User Avatar Image

Sierra vs. LucasArts

posted by Anakin Skywalker on - last edited - Viewed by 826 users

Who do you feel was the better adventure game company, and the better game company overall in their respective heydays (80s-90s)?

Which made better games?

46 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Infocom were pretty much perfection in terms of developers and innovators, but nobody thinks of them because Lucasart's adventure games were "puuuuurty".

  • @Farlander said: And nothing beats the excitement of starting the game from scratch because at the very beginning you forgot to check a locker and now when you're so close to the end you can't continue without the item from it! Oh, wait, everything does :p

    I like that model. Space Quest <3.

  • Dead ends were definitely the reason that I would put Sierra beneath Lucas Arts. I just found that to be a product of lack of imagination.

  • I love both, my first adventure games were Monkey Island 1 on the Amiga and King's Quest 5 on the PC. Can't really pick a favorite.

    edit: Just remembered, I also played Leisure Suit Larry 1 on the Amiga. But I was too young and my grasp of English wasn't good enough to get very far into the game. Probably a good thing. :-)

  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

    @MusicallyInspired said: Say what you want, nothing gets your blood and heart pounding in an LA game like setting the Format Countdown and then going to fight Vohaul in SQ4, all the while knowing that if the countdown hits zero the game is over. Nothing in LA games ever had that level of excitement.


    Maniac Mansion did. Once you entered Dr. Fred's secret lab, the self destruct timer started and if you didn't figure out how to get in the security room and get rid of the meteor the self destruct went off and the game ended. You couldn't save your game when you were in the lab, so it was game over if you failed.

  • @Jennifer said: Maniac Mansion did. Once you entered Dr. Fred's secret lab, the self destruct timer started and if you didn't figure out how to get in the security room and get rid of the meteor the self destruct went off and the game ended. You couldn't save your game when you were in the lab, so it was game over if you failed.

    And yet LucasArts abandoned that form of game design immediately after their first game (unless it crops up in Zak too), while Sierra continued to pursue it in many of their games again and again.

  • The best Sierra game I ever played was Gabriel Knight. It's the only one I ever played all the way through.

  • @hangingwithmonkeys said: The best Sierra game I ever played was Gabriel Knight. It's the only one I ever played all the way through.

    Did you only bother to finish because it's better, or do you think it's better because it's the only one you bothered to finish?

  • @Chyron8472 said: Did you only bother to finish because it's better, or do you think it's better because it's the only one you bothered to finish?

    :D It's a lot easier than something like King's Quest . But I enjoyed it alot more than I did other titles. I've only tried about 3 titles by Sierra so far.

  • IIRC, it's quite possible to die in Gabriel Knight 1 because you didn't pick something up earlier in the game.
    Can someone confirm that for me? I'm pretty sure that's the case.

    EDIT: Here's the Let's Play. Every one of the Number.whatever entries is about dying, and many of them explain that you need items (or people!) to survive the game.

Add Comment