User Avatar Image

Bags of Hammers The Duck Support Group

posted by ozzmann on - last edited - Viewed by 831 users

OK its high time Duck gets his own support group! I mean surely I'm not the only one who thinks Duck is awesome and should live..am I?

Duck seems to me like the kind of kid who may be a card short of a full deck but has a heart of gold. I'd like to see Clem take him under her wing so to speak. Clem should protect Duck and teach him things ya know, kinda like a big sister would do!:D

[ATTACH]3071[/ATTACH]

80 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Death689God said: Which is exactly the kind of environment Clementine and Duck are growing up in. Once again, it's the Apocalypse.

Don't mistake me, I'm not saying he has a severe case of it, but I know someone with a mild case and Duck reminds me of this person. And if you're curious, yes, if the Apocalypse came this person would be low on my list of priorities.

Cultural changes do not occur overnight. It has been a mere three months since the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse. Neither Duck nor Clementine were mentally prepared for the end of the world. The best you can hope for is that you can teach them to survive long enough to not need you anymore. Besides, all of your examples as to why Duck should die probably come from episode one, in which there had only been DAYS since the dead began walking, and everyone still held out hope that the Government would be in to help take care of the outbreak soon. By episode two Duck, while still naive, is not shown to be careless in any manner. Naivety is not a trait that you should kill people for, especially children who have an opportunity to grow out of it. Even Clementine exhibits forms of it - not wanting to take the food from the car, for example, or wondering if the St. John's really had to die.

Also, referencing the "short bus" carries the implication that you believe him to be severely impaired, so don't try to make light of the language you use.

• @Death689God said: I wonder if you'd keep that sort of Enthusiasm and Morality if you were actually in that situation... Who knows, maybe you would, Zombie Bait. :p

Better my life than my morals, in any situation.

• Death689God, may I offer you some Prozac or Zoloft? You seem a little on edge brother!:D

• @Sisterofshane said: Cultural changes do not occur overnight. It has been a mere three months since the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse. Neither Duck nor Clementine were mentally prepared for the end of the world. The best you can hope for is that you can teach them to survive long enough to not need you anymore. Besides, all of your examples as to why Duck should die probably come from episode one, in which there had only been DAYS since the dead began walking, and everyone still held out hope that the Government would be in to help take care of the outbreak soon. By episode two Duck, while still naive, is not shown to be careless in any manner. Naivety is not a trait that you should kill people for, especially children who have an opportunity to grow out of it. Even Clementine exhibits forms of it - not wanting to take the food from the car, for example, or wondering if the St. John's really had to die.

Also, referencing the "short bus" carries the implication that you believe him to be severely impaired, so don't try to make light of the language you use.

Only because he didn't have enough chances. He kept eating despite all of the commotion and stress during the dinner, and even if you explicitly say it's Mark you're eating he still will ask his mom what he ate... If he lives long enough to change my mind, fine, but until I see something useful come from him he's at the bottom of my priority list.
    As for Clem-Clem, she's learning... I'm making sure of that.

The short bus comment was more of a simplistic way of stating that I think he's mentally handicapped. Also serves as a bit of Dark Humor about how stupid the kid is.

• @ozzmann said: Death689God, may I offer you some Prozac or Zoloft? You seem a little on edge brother!:D

I live on the edge, my friend, I live on it. :cool:

• @Merc said: Better my life than my morals, in any situation.

Depends on the moral, if you ask me.

For example, my moral that children come first. If I have to die to save Clem or Duck, so be it. If it's between saving them or an older member of the group, I will go for them.

• @Sisterofshane said: Depends on the moral, if you ask me.

For example, my moral that children come first. If I have to die to save Clem or Duck, so be it. If it's between saving them or an older member of the group, I will go for them.

Honestly the only Morals I'm keeping are: Honesty, Honor, and Don't Rape.
    Can't imagine much else I wouldn't be down for by the time of Apocalypse.

• @Death689God said: Honestly the only Morals I'm keeping are: Honesty, Honor, and Don't Rape.
    Can't imagine much else I wouldn't be down for by the time of Apocalypse.

Honor, yet he talks about kicking out kids with Aspergers. :p

• @Death689God said: Only because he didn't have enough chances. He kept eating despite all of the commotion and stress during the dinner, and even if you explicitly say it's Mark you're eating he still will ask his mom what he ate... If he lives long enough to change my mind, fine, but until I see something useful come from him he's at the bottom of my priority list.
    As for Clem-Clem, she's learning... I'm making sure of that.

The short bus comment was more of a simplistic way of stating that I think he's mentally handicapped. Also serves as a bit of Dark Humor about how stupid the kid is.

Dark humor isn't really how I'd approach the topic of discussing if a child deserves to live or not.

Also, your decision is dependent upon the observation that Duck will most likely do something to get YOU killed. He doesn't do anything in either episode one or two to suggest that YOU are in any danger from him. Pointing out that he is not as observant as everyone does nothing to prove to me that he is a "danger" to anyone but himself - the only exception being on Herschel's farm, but that was before you were capable of noting his competence. Nobody is asking you to trust your life to Duck, but I think you are being unreasonable in assuming that having him dead up's your chances of living (besides, the kid may end up saving your life - you don't know if he could, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't should the time ever arise).

The potential to threaten your survival lies with everyone in the group. If you truly feel it is all about "number one and that one is me", then I suggest you try to survive on your own. You might feel better that way.

• @Sisterofshane said: Dark humor isn't really how I'd approach the topic of discussing if a child deserves to live or not.

Also, your decision is dependent upon the observation that Duck will most likely do something to get YOU killed. He doesn't do anything in either episode one or two to suggest that YOU are in any danger from him. Pointing out that he is not as observant as everyone does nothing to prove to me that he is a "danger" to anyone but himself - the only exception being on Herschel's farm, but that was before you were capable of noting his competence. Nobody is asking you to trust your life to Duck, but I think you are being unreasonable in assuming that having him dead up's your chances of living (besides, the kid may end up saving your life - you don't know if he could, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't should the time ever arise).

The potential to threaten your survival lies with everyone in the group. If you truly feel it is all about "number one and that one is me", then I suggest you try to survive on your own. You might feel better that way.

Considering the character is a Game Character, I don't see the issue. I thought blowing Tenpenny of his tower with a land mine in Fallout 3 was hilarious. (Bastard had it coming more than Duck of course.)

It's not me first, it's Clementine First, then the Group. While, yes, the Potential threat is in all of them, this contributes to my priority list. But while others, such as Kenny, Lilly, (formerly)Larry, etc, pose a potential risk... They still have uses. (Even Larry DOES try to save you if you give him the Axe, despite all of the BS) Kenny went Hunting, Lilly's holding down the Fort like it's Nox. But Duck just eats, poops, sleeps, and gets people pinned under tractors. (So far). If that changes, sure, I'll relent to you that your point was valid and that I was too cruel to the kid...
    But that remains to be seen.

I get that, as a woman, you're more inclined to protect Duck despite his uselessness. But as a Man, I'm more inclined to keep the group safe for the sake of my own. (In this case Clem-Clem. I play my Canon (First play through) Lee as if he'd have opted out w/o Clem to take care of.)

Add Comment