128 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @fenom said: So 2 guys are coming down the road. And they don't exactly look threatening.. They just want some gas and they're offering food in exchange.

Considering the only thing the group was missing - or at least the #1 ergency- was food, sure let's make a deal. BUT

why should anyone from our group leave to go to the farm? You go back to your farm, bring some food and we give you the gas. We don't know these people, maybe there is no farm at all or they have no food. Right there it was a deal breaker and bad news for me. But all the rest of the group was like let's get going.

There should have been more skepticism. The survivors were listening to their stomachs, not their heads.

@fenom said: Kind of reminded me a little of the old people in The Book of Eli too, i figured it out but i didnt realise they were cannibals until i put the wheelbarrow and the bloody room together with Jolene's ramblings.

The St. John Brothers had an answer for everything until the end. The door in the barn was locked to stop bandits (but isn’t the electric fence for that?). The blood wheelbarrow was an accident according to Danny. The bloody room in the barn was slaughtered animals that were killed in the woods.

Jolene sounded crazy and she refused to identify herself when I asked her. She didn’t seem like a good source for information.

@fenom said: Yeah all those questions from the start, like how many in your group, how many guns etc...They could have been curious, but those questions are very personal. If they shared information about themselves in proportion to the information they asked from Lee, I would have felt more comfortable.

@fenom said: I realised immideatily that there was something horribly wrong with them when Andy jumped on me for trying to go to the barn before fixing the perimiter.I fixed the perimeter before approaching the barn, but your experience was a good warning sign.

@fenom said:
    but when Brenda didn't allow me to see Mark I guessed they were cannibals and the whole slaughterhouse in the barn just confirmed it.Brenda’s reason was that Mark was exhausted. That sounded plausible. I got suckered until the end. I should have been more skeptical.

@fenom said: I thought something was off right away with all the help missing. EVERYONE died or left except the family? Seems off.Well, I thought the explanation was the farm hands were either killed or left to return to their families. That made sense.

@fenom said: I was incredibly naive and didn't pick it. I knew something was up (but I didn't clue into them being cannibals until I was heading up the stairs towards the bedroom), but I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt, probably for the following reasons:

- I wasn't suspicious about dinner cause I'd seen all their crops out back and thought we'd just be eating vegetables.
    - I didn't key in to what Jolene was rambling about, just thought she was crazy and I was a bit focused on the crossbow.
    - I didn't notice Danny was sitting by the swing and didn't get to have that creepy conversation with him.
    - Andy's explanation for the bloody tool room seemed like it could have had merit.
    - I haven't read the comics and so I'm not quite conditioned to the "if its too good to be true it isn't nature".

And personally I think that made it better for me. I imagine keying into it alongside Lee felt way creepier and atmospheric than guessing it from the start.I completely agree, except I did talk to Danny about his gun. Odd, but I’ve heard of gun owners naming their weapons.

@fenom said: i think it would have been kinda cool if everything would have made it seem like they were cannibals but in the end they would have only had a normal dinner and mark would have walked in and there would have been an explanation for everything. And then when you think everything's ok you could have let the family do some other non cannibalistic bad stuff.That would be a good idea for future episodes. Suspicious characters turn out to be trustworthy while non-suspicious characters have dark secrets. That will confuse the player about who to trust.

@fenom said: I also noted (and confirmed on my second playthrough) that while Andy claimed he turned the fence on AFTER Mark yelled, in fact Mark was shot after the fence was turned on.That is one of the biggest warning signs. I didn’t Andy’s timing error because the conversation was cut short when the group showed up.

• They were too nice and polite....
    When people act like that... They have done something so bad that even their mom wouldn't forgive.....
    But in this case....
    Their mom was in the same shit.

• @CapnJay said: lol did anyone actually go to dinner without checking on mark?

I didn't !

The opportunity to have that conversation is only when Kenny and Lee have hatched a plan to look into the back of the barn. I saw Larry and Brenda flirting it up and, if I thought anything about it, I thought, "Good, she's distracted, too." I went straight to figuring out the generator and moved right on, not seeing Brenda again until dinner.

I've only seen the first two seasons of The Walking Dead. So, actually, I really thought they were keeping Brenda's husband as a Zombie in a room somewhere. I swallowed the "Mark is resting and I already brought him up dinner" hook, line, and sinker. I didn't try to wash my hands, and I was suspicious, so i zigged upstairs right away. I knew something was behind that door, and for some reason, totally ignored the "Why isn't mark up here?" Or even maybe thought they were feeding him to husband zombie. (I've played through 4 times, so my initial thoughts are pretty fuzzy.)

So, I was totally shocked to see a chopped up mark with no zombie in sight. Then he said not to eat dinner and oh my gosh, I was out of there like lightning to keep Clementine from eating mark.

Cannibalism never crossed my mind.

• I honestly wasn't suspicious until after I met the mother. She creeped me out in all number of ways. I scrutinized the whole farm, looking for any number of reasons to not trust them. The only thing I found suspicious was when I knocked on the door, and talked to Brenda again, and asked her how many rooms the house had - she immediately got defensive (I honestly didn't think it was that weird to ask someone who had offered us to stay with her how many rooms she had).

Andy's comment about hearing us "yell" rang SOME alarm bells, but then I thought it could have been possible that he heard the bandits yelling. At Jolene's camp, Danny seemed honestly relieved that the boxes from the dairy were empty (why?), and also that the camcorder didn't work. Then talking to Jolene, I paid careful attention to her words, and Danny shot her before she could say what she knew the farm family had been doing.

I was definitely not trusting them now. The first thing I did back at the farm was ask to see Mark (was told no). I talked to everyone else that I could, and then snooped around the barn. I found the pile of dirty clothes first. Then I opened the barn door and the first thing I asked after being caught by Andy was "Why is there so much blood in there!". From there it was only natural to continue snooping inside the house, and to try to find Mark.

Now, one of my first thoughts was that they were cutting up people to feed to the bandits (a lot of emphasis was put on the "deal" they made to keep the farm safe). It wasn't until I thought about the "special dinner" comments as I was searching for Mark that made me think that they were cannibals.

• Luckily i was not one of those who guessed it out.
    Allthough i got suspicious when those bandits started rambling about food. And i found the slaughterhouse. But it wasnt until i found Mark that i realized they were cannibals.

• The whole point of the dinner timing problem just seems to be whether or not Clem eats it. You can stop her, but everyone else just chows down. The game continues.

• I think we have some conceited people on here. Im not saying ALL of you are lying but I dont think there was ANY indication of cannibalism at first interaction. The true first indication that something was up for me was a combination of the locked barn door and the way that danny(or was it andy lol) that creepily said "its going to be a good dinner". I had suspiscion when the mom didnt let me see mark but I thought the game didnt want me in the house yet. As for the cannibalism, I didnt realize until the option popped up saying "Its people! people!". I too thought they drugged the food or something. Either way besides that I dont remember any significant indicators. I thought they were nice people. Im actualluy really good with guessing what will happen in movies/ shows/ games (not bragging haha) but this one surprised me actually. So far in Ep 1 and 2 I havnt been able to guess any of the main conflicts. Side note: The games spontaneous-ity reminds me of Red Dead Redemption, which is my favorite game of all time!

• I clocked that there was something up with them the moment I saw Danny, he was clearly designed as a 'creep' as was his mother, so there was very little doubt that they were up to something. I realised it was canabalism when the Crazy Lady mentioned something about dead bodies, and realised it was Mark (i'd actually forgot about him by this point) we were going to eat when the mother said something along the lines of "I assure you he's all right" during a convo on her porch.

I was a little dissapointed that everything was made so obvious tbh, I would have much prefered a true shock reveal.

• @kirby18 said: I think we have some conceited people on here. Im not saying ALL of you are lying but I dont think there was ANY indication of cannibalism at first interaction. The true first indication that something was up for me was a combination of the locked barn door and the way that danny(or was it andy lol) that creepily said "its going to be a good dinner". I had suspiscion when the mom didnt let me see mark but I thought the game didnt want me in the house yet. As for the cannibalism, I didnt realize until the option popped up saying "Its people! people!". I too thought they drugged the food or something. Either way besides that I dont remember any significant indicators. I thought they were nice people. Im actualluy really good with guessing what will happen in movies/ shows/ games (not bragging haha) but this one surprised me actually. So far in Ep 1 and 2 I havnt been able to guess any of the main conflicts. Side note: The games spontaneous-ity reminds me of Red Dead Redemption, which is my favorite game of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0v7CIHI_A&feature=relmfu
    13:50

Even this girl, who isn't all that bright, had it figured by first interaction.
    It's all about being genre savvy. I aspire to be a writer myself some day, I saw this coming a mile a away. They were too nice and together, it's the apocalypse... Take a look at all the Nice Together Simple Folk in this Genre:
    The old couple from the Book of Eli, The people from Andale from Fallout 3, etc.

It was pretty obvious... Who invites desperate, hungry people who pulled guns on you to your Dairy Farm during the Apocalypse? It's like it hasn't registered to these people that the world's ended... That's the biggest red flag there is.

• @Death689God said: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0v7CIHI_A&feature=relmfu
    13:50

Even this girl, who isn't all that bright, had it figured by first interaction.
    It's all about being genre savvy. I aspire to be a writer myself some day, I saw this coming a mile a away. They were too nice and together, it's the apocalypse... Take a look at all the Nice Together Simple Folk in this Genre:
    The old couple from the Book of Eli, The people from Andale from Fallout 3, etc.

It was pretty obvious... Who invites desperate, hungry people who pulled guns on you to your Dairy Farm during the Apocalypse? It's like it hasn't registered to these people that the world's ended... That's the biggest red flag there is.

No i agree with you there I just felt that in case of a zombie apocalypse there may be some, like myself, that would just want to help people out. I dont think its too far of a stretch too seeing as they live on a well defended farm.

Add Comment