User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 6.8K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • that's the same they said after EP1. Now after EP2 it's still the same. that's 40% of the game already passed without any decisions making any impact on the game. Do you really believe that it will change in the next episodes??

• @trd84 said: They should have let us try to save him and him turn. that would at least seem like the choice mattered, and given a real reason for kenny to be so upset.

I think they were looking to create a situation with Kenny and his character, however. So many of us trusted him (at least marginally) after the first episode, I thought it was a good shocking moment that really made some people re-evaluate their first impression of him. (Some people take it too far though). Besides, Kenny made it clear that Larry turning into a walker was game over.

I don't think there really was a better way to write that scene - not in a way that didn't fundamentally change what direction they wanted the character's to go. It would have been nice though, to have Kenny be remorseful instead of pissy.

• @Sisterofshane said: I think they were looking to create a situation with Kenny and his character, however. So many of us trusted him (at least marginally) after the first episode, I thought it was a good shocking moment that really made some people re-evaluate their first impression of him. (Some people take it too far though). Besides, Kenny made it clear that Larry turning into a walker was game over.

I don't think there really was a better way to write that scene - not in a way that didn't fundamentally change what direction they wanted the character's to go. It would have been nice though, to have Kenny be remorseful instead of pissy.

I disagree having him turn would have made your choice more important than just having someone mad at you. It would have provided two outcomes but still not have strayed too far off track from the story. Having his head smashed either way just reinforces that your choices haven't had much of an impact. And you still would have either kenny or lilly mad at you for the choice you made.

Like Irene in EP 1 she shoots herself no matter what. Walking away from a woman crying for mercy would have worked very good, but your choice ultimately doesn't matter except for Glenn not agreeing.

There have been things they could have done to make your choices seem more important with out actually causing the story to vary a lot.

If you don't want to build the swing, it gets built anyway. If you chose to save Shaun then why make him die the same way instantly, why not just have him get bit but still be alive when you leave the farm, he would have still died. I think Herschel still would have kicked us out.

• the choices dont seem to matter as in changing the game decisions, it changes some ways that people see you, so there IS a best choice, (spoilers)

save duck is obviously the best choice (makes kenny owe you)

siding with kenny over larry is the best choice because you cant kill duck

trusting the reporter is best cause if you dont save her who cares, and if you do save her she likes you more

chopping or not chopping off leg is the same (for now)

giving food to the kids and larry makes larry/daughter like you more and kenny like you for feeding his kid

saying larry is just looking out for his daughter makes larry/daughter like you more

trying to save larry makes daughter like you (and i really dont se how kenny can hold it against you as you save his family a million times)

i may have missed a few but you can make the best choice in terms of how much people like you, and we will find out for the others in later episodes

i do wish things would make an impact on the actual game like its annoying that if you save doug he saves you from one of the brothers, refuses the food and fixes the camcorder, but if you save reporter she saves you from one of the brothers, refuses the food and fixes the camcorder, did i say "but" i meant and in exactly the same way.
    it could have been that doug would eat the food not save you and fix the camcorder but reporter would refuse the food save you but be clueless about the camcorder (Still the same but MORE different)

• Let's not forget that part of the appeal of this game is discussing how you approached the major decisions in the game and discussing the reasoning behind those who chose an alternative option.

If the story diverged massively you would lose a lot of that. You see a discussion about what you did in the meat locker but can't contribute as you chose not to go to the dairy and ended up doing something else etc. I'd rather the game have 1 really tight story, with tough well thought out choices and differing relationships, than several branching stories.

Not only that but the more the story branches the more you would feel the need to replay and the less ownership you would end up feeling for your own story.

• @PeopleSandwich said: Let's not forget that part of the appeal of this game is discussing how you approached the major decisions in the game and discussing the reasoning behind those who chose an alternative option.

If the story diverged massively you would lose a lot of that. You see a discussion about what you did in the meat locker but can't contribute as you chose not to go to the dairy and ended up doing something else etc. I'd rather the game have 1 really tight story, with tough well thought out choices and differing relationships, than several branching stories.

Not only that but the more the story branches the more you would feel the need to replay and the less ownership you would end up feeling for your own story.

i know what you are saying about ownership because i have one save where i use my own moral compass (the save i own) but the others are based on choosing differently and having a distinct attitude (not owned as much) but isnt the point of a game with multiple choices to have multiple playthroughs?
    and also the main appeal (apart from teltale, walking dead and zombies) was multiple stories that are tailored to suit my playstyles (discussing my choices never entered my mind)

also it isnt a choice if the outcome is the same, its like choosing the bullet that will kill you, you may have an interesting back story of why you choose the 3rd bullet on the left, but if they are all in perfect working condition and identical it doesn't matter which one you choose.

• @Sisterofshane said: It's matter of practicality, if you ask me. You can't have a game that branches off wildly during every single episode. There are so many things you would have to account for that if you did, the game would be MASSIVE to hold that much information.

You are way exaggerating. I don't ask for every choice I make to completely change the game but I would like some impact. Maybe to change a scene or alter something. As of now,nothing you do will ever change anything. Even the "relations" with people are irrelevant. If you mess up with someone next time instead of "Hello!" that person might say, "Fuck you!" but all further exchange of phrases will continue as if nothing ever happened.
    I have replayed plenty and tested pretty much everything. Compared actions/results as well as siding with different people to compare results and how they act later. Hint: absolutely NOTHING changes.

• It seems in these episodes there is one defining choice that will change your story (Doug and Carly, Lilly or Kenny), and a few other smaller plot effecting ones (Killing Danny and Andy for example).

It would be difficult and time consuming to write so many different plotlines, but i am hoping that my story will be VERY different from my friend's one when the season is done.

Add Comment