it also has a little window after that which says "unfortunately this error cannot be recovered"
    i have tried a lot
    installing direct3d again, installing the game again, running as admin, changing compatibility mode, checking for updates on my drivers none of it has worked

one thing i've noticed is when i search the steam/steamapps/common/the walking dead\Pack\default there IS NO prefs.prop file in there i dunno whether that makes a difference,

can anyone help me? am i well n truly fuccked when it comes to playin walkin dead? D:

I am having the same exact problem. I have done everything also, and still cannot get it to work. I was able to play through the first 2 episodes and as soon as the third was downloaded I was unable to play it. please help me i really love this game and would like to play it to the end :(

• the earlier episodes worked fine, then when i tried to play the third it just wouldnt load full stop, i tried the "run adminstrator" thing n once it did that thats when the direct3d error occured, thanks for your help! i feel very defeated lol

• User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

I don't know if there is a way that won't delete the savegames, so let's be careful.
    The easiest way to debug this is by creating a new windows user profile. If it works there, it's something in the games settings file or registry.

Alternatively you can make a backup of
    %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    and then delete the prefs.prop. That file contains information about your savegames though, so if it works then, you can try the fix mentioned above to restore your savegames.

Add Comment