User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 8.2K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @TheWaltzingBread said: It seems in these episodes there is one defining choice that will change your story (Doug and Carly, Lilly or Kenny), and a few other smaller plot effecting ones (Killing Danny and Andy for example).

It would be difficult and time consuming to write so many different plotlines, but i am hoping that my story will be VERY different from my friend's one when the season is done.

We can only hope.

I understand fully why it can't be all out unique.

But it's just a little "meh" to see in ep. 2 Doug and Carley pretty much doing the exact same thing. Doug just used a laser pointer and Carley used a gun. It had the same effect.

It's all very..vanilla.

• @PeopleSandwich said:
    If the story diverged massively you would lose a lot of that. You see a discussion about what you did in the meat locker but can't contribute as you chose not to go to the dairy and ended up doing something else etc. I'd rather the game have 1 really tight story, with tough well thought out choices and differing relationships, than several branching stories.

Not only that but the more the story branches the more you would feel the need to replay and the less ownership you would end up feeling for your own story.

The story doesn't have to branch much to make it seem like your choices matter, which is a selling point of the game. the way they do it gives the game much less replay value, the more you play it the more you realize your choices doesn't matter.

And for a game that has only 2 hours of gameplay for 2 months it could use a little more replay vale.

• @The_Cheshire_Cat said:
    But it's just a little "meh" to see in ep. 2 Doug and Carley pretty much doing the exact same thing. Doug just used a laser pointer and Carley used a gun. It had the same effect.

It's all very..vanilla.

I don't like that example very much, but it was the second episode - the first time your first choice came up in the events of the game. I doubt Doug and Carley's actions will strongly deviate from one another, at least until the end when radical changes can happen and not really change the future of the game.

• The decisions you have to make don't matter enough imho in terms of how the game continues.
    Example: I rescued the girl (flame me but I forgot her name right now) over the boy, cause she had the gun, so I thought I rather have that protection.

But as it turns out, you get rescued in Episode 2 by either of them. There is no big difference in how the story continues.

I think those decisions should matter much more. For example, if you rescue the boy over the chick, you should have to fight the brother instead of him getting shot or lasered.

Just my 5 coins.

• Yeah the only thing i hate more than "no choices" in a game, is the "illusion of choice", where if you go back and try something else, nothing really changes, some people still hate you even if you saved him or whatever.

The whole choice thing seems good and solid if you only play Walking dead one time!. when you try it again you see all the cracks and the illusions.

What choices should mean in this game, is that almost everyone would end up with a different combinations of survivors at the end of the series. That would be freaking awesome.

• Do you know what size these episodic games are? Do you know what kind of games Telltale has made up to this? Yes, we all want a game where every choice spirals into completely separate plotlines, but it's not feasible at this time with this company with their releases being what they are now.

Either enjoy what's currently possible or play Heavy Rain.

• It's what "cinematic experiences" are all about. Voice acting doesn't come cheap and these limitations pretty much come with the territory. What TTG is doing is pretty much on par with every other such game and they're pulling it off at a fraction of the price.

You're basically paying for 2 hour movies with a bit of replay value at five bucks each, just enjoy the ride.

• I agree that the your choices don't change the plot too much, but the things you say sure do change how the characters talk and treat you. I remember watching my brother play through and certain people were MUCH more hostile towards him, and it was realistic because of how he was playing.

There's still 3 episodes left people! I'm sure there's some choices we've made that have not fully played out yet. You COULD say it's an illusion of choice, but this game is supposed to have a strong narrative, that forces you to make strong MORAL choices. ie, You can't save Larry either way, but I bet whoever you sided with will carry over strongly in the next episode (besides Kenny just being a dick to you if you didn't side with him.)

As for the Carly/Doug thing, I was expecting them to get killed off in the second episode. You've got to at least credit Tell Tale for not taking the easy way out in that regard.

• @Dildor said: I agree that the your choices don't change the plot too much, but the things you say sure do change how the characters talk and treat you. I remember watching my brother play through and certain people were MUCH more hostile towards him, and it was realistic because of how he was playing.

There's still 3 episodes left people! I'm sure there's some choices we've made that have not fully played out yet. You COULD say it's an illusion of choice, but this game is supposed to have a strong narrative, that forces you to make strong MORAL choices. ie, You can't save Larry either way, but I bet whoever you sided with will carry over strongly in the next episode (besides Kenny just being a dick to you if you didn't side with him.)

As for the Carly/Doug thing, I was expecting them to get killed off in the second episode. You've got to at least credit Tell Tale for not taking the easy way out in that regard.

Yep. But I am expecting them to die in the next episode. I get the feeling that not many people will last the whole game

• @RMJ1984 said: Yeah the only thing i hate more than "no choices" in a game, is the "illusion of choice", where if you go back and try something else, nothing really changes, some people still hate you even if you saved him or whatever.

The whole choice thing seems good and solid if you only play Walking dead one time!. when you try it again you see all the cracks and the illusions.

What choices should mean in this game, is that almost everyone would end up with a different combinations of survivors at the end of the series. That would be freaking awesome.

i agree the illusion of choice is worse than no choice, things had better add up to at least a different ending (peoples opinions of you don't count) else it would leave me feeling very disappointed (unlike a normal point and click adventure where you know there is no choices just puzzles) and i would probably recommend people don't buy it just watch it on youtube it wont be any different from playing it ultimately.

but if the ending/game was truly my own story (not totally unique i know thousand of people would have made the same choices as me) i would tell everyone to buy it

Add Comment