User Avatar Image

So, how are you raising Clementine? [Spoilers]

posted by BlackmesaExp on - last edited - Viewed by 2.2K users

I didn't see a thread that asked this question, so I now ask it myself...

Personally, I'm going for a über-good Clem, who has an excellent moral compass, and who sees my Lee as someone that never steals or jabs people with pitchforks - admittedly, that means she's not very pragmatic, but at least I'm not a monster in her eyes.

I changed my mind after doing some thinking (that thinking being influenced by some of the posts here) and rerolled my game completely - ultimately, the only changes that affected Clem was my choice to steal from the car. It hurt to do it but I decided that she needs to learn that survival comes before anything else. However I also tried to instill in her other good values - I spared the brothers, tried to save Larry, etc...

So, basically, what choices did you make concerning Clem/when she was present? Also, what word did you teach her in the barn? I taught her manure, like a responsible father-figure (with a badass voice) :D

160 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Episode 2 settled it. No more bubble around Clem.
    I promised Clementine to protect her from the dangerous ones, zombies and humans. And so i did. I kept my promised and whacked both brothers, in addition i made sure they would not get away and come back to kill us later.
    And i will continue to do so.
    But of course, give people a chanse, dont kill on sight.
    And dont steal if you know something belongs to someone else.
    The abandoned car? We took it all. We needed it. We could have left a note for the people who owned the car, but that wasnt an option.

• I thought I would try and shut out the zombies, but the saint johns convinced me the people left behind are not much better than the walkers.

But i still wanted to raise her up to be nice and keep her humanity, so i left the saint johns to be eaten and didnt steal from the car. Things should only be taken if the owners are dead. I wouldnt be able to live with the guilt after taking the possesions from the car.

• It seems that both of you originally put a bubble around Clementine to block out the bad stuff (well, from what Lars says I assume he did) and then later burst that bubble after encountering Danny and Andy. Was the change sudden, a quick descision to harden Clem in regards to the horrors of the world, or was it more gradual, with you slowly doubting in your method or choices with her? I'm sorry if this is annoying, but I'm curious as to people's motives...

• Being 100% honest with Clem is paramount to me. The world may go to shit at any given moment, but at least she can always completely trust me and everything I tell her, even if it's a grim truth.

I'm trying to strike a balance between practical survival and morality in making tough decisions, which we all know isn't easy. To that end, so far I didn't shoot the crazy lady, tried to save Larry, killed both the brothers and reluctantly looted the car.

I think Colonel Kurtz summed it up best in 'Apocalypse Now';

"In a war there are many moments for compassion and tender action. There are many moments for ruthless action - what is often called ruthless - what may in many circumstances be only clarity, seeing clearly what there is to be done and doing it, directly, quickly, awake, looking at it."

Also, I taught Clem to say "shit" in the barn on my first playthrough and immediately regretted it. :D On my second playthrough I taught her "manure" instead. Hey, I'm still new to this whole 'parental relationship' thing too!

• sort of a mix of pragmatic and bubble

if i can avoid killing in front of her i do but as in the case of larry i only kill if it is the only choice open..

also i am honest with her and if she doesn't like stuff lee does i reason with her and justify lee actions like stealing from the car..

• I've taken the approach of protecting her, trying to give her some hope and setting an example, in that order. When it came to the food in the car I was never going to let her go hungry at the cost of my principles.

• I get this sinking feeling that...
    A lot of peoples Clem-Clem's are gonna die in episode 5.
    Think about it people, this isn't the kind of game to let you have your Cake and Eat it Too.

(I chose Pragmatic/Tough Survivor)

• @Death689God said: I get this sinking feeling that...
    A lot of peoples Clem-Clem's are gonna die in episode 5.
    Think about it people, this isn't the kind of game to let you have your Cake and Eat it Too.

(I chose Pragmatic/Tough Survivor)

So, you think it'll be a case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (to warp a folk saying) ?
    If that does go down, TellTale will most likely get slammed and grown men and women will weep in the street - particularily those Knights...

• yes but we will then march on the ttg offices and demand a 'dream sequence' to revive our queen and if not the path we must take to save her if it exists...

• @BlackmesaExp said: So, you think it'll be a case of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (to warp a folk saying) ?
    If that does go down, TellTale will most likely get slammed and grown men and women will weep in the street - particularily those Knights...

@BlackmesaExp said: yes but we will then march on the ttg offices and demand a 'dream sequence' to revive our queen and if not the path we must take to save her if it exists...

Well then, maybe those Knights should have raised her to be a survivor. It's what a true Knight does: Everything to protect the crown.
    Even if it means being cold, direct, and pragmatic. If they can't handle the tough love approach, then they should drop their arms.

(I can't believe I just indulged this sick in joke. XD)

Add Comment