User Avatar Image

In your first playthrough did you...

posted by Sisterofshane on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

...both chop off the teacher's leg, and side with Lilly in the meat locker? What were the exact circumstances behind each dilemma that you faced?

For an example, I will tell you what happened in MY first playthrough of episode 2. I didn't immediately chop off the teacher's leg. I first tried to hit the chain with the axe, and after that failed to do ANY visible damage, I then tried to pry open the trap by force. It was at this point Kenny said "Do something now or ..." (and I honestly don't remember EVERYTHING he said, because of the heat of the moment). At this point, I decided to chop off his leg. Three hits, leg was off, and I escaped with the teacher.

Fast forward to the meat locker, I chose to side with Kenny, for a multitude of reasons that would take TOO long to put here, but the least of which being that I felt that it was impossible to save Larry's life, and that every second exponentially increased the risk of him turning into a walker with us still trapped in the meat locker. Even then, I waited 'til the last possible second to finally click on Kenny.

I'm not going to include a poll, because I feel that is impossible to accurately capture EVERYONE'S specific reasoning behind their choices (not without using up the 50 option limit, anyway). With that said, please feel free to say WHY you did what you did, in both situations! I'm hoping to glean some insight on how morally consistent people are, and I think that these two situations are the closest I can get in game for comparison!

Also, please try to keep disagreements to a minimum - there are plenty of other threads in which already exist to argue about the finer parts of morality in the Walking Dead setting - all of which I would recommend if you are looking for a good time (or argument :D)! I'm really looking for more a statistical view of people, as opposed to WHY someone is right or wrong.

EDIT: Part 2, for those who chopped off the leg - did it occur to you that the teacher may die from blood loss later? Did it matter to you that he might have been dead either way?

Part 3 - What was your honest assessment at Larry's chance at life? If you had to give a percentage as to how sure you were that he could be revived, what would it be? Did that influence your decision to side with Lilly or not?

Part 4 - How many of you also gave Irene the gun in episode one? Explain why you did or did not allow her to kill herself.

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wasted way too much time in trying to free the teacher from the bear trap before finally trying to cut the teacher's leg off. I was one chop away from freeing him before we had to retreat.

In the meat locker, I hated Larry but I still side with Lilly. A daughter is pleading to me for the life of her father and I can't ignore it.

• Tried hitting the chain first, but saw it didn't do a thing after the second swing. Then, though shocked at my own actions, i took off his leg in a desperate attempt to keep the guy alive.

In the meatlocker I sided with Lilly, as I wasn't utterly convinced Larry couldn't be saved. "Killing" a man you don't know for sure is dead is crossing the line for me. I even thought "hey, those salt licks are probably here for this reason" and figured that maybe a large chunk of salt forced down larry's throat might have the same effect as a shot of adrenaline and make his heart start pumping again (yes everyone, be happy I didn't study medicine). I was wrong, even though the salt licks were there for that scene alright...

• @Sisterofshane said: Interesting- you thought that killing Larry was the right thing to do, but didn't want to be the one to take the fall? Or you were expecting that you would save Larry's life and that you would then be relieved that NO ONE had to kill him?

The first. I knew Kenny would do the dirty job and I could still look good. I never thought it'd turn Kenny into what he ended up being though. Yeek.

• I tried every other option except for the chain, which I didn't notice, before cutting his leg off. But, I did anyway.

I sided with Kenny in the meat locker, just because of what happened back at the Motor Inn, with the teacher becoming a zombie pretty fast. (There was only a 30-40 second period between Katjaa telling Kenny and Lee that the teacher's dead, and him attacking her.)

• I tried the chain and chopping through the tree, then I left him to die, knowing that the group couldn't feed another person, let alone someone injured. I would have left Ben to die too if I could, thankfully the other kid was good enough to shoot himself.
    As for Larry, I'd softened on him by the time he collapsed and was firmly in Team Lilly so didn't hesitate to help. I was furious at Kenny seeing as Larry was just waking up when he got his head smashed in.

• Time for some results? Yes, I think it's time for some! :)

Out of twenty-two (22) people, nineteen (19) at least attempted to cut off the teacher's leg. Fifteen (15) were successful, and four (4) ran out of time (yikes!).

Only three (3) people didn't attempt to chop off the leg.

Kenny ended up with eight (8) supporters in the meat locker.

Lilly had fourteen (14) supporters in the meat locker.

Every single person who sided with Kenny in the meat locker decided to cut off the teacher's leg. Only one (1) person from this subset failed to chop through the entire leg.

Out of the group that sided with Lilly, sixpeople ended up leaving the teacher to die ( three [3] attempting to cut off the leg but failing). Eight managed to rescue the teacher.

There. Hardly enough people to draw conclusions from, but seeing as how we've had 900 people look at this thread and only 22 full responses (:mad:), I think it's time to move on to part two:

To everyone who decided to chop off the teachers leg, did it occur to you that he might die from the loss of the leg? (If you didn't chop off the teacher's leg, was it because you didn't want to risk his life by removing the leg?)

New posters feel free to answer the previous questions in addition to this one! (And there are about 800 Lurkers out there, this is a perfect thread to break the ice!).

• @Sisterofshane said:

To everyone who decided to chop off the teachers leg, did it occur to you that he might die from the loss of the leg? (If you didn't chop off the teacher's leg, was it because you didn't want to risk his life by removing the leg?)

New posters feel free to answer the previous questions in addition to this one! (And there are about 800 Lurkers out there, this is a perfect thread to break the ice!).

Dave was going to die by walker for sure. It looked like he had tourniquet installed (yeah it was installed wrong and was not going to do anything but maybe it was a magic tourniquet) on his leg so maybe he would not bleed out before we got him back to Kat at home base and would live. That was the plan anyways...but things kinda went awry.

• @Sisterofshane said: Time for some results? Yes, I think it's time for some! :)

Out of twenty-two (22) people, nineteen (19) at least attempted to cut off the teacher's leg. Fifteen (15) were successful, and four (4) ran out of time (yikes!).

Only three (3) people didn't attempt to chop off the leg.

Kenny ended up with eight (8) supporters in the meat locker.

Lilly had fourteen (14) supporters in the meat locker.

Every single person who sided with Kenny in the meat locker decided to cut off the teacher's leg. Only one (1) person from this subset failed to chop through the entire leg.

Out of the group that sided with Lilly, sixpeople ended up leaving the teacher to die ( three [3] attempting to cut off the leg but failing). Eight managed to rescue the teacher.

There. Hardly enough people to draw conclusions from, but seeing as how we've had 900 people look at this thread and only 22 full responses (:mad:), I think it's time to move on to part two:

I wasn't worried about that at the time. What mattered the most was getting him away from the walkers.

• ran out of time mean you get someone else on the truck bed...

i shot the bird, chopped the leg, remained neutral, gave axe to mark, sided with lilly, told the cold hard truth about the meal, picked sythe, spared the brothers. looted the car and justified it to clem.

am i bad ?

• i chopped off the leg right away - the guy was screaming and attracting zombies , and his leg was already ruined anyway. but really and most importantly, we are in a zombie apocalypse, and let's face it, quick decision making is what will keep you alive in the long run.

did i think he might die from losing blood? sure, why not? i actually thought he might die on the spot from the shock of me chopping his leg in three goes. that was brutal. but none of that mattered - the group did not know at the time that everyone is infected, and it does not spread exclusively through bites.

in the meat locker i sided with Kenny. i always have through the two episodes, as i understand his motivations. he was absolutely right at that moment. his wife and son were held hostage by a family of cannibals, while a huge unlikable dude was about to become a zombie. quick decision-making in a zombie apocalypse, remember?

say it was Clem or even Lilly who had a heart attack - fine, we could wait and see if they turn eventually - three unarmed men in the room could probably handle a zombie kid or a chick. but Larry? are you kidding me? there's no way a father and a father-figure (and Lee is certainly that to Clem) could risk a chance like that.

Add Comment