User Avatar Image

TWD: PC Missing Save Game / Game Restart [POSSIBLE SOLUTION Windows7/64 bit]

posted by tokra100 on - last edited - Viewed by 1.6K users

Hi All,

Like many of you on here I have been plagued by my game restarting every time I accidentally pressed escape, alt-tab etc. After a lot of digging I managed to come up with a fix that works for me. I have only tested this on Windows 7-64 bit, however, the nature of the fix should work for any 64 bit version of windows.

NOTE: After further experimentation I have found that a cut down version of the original instructions also works 9/10 times (and restores your current saves). Please try Method 1 first and if for some reason that fails move onto method 2.

WARNING: This fix involves editing you systems registry. Please backup your registry before making any changes.

Method 1

1. For windows 7/vista users press

Start Menu -> Type 'regedit' -> Press Enter

For Windows XP users

Start Menu -> Run -> Type 'regedit' -> Press Enter

2. In the registry editor naviage to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\

Right click on the WalkingDead101.exe entry and select export. Save this file to a directory on your machine

3. Open the file exported in the previous step in notepad. Replace the line

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe]

With

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe]

Your full file should read something like the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe]
"Language ID"="1033"
"Language"="english"
"Manual"="Manual.pdf"
"ReadMe"="Readme.txt"
"Install Location"="C:\\The Walking Dead\\GameData\\"
"Uninstaller"="C:\\The Walking Dead\\UNINSTALL_WalkingDead101.exe"
"Franchise"="WalkingDead100"
"Distribution"="Telltale"
"Version"="1.0.0.15"
"SaveGameFolderName"="The Walking Dead"

Save your changes and close the file.

4. Double click the file you just edited. When asked "Are you sure you wish to continue?". Select yes.

5. Your done. Start your game as normal.

Method 2

1. Uninstall The Walking Dead. Remove all save games. Make sure the %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games is also deleted.

2. For windows 7/vista users press

Start Menu -> Type 'regedit' -> Press Enter

For Windows XP users

Start Menu -> Run -> Type 'regedit' -> Press Enter

3. In the registry editor naviage to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\

Delete the WalkingDead101.exe entry and ALL its sub keys.

4. Close the registry editor.

5. Re-install the walking dead. Do not launch the game.

6. Reopen the registry editor as outlined in step 2.

7. Navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\

Right click on the WalkingDead101.exe entry and select export. Save this file to a directory on your machine

8. Open the file exported in the previous step in notepad. Replace the line

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe]

With

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe]


Your full file should read something like the following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Telltale Games\WalkingDead101.exe]
"Language ID"="1033"
"Language"="english"
"Manual"="Manual.pdf"
"ReadMe"="Readme.txt"
"Install Location"="C:\\The Walking Dead\\GameData\\"
"Uninstaller"="C:\\The Walking Dead\\UNINSTALL_WalkingDead101.exe"
"Franchise"="WalkingDead100"
"Distribution"="Telltale"
"Version"="1.0.0.15"
"SaveGameFolderName"="The Walking Dead"

Save your changes and close the file.

9. Double click the file you just edited. When asked "Are you sure you wish to continue?". Select yes.

10. Your done. Start your game as normal.

You may be able to re-import old save game backups however I have not tested this approach.

Let me know if this works for you

18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Quick update everyone. I have managed to complete all of chapter 1 and move onto chapter two.

    Before this I was having trouble getting a game to save at any point. I have also done a quick test on a laptop of mine (Vista/64bit). The first install encountered the same problems. Again this was solved with the above.

    Hope it helps

  • Just finished the first episode, no problem! Thank you!

    But what is the logic on that registry modification? Out of curiosity.

  • The reasoning comes from how windows provides access to the registry for 64-bit and 32-bit applications. For 64-bit applications Windows provides registry access as normal. However when a 32-bit application is run windows substitutes the normal registry view for the content of the WOW6432Node. This is to allow for different configurations for 32-bit and 64-bit applications, as well as ensuring that the information is isolated to the correct process.

    Normally this works fine however the problem here arose because the Telltale installer ran as a 64 bit application, while the TWD ran as a 32 bit application. This meant that any registry entries created by the installer were invisible to the actual executing program.

    The normal fix here would be either

    a) Write the registry entries to both the normal registry position and the WOW6432Node.

    b) Have both the installer and executing program use the same bit-level assemblies.

    This could also lead to an explanation of why Telltale are having trouble tracking this issue down. If they are developing and testing on 32-bit machines it will be impossible for them to replicate this issue.

    Hopefully we will see a general purpose patch for this, but, until then this workaround will get you up and running.

  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator

    @tokra100 said: 1. Uninstall The Walking Dead. Remove all save games. Make sure the %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games is also deleted.



    Great guide.
    Shouldn't it be enough to limit the deleting to
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    ?

  • @DjNDB said: Great guide.
    Shouldn't it be enough to limit the deleting to
    %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead
    ?


    Thanks.

    Yes it probably would. When I wrote the original instructions I wanted to make sure that the instructions gave all the information necessary.

    After further tests I found that you only need to do the registry fix. Most save games will appear as expected afterwards. I will edit the original post to have a shorter, initial fix, and then the full one if all else fails.

  • @tokra100 said: The reasoning comes from how windows provides access to the registry for 64-bit and 32-bit applications. For 64-bit applications Windows provides registry access as normal. However when a 32-bit application is run windows substitutes the normal registry view for the content of the WOW6432Node. This is to allow for different configurations for 32-bit and 64-bit applications, as well as ensuring that the information is isolated to the correct process.

    Normally this works fine however the problem here arose because the Telltale installer ran as a 64 bit application, while the TWD ran as a 32 bit application. This meant that any registry entries created by the installer were invisible to the actual executing program.

    The normal fix here would be either

    a) Write the registry entries to both the normal registry position and the WOW6432Node.

    b) Have both the installer and executing program use the same bit-level assemblies.

    This could also lead to an explanation of why Telltale are having trouble tracking this issue down. If they are developing and testing on 32-bit machines it will be impossible for them to replicate this issue.

    Hopefully we will see a general purpose patch for this, but, until then this workaround will get you up and running.



    I see. Thanks!

  • @tokra100 said: Hi All,
    *snip*
    Let me know if this works for you



    Greetings, tokra100!

    You, sir, are a true scholar and a gentleman.
    I will make sure my children write poems honoring Your name!

    With hat-in-hand thanks from Morkev!

  • Thank for the great guide, I hope Telltale pick up on this and update as necessary. :)

  • Thanks for the help. I'll try that and hope it works as I just started the game an hour ago and paused the game only to discover that saves were not working.

    BTW, I am using the Telltale store version and I am running Vista 64bits. I really hope Telltale will quickly fix this...

  • @sebarnolds said: Thanks for the help. I'll try that and hope it works as I just started the game an hour ago and paused the game only to discover that saves were not working.

    BTW, I am using the Telltale store version and I am running Vista 64bits. I really hope Telltale will quickly fix this...



    Hi mate

    This should fix it no problem. However I would have expected some official word from telltale regarding this issue. While the workaround is not particularly complex it is definitely enough to be off-putting to the non-technical gamer (let alone the less technically confident!)

Add Comment