User Avatar Image

Sierra vs. LucasArts

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 790 users

Who do you feel was the better adventure game company, and the better game company overall in their respective heydays (80s-90s)?

Which made better games?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Haggis said:
    On the other hand, Sierra is probably the better overall game company. LucasArts will always be the Star Wars company, while Sierra actually made some pretty good stuff outside of adventure games. SWAT 4 for instance. I love(d) that game.

Only SWAT 4 wasn't Sierra, it was Irrational (a.k.a. developers of BioShock). SWAT 3 was developed by Sierra, and it too was really awesome.

• I didn't even play any Sierra adventures in my childhood. I found out about them about 2-3 years ago and I love all of them.

• @Jennifer said: an RPG/adventure hybrid with Hero's Quest/Quest for Glory

Since you have this in a list of innovations, I'd like to note that Infocom combined RPG elements(including a rudimentary morality system) with Adventure games in Beyond Zork, released in 1987. That game was designed by Brian Moriarty, who LucasArts and graphic adventure fans may better know as the guy behind Loom.

• This is a no-win topic. These guys aren't really a lot alike, and the only reason they get compared so often is because there has barely ever been anyone else to compare them to.

• @Farlander said: Only SWAT 4 wasn't Sierra, it was Irrational (a.k.a. developers of BioShock). SWAT 3 was developed by Sierra, and it too was really awesome.

Ah yes, I always get publishers and developers mixed up... I never actually played SWAT 3 though, but I did play SWAT 2, which was in fact made by Sierra, if I'm not much mistaken. A completely different game, but still quite fun. I loved assembling teams in that game... not that it helped in winning missions though.

• @der_ketzer said: I didn't even play any Sierra adventures in my childhood. I found out about them about 2-3 years ago and I love all of them.

I was the opposite. Sierra was far more interested in distribution here than LA. While LA games were very hard to come by, Sierra was everywhere. I played a whole lot of those games back in the day. I've had to import almost all the LA games I own, which meant waiting til the internet evolved into what it is today.

• I honestly can't answer this poll because I don't know. I grew up playing both quite a bit. The first 3 games I ever played was Red Baron, Space Quest 1 and Police Quest 2. Not to mention the hours spent on just about every game they released after that including the Kings Quest series up to 7th Guest. So I have a lot of love for Sierra. But I also grew up loving Maniac Manson, Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island Series, Full Throttle and of course Grimm Fandago...

I really can't choose one.

• Gihk! Don't make me choose!!!!!

• LucasArts.

I have long said that being able to die in an adventure game is a massive no-no, and LucasArts understood that (after Maniac Mansion, anyway). Hell, they even poke fun of it in MI. I can't get to grips with any of the Sierra games because they require a very different play style - one that punishes you for taking too long to explore a screen or overlooking basic things. I've never liked that, and it's why I've never really liked Sierra games.

• I've never really been like "Gasp. I can die in a vidya game?"

Add Comment