User Avatar Image

"Since Lee's Urban and all"

posted by Joshua1991 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.0K users

Does anybody not like Kenny anymore after that racist comment towards Lee

120 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ozzmann said: This is true but it was apparent(to me anyway) that Kenny was using "Urban" as a stereotype of black people from the city.:D

It's one thing to believe in stereotypes, though, and another thing to hate people for what they look like, etc.

It didn't strike me as a hateful comment, rather as an uneducated one.

• @WowMutt said:
    Also, Larry called Lee "boy" a couple time's. that's more racist than Kenny asking lee if he can pick locks!

I don't find that racist in the slightest, but, I'm from the UK, so in the US, it probably means more than it does here. If someone could verify that for me?

Do agree about the whole comment just being an idiotic thing. A typical stereotypical comment, based from the world's media. I think too many people are reading more into it. As I have been playing the game, I've tried to treat it as if I was actually there, instead of making decisions based on how I want the game to go.

The "urban" comment, I just took as someone who isn't handling the whole situation more calmly, which a lot of people wouldn't be doing as well. An off the cuff remark, which, as I said, comes from media stereotypes. I've got a skinhead and tattoos, and have been called a nazi, many, many times, and I am far from that type of person, but thanks to stereotypes, people judge you on what they don't know or are willing to understand.

I like the fact Telltale put the comment in. It makes it more, you know, realistic. These things do get said in the real world, and I think it just added more interest to the story and the characters.

• i've been replaying my fuck kenny to try and get clem to lower her hopes of finding her parents. and talking to kenny even knowing what you know now it's hard to be abrasive to him like if you tell him you dont know what your doing with clem he admits he didn't know what he was doing at first when duck was born

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@skonk said: I don't find that racist in the slightest, but, I'm from the UK, so in the US, it probably means more than it does here. If someone could verify that for me?

I brought the fact that Larry called Lee "boy" in a racist tone in another topic, and someone posted a quote from wikipedia about the term's use in the US. I'll repost the quote here.

@skonk said: From Wiki:

Historically, in countries such as the U.S. and South Africa, "boy" was not only a 'neutral' term for domestics but also used as a disparaging racist insult towards men of colour (especially of African descent), recalling their subservient status even after the 20th century legal emancipation (from slavery, evolved to race segregation, viz. Apartheid) and alleged infantility, and many still consider it offensive in that context to this day since it denotes that men of colour (especially of African descent) are less than men.

Georgia, the state where The Walking Dead is set, still does have a lot of racism, and "boy" is definitely still considered a racist term over there when said to an African-American man, depending on the context. Larry's tone and demeanor towards Lee when calling him a boy definitely fit the context of racism.

• @Drake Sigar said: I think Kenny is ignorant of all cultures other than his own, so it's not personal. He probably thinks us Brits go around wearing monocles and tophats.

And is also surprised to hear that we Brits actually drink Coffee as well as tea
    :)

• Ah! Cheers, Jennifer! Can see what WowMutt meant now! So, Larry calling lee,"boy", is more than likely Larry being an old, set in his ways, kind of local, meaning boy in the way you described. I think the only time I've heard the word, boy, being used, was on old uk tv programmes, where a schoolteacher shouted it at a boy! "You, boy! Sit down!"

It's funny how some words are seen totally different over here than the USA. Fanny, being a particularly amusing one!

• I also thought boy just means boy. Weird though, how do you call a black young male / infant then?

I also had to learn that I cant use the N word, as here in the Netherlands is somewhat common to use and not restricted by that only black people itself can say it. It is also not as offensive as it is the States, but is often used between friends.

We have the word Neger ( the n word in Dutch) it comes from the Spanish or Portuguese word Negro.
    What means black. So it is the same thing here as saying that someone is a black person.
    The whole context of it is so much different.

The dictionary here also defines that the word is to point out people that live south of the Sahara Dessert excluding the Horn of Africa.

• Boy, lad, and son are common words used by men to describe anyone younger than them in my area. "Go on, my son!" being a favoured shout to a well-liked football player. Admittedly 'boy' is the most derogatory of the three though.

• [quote]
    I think Kenny is ignorant of all cultures other than his own, so it's not personal. He probably thinks us Brits go around wearing monocles and tophats.[/quote]

This mental image gives me all kinds of giggles.

Im black and I pretty much responded to Kenny the way Lee did. "You did not just say that! Oh whatever, you're just being an idiot, moving on." I think it does add a bit of realism to the game so Im not fussed about it.

• User Avatar Image
    BSM

I'm a black guy and I laughed my ass off. It was a dumb comment, completely out of left field, but what made it really funny was his defense.

"Man, I'm from Florida! Shit just comes out sometimes..."

HA!

Add Comment