User Avatar Image

Generic 'Telltale should make...' thread

posted by Stalkers on - last edited - Viewed by 7.9K users

Was this ever discussed as a potential license? The book series is immensely popular and I guess the license isn't too expensive since the TV series bombed. The stories contain quite a bit of detective work and therefore could probably easily adapted into a computer game, probably as a kind of side story to the ongoing story arc - I mean, there are tons of novellas and short stories already.

774 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@rgabriel15 said: Well, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones are my ideas.
    Tell me another series/movies you would like to see as a Telltale game so i can add to the poll.

Oh, see, now you've said the magic words. Before I was fine with this thread, since it was more a 'which of these would you prefer to see', but now you're flat-out asking us 'what should Telltale make', I get to link to the thread I created dedicated to that very question.

Alakazam!

• @Darth Marsden said: Oh, see, now you've said the magic words. Before I was fine with this thread, since it was more a 'which of these would you prefer to see', but now you're flat-out asking us 'what should Telltale make', I get to link to the thread I created dedicated to that very question.

Alakazam!

I already mentioned about it on the end of the topic "And what do you guys think would be a good idea (serie/movie/anything) for a future Telltale game? "

Maybe everybody missed it.:D

I personally would like to see one of these 3 games i mentioned, but if someone give a great idea too, why not to include in the pool?!

• No it certainly doesn't, but that's the part that Telltale would have trouble with, because it's a matter of budget and man-power.

Honestly, I wouldn't trust TellTale with the Lord of the Rings even if the whole season would just be in Hobbiton. (And no offence to TellTale, I'm a huge ToMI and S&M fan, and, well, ToMI is personally my favourite MI game actually, and am thoroughly enjoying TWD). TellTale can't make the Lord of the Rings game about a journey through the vast landscape of Middle-Earth (Interplay LotR RPGs, Lord of the Rings Online, and, LotrO, btw, does not follow the plot of the books), TellTale can't make the Lord of the Rings game about epic battles (EA's Two Towers and The Return of the King), TellTale can't make it a mix of two (EA's games on GBA, Sierra's the Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring), and TellTale can't even make it about an extremely localized story because it doesn't have the budget to even recreate Hobbiton normally (let's say the plot of the story would be about Saruman taking control of the Shire while the other guys are busy in Gondor), it would be just landmarks, like Bag End, the party tree, the Grange, the Old Mill, Green Dragon's Inn (well, technically it's in Bywater, but the settlement is extremely close to Hobbiton), and Hobbiton is not even that big of a settlement. And I'm stressing this a lot, because the world of Middle-Earth is extremely detailed with a rich sense of history, and TellTale won't be able to make it justice - it would feel small and poor (and it would be even worse if TellTale would try to take us to more places around Middle-Earth). Not to mention that Middle-Earth itself is one of the most important aspects of any LotR game, and even taking the scouring of the Shire plotline into consideration, it would be about the total 'industrialization' of the Shire, - the changing of the land itself and the decaying of that particular part of Middle-Earth, something that just wouldn't feel to be realized to its full potential with just the few small landmarks available to us.

Similar with GoT - GoT is ABOUT following different characters all across the world in a web of political intrigues. That's the reason why the GoT game's got two playable characters, to preserve that feeling. Of course, it's not dozens, but, as far as I understand, the game being RPG and all, it evens it all up by recreating a lot of Westeros (I haven't played the game myself). A GoT adventure game with one playable character just wouldn't make sense.

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

Dude. That is a WALL of text.

Also, I disagree that Telltale couldn't handle either franchise. With LotR, I see your point, but who's to say they couldn't work around that? A side story like War of the North, with each episode being entirely in one place around Middle-Earth - the first one could be the Shire, then the next one could be around... well, whatever the hell towns there are. Been a while since I read the books. But the point stands. With enough time, they could probably make it work (if they wanted).

As for GoT... why would they limit themselves to one character? Surely you could have more than that. I hesitate to use Day of the Tentacle as an example, because switching back and forth would be hell, but having the game switch to a different lead a couple of times per episode in a similar style seems possible. Again, given enough time, they could make it work.

Still would rather see a Supernatural game, but honestly, I'm not that into any of them, so...

• With enough time, they could probably make it work (if they wanted).

Time AND money. And, honestly, that can be applied to absolutely everything. The reality is, though, that TellTale won't have enough time and money to make it work (unless something changes, this applies to the company and the games they're making as it is now). So, no The Lord of the Rings for TellTale.

• I don't know much about Game of Thrones or Supernatural, but it has always been my opinion that Lord of the Rings has to be done as a real-time strategy game. I've played quite a few LotR games, and the only one that really made me feel like I was IN Lord of the Rings were the Battle for Middle Earth RTS games.

Of course, I also have a major soft spot for RTSs... so that might be part of it.

• Of the ones mentioned, from an objective standpoint, Supernatural would work best for Telltale's regimen. Game of Thrones already has a game, although whether or not it does the series justice is another matter entirely. Lord of the Rings....give me a break. The only one that would work well for an adventure game is The Hobbit, and I don't want that to be done by Telltale. Besides, in spite of its massive issues, I'm probably the only one here who liked the Hobbit PC platformer.

• Besides, in spite of its massive issues, I'm probably the only one here who liked the Hobbit PC platformer.

I thoroughly enjoyed that game too. Internet high five!

• User Avatar Image
    Darth Marsden Moderator

@Secret Fawful said: Besides, in spite of its massive issues, I'm probably the only one here who liked the Hobbit PC platformer.

If it's the same one that came out on the PS2, then I have it as well. I'm not alone, woo!

• @rgabriel15 said: Except for the fact that the 2 games based on Game of thrones are very weak. :(

GOT deserves something much better.

The only game company that could do GoT justice is Creative Assembly. A Game of Thrones: Total War marriage would be too awesome for this world to contain.

As for the poll I don't think GoT would be well suited to an Adventure Game or Interactive Movie so I don't think Telltale would be really right for it, nor LotR for that matter, and I don't really give a stuff about Supernatural.

Add Comment