User Avatar Image

"Since Lee's Urban and all"

posted by Joshua1991 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users

Does anybody not like Kenny anymore after that racist comment towards Lee

120 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Lee's response, for me, added more realism to the fact you are playing a game. His reaction was great! Even as Kenny was saying it, I was thinking,"No! Did he really just say that!?!?!"

• @Aexra said: I also thought boy just means boy. Weird though, how do you call a black young male / infant then?

I also had to learn that I cant use the N word, as here in the Netherlands is somewhat common to use and not restricted by that only black people itself can say it. It is also not as offensive as it is the States, but is often used between friends.

We have the word Neger ( the n word in Dutch) it comes from the Spanish or Portuguese word Negro.
    What means black. So it is the same thing here as saying that someone is a black person.
    The whole context of it is so much different.

The dictionary here also defines that the word is to point out people that live south of the Sahara Dessert excluding the Horn of Africa.

Funny how that works out. I think the word that you call "N" comes from the Spanish and Portuguese words for black. One can use the word "youth" or "child" or "young adult" any word can be used, even boy. Though I imagine an American would be cautious in the context it is used when speaking about a black. Also..you guys in the Netherlands would be wise not to use that word. it is a word for ignorant people. But..to each is own.

But lets not get into that too much eh? I notice the German moderator is sensitive to topics of race.

As for the comment I thought it was funny. I laughed. I like the Florida jab too. Ironic since the games developers are in California. Shoot where I come from we could just as easily say...

"Hell man I don't know what I'm talking about I'm from California, crazy shit just comes out of my mouth."

• I suppose when we're all zombies, race is no longer an issue!

• User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator

@The_Cheshire_Cat said:
    But lets not get into that too much eh? I notice the German moderator is sensitive to topics of race.

The German moderator IS sensitive to topics of race. But also very very aware of how the last thread with the topic went down, and that was a veritable disaster with a whole bunch of actually racist comments in it. :(

• I don't think that Kenny thinking that Lee could pick a lock means that he is racist. That's not racism, it's stereotype... If Kenny was racist, he wouldn't offer him a ride to Macon, or save his life. He would treat him like a piece of shit... Strerotype is wrong too.... but not as bad as racism, I think...

• I thought it was a light hearted moment. I mean, I don't thing Kenny's racist in the way that makes you deserve being flayed alive. Just ignorant, or maybe he Knows something... Like some others suggested.

• I laughed hard at the awkward situation it caused!

• @The_Cheshire_Cat said: Funny how that works out. I think the word that you call "N" comes from the Spanish and Portuguese words for black. One can use the word "youth" or "child" or "young adult" any word can be used, even boy. Though I imagine an American would be cautious in the context it is used when speaking about a black. Also..you guys in the Netherlands would be wise not to use that word. it is a word for ignorant people. But..to each is own.

As for the comment I thought it was funny. I laughed. I like the Florida jab too. Ironic since the games developers are in California. Shoot where I come from we could just as easily say...

"Hell man I don't know what I'm talking about I'm from California, crazy shit just comes out of my mouth."

I don't use the word anymore since I have met allot of Americans trough sports.
    Also in the media (films etc.) it is considered a bad word world wide now. I rather be safe then sorry. My last intentions would be to insult someone, let alone be racial. I thought I would brought it up, that the same words can have different contexts throughout the world. Also by culture.

Japanese people are considered "racial" when you are in Japan. If you get to know there culture allot of it is understandable when you get where it came from and see the context.

Same goes for American TV, allot of things cant be said, here you can say almost every swear word.

I find that interesting how those "same" things can be so much different in other area's in the world.
    But that is maybe an other discussion, I'm going of topic to much now :p

• User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

@skonk said: It's funny how some words are seen totally different over here than the USA. Fanny, being a particularly amusing one!

Once I found out what it meant in the UK, I can see why Warren Spector and Disney decided for Oswald the Lucky Rabbit's girlfriend in Epic Mickey would be Ortensia rather than Fanny (of course, the meaning in the United States also would make that name embarrassing, although much less so). :p

• @Augurk said: I laughed hard at the awkward situation it caused!

Kenny recovers from it strong, though.

The comment about being from Florida was comedic genius. It's always best to diffuse tension with humor!

Add Comment