User Avatar Image

To Telltale Games: About Kenny...

posted by zgamer on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Now before you misunderstand anything, I want them to know that I do respect how they have developed Kenny's character up to now. I think it added a whole new dimension to the story the way he handled what to do with Larry, even if it was shocking. A good character needs to have complexity and at this point Kenny has shown a large boost in character complexity in episode 2. I have found him overall to be one of the most interesting characters in the game.

Having said that, I feel like the way they have handled the progression has been a bit uneven. I, along with a majority of the players based on the stat trailer, picked the option to reason with Larry to try and calm both of them down. I can understand Kenny not wanting to accept that, since he is a very hard headed guy and he could see it as disagreeing with him. That said, I then proceeded in PRETTY MUCH EVERY OTHER SITUATION to side with Kenny to the point I yelled and threatened Larry that I would die before they touched Duck. I had already saved him from the walkers earlier and I wanted to do my best to protect him because I cared for that family.

So why does Kenny only remember the time I tried to reason with Larry and make it seem like everything else I did never happened? It is one thing if I actually voted to throw Duck out, but it feels like an overreaction to all the other choices I made that pretty much showed I was loyal to Kenny. Heck, I fed Duck in episode 2 and Kenny treated me like his best friend for "being a real man," but then he turned around in the next scene and told me how horrible I was because I "voted to throw him out" (which I did not!).

I don't think Kenny is a terrible person and I want to be able to show that (which there were not really any options to do so), even if I was frustrated with how he handled Larry in episode 2. It just comes across as an error in either the writing or the game's stat tracking. Is it possible to address this either in episode 2 or later in episode 3? Or is this part of some story arc I am not fully grasping?

60 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • What's the BASIC SURVIVAL against ZOMBIES? None, not even Boy Scouts know what to do LOL AGRRRRRRRR Scream is all we can do :) Let the nightmares begins in "The Walking Dead"

• @BlankCanvasDJ said: I think that's just the kind of man Kenny is, and it's a side of him that really started coming out in Episode 2. He's an all-or-nothing kind of guy. To Kenny, if you're not with him 100% of the time, you're not with him.

I think that's a very astute assessment of his character.

It seems like he is very unwelcoming of other people's opinions that differ from his own, even if they are about insignificant subjects or are obviously better that his ideas. For example, when he wants to get behind the locked barn door in episode 2 he acquiesces to Lee's request that he not just break the lock with a hammer in front of Andy, but still gets bitchy when you offer a more practical solution.

In fact the only time I can recall him even remotely welcoming an opinion that was not his own is when you tell him to forgive himself about letting Shawn die (or rather not trying to help).

• My game i was playing the mediator roll and never taking anyones side specifically. and trying to keep them both happy.

when talking after the event he seemed more angry at himself for stepping over the line. and doing what larry wanted to do to his son.

he still recognized that i was a friend and talked to me calmly about the fallout.
    i told him he was no hero and destroyed 2 lives and he will have to live with that.

he seems to be more regretfull than anything else in my game.

• Makes me wonder if there is a specific reason for how Kenny is behaving. More than just because it's his family. I mean, something we may seen in a future Episode.

Maybe we are meant to develop a hate for Kenny, then have to decide who to save again or push his trust to some ultimate limit. Sure Larry was just looking out for his daughter, but alot of us wanted him dead asap. Maybe we're meant to like Kenny from the start, have him turn on us, then be forced to save his life later on.

As I've mentioned before, upon learning of Kenny's boat and personally believe that could be the ultimate safety, that's been MY main goal.. So I'll do my best for the group, I'll put up with Kenny's attitude swings at leaste till we're on the boat. (providing the boat isnt sunk or the marina destroyed at the end) in which case I'll just off Kenny!

• Both the option to reason with him (it sounds like reason with Larry not Kenny) and the fact that it assumes you voted to kick Duck out (when you clearly don't) because of that one option seems broken. The first because it's not clear who it's refering to even as Lee himself speaks to Kenney (seriously, I didn't even realise Lee was reasoning with Kenny until I just read this very thread, always found Kenney's response weird), and the latter because you can shout down Larry and be clearly on Kenney's side in protecting Duck and not have it count, whereas if you choose to have Kenney punch Larry (both options are marked as side with Kenney by the way) then it does get carried over.

I have two playthroughs both with reasoning with him but one where Kenney punched Larry and one where Lee shouted Larry into having a heartattack and stating that Larry would have to kill him (Lee) first. The game clearly remembers me sticking by Kenney for the former but not the latter, indicating that some checkbox somewhere isn't getting ticked like it should.

• @Jazzy said: Both the option to reason with him (it sounds like reason with Larry not Kenny) and the fact that it assumes you voted to kick Duck out (when you clearly don't) because of that one option seems broken. The first because it's not clear who it's refering to even as Lee himself speaks to Kenney (seriously, I didn't even realise Lee was reasoning with Kenny until I just read this very thread, always found Kenney's response weird), and the latter because you can shout down Larry and be clearly on Kenney's side in protecting Duck and not have it count, whereas if you choose to have Kenney punch Larry (both options are marked as side with Kenney by the way) then it does get carried over.

I have two playthroughs both with reasoning with him but one where Kenney punched Larry and one where Lee shouted Larry into having a heartattack and stating that Larry would have to kill him (Lee) first. The game clearly remembers me sticking by Kenney for the former but not the latter, indicating that some checkbox somewhere isn't getting ticked like it should.

Which is a shame, as that little rant Lee does was one of my favorite lines in the first game. I was pretty disappointed that Kenny didn't remember that one time Lee shouted at someone so hardcore, it gave that dude heart palpitations.

• The only issue with Kenny that has gotten on my nerves so far appears to be a choice recognition glitch in episode 1 and 2. I sided with kenny on all matters in episode one. For some reason after the episode it still says I sided with larry.

I don't want to post spoilers, but it is brought up in conversation in episode 2 how I didn't stand up for him. I know the choices, I didn't make a mistake on the matter. My only annoyance.

• Have other people experienced this?

I chose to reason with Larry at first then very quickly started threatening him etc when he acted unreasonable, and Kenny has been nothing but nice to me since. I definitely clicked that option, it even shows me saying we reason with him in the Episode 1 flashback, but Kenny says "we really gave him hell" etc after the argument and calls me a good friend when he picks me up

• @Merc said: Which is a shame, as that little rant Lee does was one of my favorite lines in the first game. I was pretty disappointed that Kenny didn't remember that one time Lee shouted at someone so hardcore, it gave that dude heart palpitations.

Aye, I would prefer to choose it everytime it's that epic! :D

Just replayed my main to test (and to see what happens when you kill Larry instead, made a copy of my save beforehand) and Kenny definitely remembers you standing up for him if you chose to get him to try punching Larry as my Lee brought up his standing by Kenny as a reason to give Lily the benefit of the doubt, whereas my playthrough yesterday with the epic speech instead Kenny brought up in order to point out that Lee wanted to let Duck die, so it's definitely something up with the choice.

• @PeopleSandwich said: Have other people experienced this?

I chose to reason with Larry at first then very quickly started threatening him etc when he acted unreasonable, and Kenny has been nothing but nice to me since. I definitely clicked that option, it even shows me saying we reason with him in the Episode 1 flashback, but Kenny says "we really gave him hell" etc after the argument and calls me a good friend when he picks me up

This is why I think it's supposed to carry over whether you get Kenny to punch him or shout him down, as he called me a good friend both times yet in episode 2 it seems to completely forget that I did this with my second playthrough.

Add Comment