User Avatar Image

I thought I should bring this to my attention...

posted by Debbie82 on - last edited - Viewed by 398 users

...but it seems to me that the World of Monkey Island Forums hasn't been used for nearly a week now. It looks like it's been abandoned. I feel so sad. :(

17 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

You can only maintain fandom for so long. The ToMI forums are hardly frequented in here also. And some great people (like Jen Kollic, DAMN!!) have literally stopped posting for the lack of ToMI news. Years and years between installments of a franchise can be a good thing sometimes, but it sucks when all those fans just dive away.

They'll be back though as soon as LA or TTG or whoever makes a new Monkey Island. That is for certain.

• @Vainamoinen said: They'll be back though as soon as LA or TTG or whoever makes a new Monkey Island.

True enough, but I fear that moment may never come... of course, we thought that before Tales came out too...

But when more work goes into deleting spam, preventing spambots from signing up and making backups than actually supporting an active community, maybe it's time to stop. Or at least to put the whole thing on hiatus.

• Any way to pivot the forum to focus onto the general adventure genre?

• @DAISHI said: Any way to pivot the forum to focus onto the general adventure genre?

Hmmm, that does sound like a viable option, actually. On the other hand, there are quite a few of those around already, if I'm not mistaken (including this one).

The question is, would enough people be interested in such a forum to warrant the radical change of direction?

• Depends how hard you want to go. This forum serves as an adventure game discussion mostly of Lucasarts, Sierra and Telltale. You could angle more toward the indie crowd or lesser known adventure genre. You could tailor parts of the forum toward discussion of current indie adventure game developers. You could keep the piratey theme of course. There's a lot of directions this could go.

• I'll consider focusing on indie adventure games, that's something I'm interested in anyway. I'll keep y'all posted on any developments.

• @Haggis said: I'll consider focusing on indie adventure games, that's something I'm interested in anyway. I'll keep y'all posted on any developments.

Don't forget that I'm still posting and editing stuff in the Monkey Island Wiki from time to time.

• Oh yes, no matter what happens to the forums, the wiki will stay up.

• @Haggis said: Oh yes, no matter what happens to the forums, the wiki will stay up.

Thanks, Haggis. What a nice thing to say. ;)

• Well, it's very sad to see the World of Monkey Island Forums go into hibernation now. And I STILL haven't updated the Game Script for Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 3 to Version 2.0 yet, but I'm still working on it. :(

Add Comment