User Avatar Image

So, how are you raising Clementine? [Spoilers]

posted by BlackmesaExp on - last edited - Viewed by 3.3K users

I didn't see a thread that asked this question, so I now ask it myself...

Personally, I'm going for a über-good Clem, who has an excellent moral compass, and who sees my Lee as someone that never steals or jabs people with pitchforks - admittedly, that means she's not very pragmatic, but at least I'm not a monster in her eyes.

I changed my mind after doing some thinking (that thinking being influenced by some of the posts here) and rerolled my game completely - ultimately, the only changes that affected Clem was my choice to steal from the car. It hurt to do it but I decided that she needs to learn that survival comes before anything else. However I also tried to instill in her other good values - I spared the brothers, tried to save Larry, etc...

So, basically, what choices did you make concerning Clem/when she was present? Also, what word did you teach her in the barn? I taught her manure, like a responsible father-figure (with a badass voice) :D

160 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Rommel49 said: In fairness, I don't see moral/pragmatic as necessarily being mutually exclusive, except in certain scenarios (e.g. the decision to steal from the car or not, in which case morals lose). Understanding right/wrong is likely to be important if she needs to integrate herself into a "good" group of fellow survivors, i.e. a group that doesn't rape or shoot eat other in the face (bandits, I'm looking at you).

I'd best describe my instruction as "do whatever you need to stay alive, then whatever you can to be decent". But, like I said, first indication the waters are getting muddied in that regard, morals are getting dropped from the curriculum.

The only real option I see being unworkable is the "bubble" option. It's no longer really feasible to try and pretend the world hasn't gone to hell (particularly after Ep. 2), and it leaves her woefully unprepared for life going forward, especially when/if Lee's gone.

Bandits are the Ruthless Option, Pragmatic is the Surviving Option, Morals are the Kill Me Please option. (Morals = Don't kill the Brothers, don't steal the food, Etc*soon to come in ep 3?)

• @Death689God said: Bandits are the Ruthless Option, Pragmatic is the Surviving Option, Morals are the Kill Me Please option. (Morals = Don't kill the Brothers, don't steal the food, Etc*soon to come in ep 3?)

That sums it up, although "Kill Me Please" may be a little too harsh...

I'll update the thread with my new choices come Ep 3 (even if I have to necropost) .

• @Death689God said: Bandits are the Ruthless Option, Pragmatic is the Surviving Option, Morals are the Kill Me Please option. (Morals = Don't kill the Brothers, don't steal the food, Etc*soon to come in ep 3?)

Well, not killing the brothers can be seen as pragmatic as I covered on the first page. Granted, the game seems to treat it as a strictly moral choice (unfortunately), but like I said, I kinda figured that given all the commotion and shooting that the place would have more than its fair share of Walkers anyway (plus, it wasn't that long ago that there were bandits in the area too), so sticking around just for the sake of comeuppance seemed like a bad idea. Discretion's the better part of valor, and all that.

• @Rommel49 said: Well, not killing the brothers can be seen as pragmatic as I covered on the first page. Granted, the game seems to treat it as a strictly moral choice (unfortunately), but like I said, I kinda figured that given all the commotion and shooting that the place would have more than its fair share of Walkers anyway (plus, it wasn't that long ago that there were bandits in the area too), so sticking around just for the sake of comeuppance seemed like a bad idea. Discretion's the better part of valor, and all that.

Would you say that killing them would psychologically alter Clem in some way?

• a cursing murdering stealing clem would be an interesting potential character by lees decisions. i honestly think Clem should curse again and let it be up to lee to stop her or not because even if you didn't say shit in the barn she's heard a good amount of profanity [during walker attacks and such]i believe although i might be wrong

• @CapnJay said: a cursing murdering stealing clem would be an interesting potential character by lees decisions. i honestly think Clem should curse again and let it be up to lee to stop her or not because even if you didn't say shit in the barn she's heard a good amount of profanity [during walker attacks and such]i believe although i might be wrong

We already have kids grown up to be lying, murdering, and cursing in the comics.(6-8 years old!) I feel that Clem should retain her innocence. However, if something like that were to happen, Lee should have the option to stop her.

• @CapnJay said: a cursing murdering stealing clem would be an interesting potential character by lees decisions. i honestly think Clem should curse again and let it be up to lee to stop her or not because even if you didn't say shit in the barn she's heard a good amount of profanity [during walker attacks and such]i believe although i might be wrong

I think that's quite likely, and that if she does swear Lee could condone, admonish or encourage it. What about alcoholism or an addiction to something? Although they couldn't go too far, I suppose, due to law...

For some reason I imagine an option where Lee "bitchslaps" Clem (to use the term appropriate to my age group) for that behaviour and a random walker in the background defies convention and breaks the fourth wall by shouting "Child abuse in a video game! Help!" just before it is noticed and killed by someone wearing a TTG shirt. :D

• nah lee wouldn't do slap her although duck might.

Also clem being an alcoholic or addict would be challenging considering most of the dealers are walkers and alcohol makes your skills sloppy.

Add Comment