User Avatar Image

Meat Locker Dilemma

posted by Gregory2012 on - last edited - Viewed by 2.4K users

I, like most players, initially sided with Lilly in trying to resuscitate Larry. In retrospect, I may have made the wrong call.

Initially, I understood Kenny’s concern about zombie Larry, but back at the motor inn, the injured body brought in did not turn undead until several minutes later. I thought I had time to save Larry. If I couldn’t save him in say, two minutes, then I would advocate using the salt lick to crush his skull, but Kenny made a rushed judgment.

However, I may have been wrong. The injured body was being treated by Katjaa. She could have prolonged the person’s life. So instead of minutes of trying to resuscitate Larry, I could have had only seconds.

I thought if Larry turned zombie that we would notice, but when Katjaa was attacked, she didn’t say afterward that the skin around his eyeballs suddenly darkened, so he looked undead. The injured body became undead without Katjaa noticing despite her close examination of him.

Assume for the sake of argument, that the injured body, was untreated by Katjaa, and became undead in two minutes.

Does that mean everyone becomes undead in two minutes? Not necessarily. That could be the minimum time or maximum time for the dead-to-undead process to occur. You don’t know. With that uncertainty, do you risk trying to resuscitate Larry? I reluctantly conclude Kenny made the right decision.

I could still be wrong because I am overlooking an important factor. If so, tell me.

Two unrelated points:

1. I will play the campaign with my initial decision of siding with Lilly.

2. Kenny is hard to please. I redid Episode 1 and Episode 2 to closer ally myself with Kenny, except for the meat locker dilemma. I helped rescue Duck, sided with Kenny in the pharmacy, gave Duck a snack, supported Kenny’s boat plan, fed both Duck and Kenny at the motor inn, and mostly agreed with him on everything else, except the argument about Lilly being a dictator (that was exaggerated and I think she was right about being called a Nazi when survival became tougher). When walking to the abandoned car, I gave him the gentlest response: he fractured the group. Despite my near constant agreement with him, in the Long Road Ahead preview, he says I never listened to him. I don’t hate Kenny, but if all my prior support isn’t reciprocated in Episode 3, I may dump him as an ally.

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • i'd help Larry even if he was a complete asshole to me simply because he's an extra pair of hands that our group can use and he's Lily's safety blanket

  • on my first try i went straight for the salt block and smashed his head in, i had no reason to doubt school boy and i believe we are all infected, plus i figured larry wanted to kill me as soon as possible so i had to kill him first, so an actual legitimate excuse of him being dead and he will return to be the walking dead with me, clementine, kenny and lilly locked in a room was what i was looking for, and him being a 400lb zombie that earlier knocked me and kenny out, and that was when he was and old man with a heart problem let alone a relentless undead monster, i couldnt risk the chance that you turned the second you die so resuscitation would not be an option especially mouth to mouth with a zombie.
    on my second playthrough i thought i might get a cool zombie fight or save him so i tryed to help and was actually shocked when kenny killed him.

    P.S also i dont think larry would want to kill lilly so if he was telepathic (in my opinion) would have told me he wanted to die rather than kill lilly

  • There are a lot of ifs and buts, its true.

    But the bottm line is Larry is a human till proven zombie, we could have held him down till he turned. Kenny murdered Larry as far as im concerned.

  • @TheWaltzingBread said: There are a lot of ifs and buts, its true.

    But the bottm line is Larry is a human till proven zombie, we could have held him down till he turned. Kenny murdered Larry as far as im concerned.



    where is this court of zombie, where it is human until proven zombie

    its zombie until proven human, if you are bit or dead you need your brain removing instantly

  • Kenny didn't even give us chance to save Larry. Even if he became a zombie it would be easy to kill him before he gets up. Fact is Larry could still be alive if Kenny/Lee waited a bit longer

  • @adam86shadow said: Kenny didn't even give us chance to save Larry. Even if he became a zombie it would be easy to kill him before he gets up. Fact is Larry could still be alive if Kenny/Lee waited a bit longer



    In your version. Not in mine. In mine, Larry becoming a walker would have been bad news for the group (which includes Clementine) so we took him out before it could happen. The End... Of Larry anyway :)

  • @adam86shadow said: Kenny didn't even give us chance to save Larry. Even if he became a zombie it would be easy to kill him before he gets up. Fact is Larry could still be alive if Kenny/Lee waited a bit longer



    Larry as a zombie would have been impossible to control and would have probably bitten someone before being awkwardly put down with the lack of weapons. They make a point to establish that even a tiny zombie is hard to control by three people - go back to the truck encounter, raise the DC by 10 and unequip everyone. That's what would have happened.

  • I think both choices are valid options in that kind of situation.

    But I choose also to help Lily. Why?

    #1 Because as some here already stated, Larry wasn't dead/zombified yet, so there could have been a chance to still safe him.. and as tiny as this chance may be, I at least would always help and try safe him.

    #2 Just as Rick Grimes in the TV-Series said to Daryl: "We don't kill the Living." And Larry, not yet zombified, does count for me still as a human I could save through CPR. As simple as that.

    And I give a rats ass about all these ifs and whats in regards of Larry beeing revived as a walker and the problems you (Lee), Kenny, Clementine and Lily would have to face. Because, the game/story isn't programmed to go that way. If it actually were like that, you try helping Larry, Kenny doesn't throw the saltblock on his face, Larry revives as a walker and bites someone else in the aftermath... TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY. I would probably instantly play that chapter again and choose otherwise.

    But, as amusing as this discussion is, what bothered me the most was the fact that Clementine had to see all of this. With her reaction afterwards I was so furious I seriously wanted to slap Kenny around a bit (so kudos to the Devs for making the game so emotional).

  • @Walker#1 said: And I give a rats ass about all these ifs and whats in regards of Larry beeing revived as a walker and the problems you (Lee), Kenny, Clementine and Lily would have to face. Because, the game/story isn't programmed to go that way. If it actually were like that, you try helping Larry, Kenny doesn't throw the saltblock on his face, Larry revives as a walker and bites someone else in the aftermath... TOTALLY DIFFERENT STORY. I would probably instantly play that chapter again and choose otherwise.

    But, as amusing as this discussion is, what bothered me the most was the fact that Clementine had to see all of this. With her reaction afterwards I was so furious I seriously wanted to slap Kenny around a bit (so kudos to the Devs for making the game so emotional).



    So.. You're reasoning for choosing to help Larry is because the game isn't programmed that way lol, and if it was you would start over?? Seriously? I'm playing the game through on my initial reactions and not making decisions with thoughts of "starting over". So, Larry has a chance of turning into a walker then he's done. In other words, in my game the "what if's" that you mentioned are very important.

  • @jaybreezy said: So.. You're reasoning for choosing to help Larry is because the game isn't programmed that way lol, and if it was you would start over?? Seriously? I'm playing the game through on my initial reactions and not making decisions with thoughts of "starting over". So, Larry has a chance of turning into a walker then he's done. In other words, in my game the "what if's" that you mentioned are very important.



    I couldn't do that... My Lee was siding with Lilly and becoming more and more estranged from Kenny. Plus what she tells you when you talk to her about her dad (before opening the barn)... And losing Mark... My Lee wasn't about to lose another one of His Own if he could help it. He's basically decided at this point that "We don't kill our own". Larry was an Asshole, sure, but they had been living together for 3 months and my Lee understood why he was such an ass.
    How could Kenny just smash in the guys head, he's been with him for 3 Months. Yeah, Larry tries to kill you the first day he met you. but my Lee gave him the Axe and he did try to save Lee with it. (Being an Ass the entire way, but still.)... If even Larry won't stand by and watch Lee die, what kind of a man does Kenny have to be to jump the gun on killing Larry?
    Lee gets the need for it, but to do that in front of Lilly and Clem... Without even letting enough time pass for more than 5 attempts (Technically 4, the 5th is postmortem no matter how fast you are.)... That, with the fact he ran over people in the initial outbreak, left Shane to die, and all of his other cowardly acts...

    My Lee can't trust him anymore, hell My Lee is starting to wonder if the REAL reason Kenny smashed Larry's head in was because of him wanting to toss Duck out.

Add Comment