User Avatar Image

[PS3] Walking Dead deleted all my saves

posted by marcu5 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.3K users

booted up my ps3 today, went to walking dead and it said there was an error and it would correct itself. after allowing it to do it's thing, i went to play and all my saved games are gone. the file is still in the saved folder though. any help?

edit: the save file may have also been altered because it's only 167KB now. crap, did i just lose everything??

48 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • The same thing happened to me. I was about to start the third game save for episode 2 and had the exact same thing happen to me. I lost everything also. My save file is also 167kb. I am concerned that if I play it again the same thing will happen. What a colossal waste it's turned out to be:(

• @dlpoi said: The same thing happened to me. I was about to start the third game save for episode 2 and had the exact same thing happen to me. I lost everything also. My save file is also 167kb. I am concerned that if I play it again the same thing will happen. What a colossal waste it's turned out to be:(

yep, i was about to start my third play through over. now i know to save my games on a usb drive. ridiculous. that's about 12 hours i have to re-dedicate to this game.

• I created an account for the sole purpose of responding to this thread because it happened to me too.

I just finished Episode 2 for the second time and I was all set to play it a third time with my third save file when my PS3 said, "Save filed corrupted. Attempting to recreate" or something along those lines. I know for a fact I turned off my PS3 when it was done saving. I'm glad this happened to other people too and it's not just me. My save file also says 167kb and all my progress is gone.

I really hope someone at Telltale sees this because this sucks hardcore and is bound to happen to more people. It's like playing a Final Fantasy game for hours without saving and then dying, losing all that time you put in.

• I'm having the same problem the others here are having, "Save file corrupted. Attempting to recreate," or whatever, and then all my saves are gone. You know I've not been one of the crazy fair weather fans of your product, switching on a dime between loving and hating you ("This food is terrible." "And the portions so small!") during this whole lead up to Episode 2 debacle, but I have to say that I'm incredibly pissed about this. (I literally threw my controller when it asked me if I wanted to start a new game with random choices)

I've been real good about evangelizing your product to my friends. (In fact, both I and my friend Kerri played through and finished Episode 2 before this went down, it's my friend Windsor who is apparently S.O.L.)

I swear I'm not one of those people who idly write complaints, in fact this is probably the first consumer complaint I'd ever written, but unless you come up with a solution for people who lost their saves, (perhaps a detailed save file creator) I can't see buying episode III and onward. Please respond, we can't even find the controller now, lol.

• @marcu5 said: yep, i was about to start my third play through over. now i know to save my games on a usb drive. ridiculous. that's about 12 hours i have to re-dedicate to this game.

Obviously I am also concerned to begin playing again since there has been no response from the company on this catastrophic 'bug' in the PS3 version of their game. Unfortunately, I bought the season pass and I have no idea if I can get a refund if this problem is not resolved (buyer beware).

As it is I, and I am sure all others in this thread and other similar threads, have lost hours and hours of time on this game since the save data corruption seems to happen when you reach the third save on Episode 2. At least that is what happened to me; and from what I have read seems to have happened to others.

My other concern with restarting all over is that my save game data shows copying prohibited under the lock information. Therefore, I am unable to copy it to a USB drive (I also do not subscribe to Plus so I can not copy it to the cloud).

Are others able to copy their save game data to a USB drive? I definitely will not be wasting my time on this game if I can not back up the save game data. Considering there is the possibility or inevitability that all your save game data will be erased, it is not worth the time or effort.

If this defect in their game is not resolved and we are unable to back up the save game data to a USB drive what can us Season Pass holders do besides becoming a Plus member (which is unacceptable)? Sorry. I had to rant since the whole thing is so frustrating.

• Any idea when Telltale is going to fix the game-breaking glitch that deletes all previous save-files on the PS3 during 3rd playthrough attempt of episode 2? I don't have 40+ hours to keep replaying this game after each new episode is released. It's happened to me twice already on the 3rd save slot of the 3rd playthough of Episode 2. Each time I started Episode 2 (fresh after Episode 1 on the 3rd save slot), a message pops up saying: save file corrupted, creating new files (something to that degree). Now I'm leaving the 3rd save slot empty, and only completing Episodes 1 & 2 on save slots 1 & 2 respectfully, hoping I could use my 3rd save slot for my (...) Silent Lee approach, when this glitch is ultimately fixed, or even acknowledged.

I bought it on PS3 because of the season pass, but how the hell is this game even tailored to how you play if it deletes all your save files- sucking away the enthusiasm needed to even continue playing?!

Telltale should have something in mind to appease their fan-paying public? This is a real drag. The game's great, but this glitch is killing my drive to continue following the story- especially if this random-erase glitch could happen down the line with the remaining episodes. If this is a sign of what's to come with digital gaming, I'll focus on reading more. There's no excuse for this kind of crap, especially when its lining Telltale's pockets with millions! It would be nice if a patch is created to address this problem, if not, perhaps being able to re-download the episodes free of charge on the PC or 360 would be nice. Even more so, if the glitches on those systems are addressed.

• @BrechtianDinnerTheater said: I swear I'm not one of those people who idly write complaints, in fact this is probably the first consumer complaint I'd ever written, but unless you come up with a solution for people who lost their saves, (perhaps a detailed save file creator) I can't see buying episode III and onward. Please respond, we can't even find the controller now, lol.

I must admit, I'm in no way an avid consumer complainer, or a huge fan of Telltale games, I'm just a gamer who happens to love The Walking Dead. This is my first real complaint, and it would be such a crime to see the facet of a loyal paying customer ignored when regarding good business ethics. I hope something is done on Telltale's end. Acknowledgement is a good place to start.

• Hi all,

I just registered to let you know it happened to me also. I borrowed my boyfriends PS3 to play. He finished game 1, I played game 2, then I started my next game in slot 3. I finished episode one, and as it was saving I got the error "Save file corrupted. Attempting to recreate." After I noticed the previous save files were gone, I rebooted.. nothing. I gave up when it offered to started episode 2 with the random story generated.

I did notice something though: the only game saved was the game two. Game 1, my bf saved Carly. Game 2, I saved Doug. Game 3, I saved Carly. After everything went nuts and corrupted itself, it rebooted with only one file. When I loaded it, Doug was still around (Episode 2). I have no idea if thats useful to know, but it cant hurt.

Oh, and I'm glad to have found this board. It was difficult convincing my boyfriend that I'm not the one who deleted all his hours of work lol :)

• this glitch still hasn't been fixed or even acknowledged.

im so disappointed in these TTG characters

• It's aggravating. I just hope this gets ACKNOWLEDGED with a fix, before I invest more time in future episodes.

Add Comment