User Avatar Image

Spoilers! Brenda Glitch

posted by cols_12 on - last edited - Viewed by 13.1K users

After a long wait for episode 2 of The Walking Dead, near the end i find out i cant finish it because There is no option for Brenda when she takes Kennys Wife hostage. Does anyone know a way to fix this glitch? I go through the door and when i walk forward i get shot and there is no option to talk or anything.

152 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Jdzspace said: Ok, this is silly. There doesn't need to be users insulting other users about this. I had this SAME ISSUE my first playthrough, and got really frustrated with it,tried it a dozen or so times. So I get it, i really do.

That being said it is with out a doubt 100% operator error,and NOT a glitch.
    It does NOT matter what choices you make up to that point. None of that matters.

It's very very simple, when she says STOP and points the gun at you. Stop, don't jerk backwards ( which is what I did with out realizing it). Just stay still, it DOES take a few secondsfor the option to pop up, but it will show up.regardless of what you choose prior.

So please ,stop crying glitch when there is no glitch. You probably like me didn't realize you were nudging him back or something. Relax and enjoy the rest of the game :)

Sorry mate but you're wrong. Maybe on pc you're right but on xbox i've done it like 50 times and not moved an inch sometimes taking about a minute to get to her, but the game locks you in and she shoots. It's a glitch pure and simple. Gonna try the rewind thing and see if that helps

• @Tjam84 said: Sorry mate but you're wrong. Maybe on pc you're right but on xbox i've done it like 50 times and not moved an inch sometimes taking about a minute to get to her, but the game locks you in and she shoots. It's a glitch pure and simple. Gonna try the rewind thing and see if that helps

Try swapping controllers (I posted about why this may work in another thread).

I borrowed some controllers from work and was able to successfully pass the Brenda-Scene on my Xbox at home.

Then I swapped back my old controllers and sure enough I failed the scene when I was doing the exact same thing with the controllers from work.

I think it's ludicrous that we have to produce video evidence of this happening. It's also ludicrous that in the mean time the moderators allow trolls to crap all over these threads where we're trying to communicate that it is a serious problem affecting the game.

• @holeydonut said: Try swapping controllers (I posted about why this may work in another thread).

I borrowed some controllers from work and was able to successfully pass the Brenda-Scene on my Xbox at home.

Then I swapped back my old controllers and sure enough I failed the scene when I was doing the exact same thing with the controllers from work.

I think it's ludicrous that we have to produce video evidence of this happening. It's also ludicrous that in the mean time the moderators allow trolls to crap all over these threads where we're trying to communicate that it is a serious problem affecting the game.

If using different controllers got you past it, doesn't that prove that this is an issue with your controllers, not a bug in the game? Unless the bug you were referring to is having Brenda shoot you for moving the stick AT ALL when most people have worn-out controllers that wiggle when stationary....which isn't a bug.

It isn't "ludicrous" to have to make a recording to report the problem. TTG Chimed in here and said they're trying to look into it but can't recreate the problem (I personally wouldnt waste time in this thread if I were them, would be worried about the ACTUAL bugs like the one affecting mac users). Obviously if they can't see the problem they can't fix it. It's not like recordings are hard to produce. I made one of me passing the scene and it took like 10 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLX5KM3HhM

Also, I tried all the selection combinations leading up to this scene trying to recreate it and always passed it. so, if there is a bug (huge emphasis on if) it must not affect the PC version (the steam version anyway) because I can NOT get it to happen. Later on I might dig up my beat up M$ xbox 360 controller from 2004 to see if that does it.

Update: everything worked fine with xbox controller too. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzD2ByMQfDM

• @bghjkl said: If using different controllers got you past it, doesn't that prove that this is an issue with your controllers, not a bug in the game? Unless the bug you were referring to is having Brenda shoot you for moving the stick AT ALL when most people have worn-out controllers that wiggle when stationary....which isn't a bug.

It isn't "ludicrous" to have to make a recording to report the problem. TTG Chimed in here and said they're trying to look into it but can't recreate the problem (I personally wouldnt waste time in this thread if I were them, would be worried about the ACTUAL bugs like the one affecting mac users). Obviously if they can't see the problem they can't fix it. It's not like recordings are hard to produce. I made one of me passing the scene and it took like 10 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFLX5KM3HhM

Also, I tried all the selection combinations leading up to this scene trying to recreate it and always passed it. so, if there is a bug (huge emphasis on if) it must not affect the PC version (the steam version anyway) because I can NOT get it to happen. Later on I might dig up my beat up M$ xbox 360 controller from 2004 to see if that does it.

Update: everything worked fine with xbox controller too. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzD2ByMQfDM

You do realize that in my other thread I do assert that there is an overt problem with the code itself. I assert that the game players have no way to know that their controllers are at fault.

If you play Call of Duty and your left thumbstick is messed up, then your aim moves by itself when you're stationary. You have some feedback mechanism to tell you that something is amiss. On top of this, the game is still playable with the problematic thumbstick.

Contrast that with the Brenda Scene. Users have no way to get feedback that they've encountered a scenario that is impossible to pass if your controller is slightly wonky.

And it's pretty obvious this affects a huge number of players because TTG introduced a very odd gameplay mechanic that I have not come across in any other video game on the Xbox360. There is no game I can think of where the effects are game-halting punitive if your left thumbstick is not absolutely stationary.

Edit... you're a lucky SOB since you were able to pass that scene using your your controller doing what you show in the video. Because I'll swear under oath of penalty of death that I did the same thing and was shot by Brenda about 2 dozen times. Letting go of the thumbstick = shot in the face. And now I have to put up with non-empathetic trolls telling me to eff off. Thanks.

• @Mike said: If any of you are still experiencing this, are you playing with Standard or Minimal UI enabled? Are you playing with a gamepad, or using keyboard/mouse?

Our QA department is definitely looking into this issue, but we have not been able to reproduce it. If any of you have a video of it happening that you could post, it would be helpful.

A funny note in my game is, that when i tried to convince Brenda that i would be her son, it gliched. Everytime then when i tried to stop approaching her lee keep moving forward.

But when i just let Lee say that it's him, not Danny, then everything works fine. I can stop approaching her etc.

• @Nexxes said: A funny note in my game is, that when i tried to convince Brenda that i would be her son, it gliched. Everytime then when i tried to stop approaching her lee keep moving forward.

But when i just let Lee say that it's him, not Danny, then everything works fine. I can stop approaching her etc.

Same as in my game. Exactly. I killed Danny, did you?

• I finally got past this after about 30 attempts. I'm playing on Xbox 360.

What worked for me was to rewind. I didn't kill Danny, and I identified myself as Lee by asking about Katjaa and Duck. I don't think these choices affect anything, but just in case you want to try everything I did, there it is. I don't think Tell-Tale-Games would mess something up like that.

Basically the glitch for me was that Mark at the top of the stairs didn't load. I'm fairly certain he's visible as soon as you open the screen door. If you don't see him, you're going to get shot. It's not red light/green light where you move when Brenda is looking at Katjaa That's a load of crap, basically. It's either bugged or it's not, and Mark not being present is a prime indication.

I did end up switching controllers. I'm not sure that the problem is the controller not resetting to null, but it couldn't hurt to try. When I clicked it forward, what I did was tap the stick up, but not the whole way, basically just enough to get Lee to edge forward - basically halfway to the top. Trying to quickly flicker the control stick the entire way just got me killed.

I think the problem is improperly stored variables, not the null stick position. Basically someone programmed too late into the night, and their testers just happened to get through it by luck of the draw so it slipped through.

I severely doubt that this is actually a test of skill - to have a situation this sensitive is far, far beyond the spectrum of the game's difficulty, and out of the scope of the rest of the first two chapters. This isn't a skill game, and shouldn't be one. Honestly, I would prefer if it was a skill/timing based game, but mostly it's just guiding an awkward cursor onto light up beacons. If this is just programmed to be 'difficult,' it was a major oversight, and should be patched down to the rest of the game.

Think about it: Why would they have a difficult stop/go game for the penultimate encounter with zero instructions, and then for the final scene they give you specific instructions on how to punch. There's no way that it's rigged to be this difficult.

They may be delaying patching this simply because they are in a rush to get future episodes out. This bugs seems sort of common, but if it happens to 1/1000 gamers, financially it's not worth spending time on to build a patch for.

Personally, I'm not going to buy the next episode for at least a few weeks to make sure that there isn't a problem like this. I love Walking Dead, but not enough to sit through this kind of frustration again.

• @Falchek said: I finally got past this after about 30 attempts. I'm playing on Xbox 360.

What worked for me was to rewind. I didn't kill Danny, and I identified myself as Lee by asking about Katjaa and Duck. I don't think these choices affect anything, but just in case you want to try everything I did, there it is. I don't think Tell-Tale-Games would mess something up like that.

Basically the glitch for me was that Mark at the top of the stairs didn't load. I'm fairly certain he's visible as soon as you open the screen door. If you don't see him, you're going to get shot. It's not red light/green light where you move when Brenda is looking at Katjaa That's a load of crap, basically. It's either bugged or it's not, and Mark not being present is a prime indication.

I did end up switching controllers. I'm not sure that the problem is the controller not resetting to null, but it couldn't hurt to try. When I clicked it forward, what I did was tap the stick up, but not the whole way, basically just enough to get Lee to edge forward - basically halfway to the top. Trying to quickly flicker the control stick the entire way just got me killed.

I think the problem is improperly stored variables, not the null stick position. Basically someone programmed too late into the night, and their testers just happened to get through it by luck of the draw so it slipped through.

I severely doubt that this is actually a test of skill - to have a situation this sensitive is far, far beyond the spectrum of the game's difficulty, and out of the scope of the rest of the first two chapters. This isn't a skill game, and shouldn't be one. Honestly, I would prefer if it was a skill/timing based game, but mostly it's just guiding an awkward cursor onto light up beacons. If this is just programmed to be 'difficult,' it was a major oversight, and should be patched down to the rest of the game.

Think about it: Why would they have a difficult stop/go game for the penultimate encounter with zero instructions, and then for the final scene they give you specific instructions on how to punch. There's no way that it's rigged to be this difficult.

They may be delaying patching this simply because they are in a rush to get future episodes out. This bugs seems sort of common, but if it happens to 1/1000 gamers, financially it's not worth spending time on to build a patch for.

Personally, I'm not going to buy the next episode for at least a few weeks to make sure that there isn't a problem like this. I love Walking Dead, but not enough to sit through this kind of frustration again.

It IS a red light/green light event

Mark is not visible at the top of the stairs until Brenda backs up the second time.

A couple posts up I have youtube recordings of myself passing the scene with both keyboard and xbox thumbstick.

I don't think it's even a problem with the controllers, because my xbox controller SUCKS, I got it on launch day, and it's seen 8 years of Halo. The thumbsticks are not perfect, they have quite a bit of play when not being touched, yet I managed to play this scene and vigorously shake the controller with brenda pointing the gun at me, and I still didn't get shot.

This is either a completely random glitch (which I still REALLY want to see a recording of) or just a case of people not knowing how to pass this scene. This is literally the only "do it right or die" point in twd (other than the qte fights)

• I created a forum account just to come here and say the glitch is happening to me too. Whether I use a 360 controller or mouse, I have no dialogue options. I've tried everything. I've changed the UI modes, graphic settings, sound, everything. I looked up youtube videos to make sure I was doing it right, and no luck.

Uninstalling now, good job on the first chapter, got my money's worth for that at least

• @SteelcityCanada said: Wrong. In the scenario I was in I can press nothing at all and still get shot. I know how this scene works as I have been through it close to 30 times.

f*ed if i care if it fixed it for you or not. worked for me. :)

Add Comment