User Avatar Image

Meat Locker Dilemma

posted by Gregory2012 on - last edited - Viewed by 4.1K users

I, like most players, initially sided with Lilly in trying to resuscitate Larry. In retrospect, I may have made the wrong call.

Initially, I understood Kenny’s concern about zombie Larry, but back at the motor inn, the injured body brought in did not turn undead until several minutes later. I thought I had time to save Larry. If I couldn’t save him in say, two minutes, then I would advocate using the salt lick to crush his skull, but Kenny made a rushed judgment.

However, I may have been wrong. The injured body was being treated by Katjaa. She could have prolonged the person’s life. So instead of minutes of trying to resuscitate Larry, I could have had only seconds.

I thought if Larry turned zombie that we would notice, but when Katjaa was attacked, she didn’t say afterward that the skin around his eyeballs suddenly darkened, so he looked undead. The injured body became undead without Katjaa noticing despite her close examination of him.

Assume for the sake of argument, that the injured body, was untreated by Katjaa, and became undead in two minutes.

Does that mean everyone becomes undead in two minutes? Not necessarily. That could be the minimum time or maximum time for the dead-to-undead process to occur. You don’t know. With that uncertainty, do you risk trying to resuscitate Larry? I reluctantly conclude Kenny made the right decision.

I could still be wrong because I am overlooking an important factor. If so, tell me.

Two unrelated points:

1. I will play the campaign with my initial decision of siding with Lilly.

2. Kenny is hard to please. I redid Episode 1 and Episode 2 to closer ally myself with Kenny, except for the meat locker dilemma. I helped rescue Duck, sided with Kenny in the pharmacy, gave Duck a snack, supported Kenny’s boat plan, fed both Duck and Kenny at the motor inn, and mostly agreed with him on everything else, except the argument about Lilly being a dictator (that was exaggerated and I think she was right about being called a Nazi when survival became tougher). When walking to the abandoned car, I gave him the gentlest response: he fractured the group. Despite my near constant agreement with him, in the Long Road Ahead preview, he says I never listened to him. I don’t hate Kenny, but if all my prior support isn’t reciprocated in Episode 3, I may dump him as an ally.

106 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @Death689God said: I couldn't do that... My Lee was siding with Lilly and becoming more and more estranged from Kenny. Plus what she tells you when you talk to her about her dad (before opening the barn)... And losing Mark... My Lee wasn't about to lose another one of His Own if he could help it. He's basically decided at this point that "We don't kill our own". Larry was an Asshole, sure, but they had been living together for 3 months and my Lee understood why he was such an ass.
    How could Kenny just smash in the guys head, he's been with him for 3 Months. Yeah, Larry tries to kill you the first day he met you. but my Lee gave him the Axe and he did try to save Lee with it. (Being an Ass the entire way, but still.)... If even Larry won't stand by and watch Lee die, what kind of a man does Kenny have to be to jump the gun on killing Larry?
    Lee gets the need for it, but to do that in front of Lilly and Clem... Without even letting enough time pass for more than 5 attempts (Technically 4, the 5th is postmortem no matter how fast you are.)... That, with the fact he ran over people in the initial outbreak, left Shane to die, and all of his other cowardly acts...

My Lee can't trust him anymore, hell My Lee is starting to wonder if the REAL reason Kenny smashed Larry's head in was because of him wanting to toss Duck out.

I tend to agree. In that scenario, I would've insisted that at a minimum, Lilly use her belt as a restraint as a just in case safety precaution if Larry did start to reanimate, between that and the people in the room the situation would've been relatively safe and manageable. If nothing else, theoretically, you still need to live with these people and try to maintain some degree of trust so you don't end up as a friendly fire "accident" or what have you - prematurely killing her last remaining family member without even making the attempt hardly seemed like the way to accomplish that (especially since she's the last remaining member of the group with any combat training, etc.)

Between the two, being on good terms with Lilly strikes me as the better option than Kenny. She's been far more predictable and stable, in short, she's more reliable.

I also question Kenny's motivation for doing the deed myself. I'm of the view that he saw time spent on trying to save Larry as time that wasn't being spent on getting out and saving his family, so the old guy had to go. He was pretty clearly impatient from the meat locker onward.

• @jaybreezy said: So.. You're reasoning for choosing to help Larry is because the game isn't programmed that way lol, and if it was you would start over?? Seriously? I'm playing the game through on my initial reactions and not making decisions with thoughts of "starting over". So, Larry has a chance of turning into a walker then he's done. In other words, in my game the "what if's" that you mentioned are very important.

Have you read my whole posting or just the the bottom half? I too play the game through my initial reactions, and for my reasoning for this particular situation.. I thought I had clearly marked them as #1 and #2. As for the text you quoted, what I wanted to get at is.. these IFs and WHATs everyone here is talking about (for example, someone wrote: "I would always kill him because if he turns... bla and so on") don't mean anything to me (I don't mean the IFs and WHATs you wager whilst playing). Because him turning however you play it just isn't happening so all of these discussions about how fucked the group inside the meat locker would be if he gets zombified is (atleast for me) totally meaningless. And what I meant with "I would probably instantly play that chapter again and choose otherwise" is that depending on which character would be bitten by zombified Larry I would PROBABLY (either I'm missing something or probably is the new "definitely", atleast thats how it sounds in your reply.. that I definitely would restart the chapter, but my decision-making isn't THAT black and white). If, in our make-believe story that Larry got zombified, for example Clementine or Lily would get bitten by him, there would be no arguing with my inner self over how to proceed. In that situation I would for sure replay the chapter and choose otherwise. Why? Because Clementine is for now my most favorable character in the game, Lily comes in 2nd to her.

Hope everythings cleared up now?! :-)

@jaybreezy said: I couldn't do that... My Lee was siding with Lilly and becoming more and more estranged from Kenny. Plus...

Thats how I see it too! I don't trust Kenny definitely anymore, because in almost every occasion he left my Lee hanging, except the only one where Lee gets knocked flat by Larry and Kenny helps him up. But for me he lost my trust completely after the fight with Andy (or was it his brother?!) in the barn after the meat-locker incidents. I (Lee) could have been killed if it weren't for Lily who came to help him. Kenny? He was all big talk a minute ago and then just when Lee needed him he was cowering and laying low profile inside the stable. For me that was the decisive moment from now on never ever to trust Kenny again with something valuable as someone elses or my own life. Because in that moment I think he showed his true fragile character. I don't doubt that he would go to any length and safe his family from anything, but, that obviously doesn't count for others. And the glance that Lee gave him right after the fight, well, I just think Lee knows that to.

• @Walker#1 said: Thats how I see it too! I don't trust Kenny definitely anymore, because in almost every occasion he left my Lee hanging, except the only one where Lee gets knocked flat by Larry and Kenny helps him up. But for me he lost my trust completely after the fight with Andy (or was it his brother?!) in the barn after the meat-locker incidents. I (Lee) could have been killed if it weren't for Lily who came to help him. Kenny? He was all big talk a minute ago and then just when Lee needed him he was cowering and laying low profile inside the stable. For me that was the decisive moment from now on never ever to trust Kenny again with something valuable as someone elses or my own life. Because in that moment I think he showed his true fragile character. I don't doubt that he would go to any length and safe his family from anything, but, that obviously doesn't count for others. And the glance that Lee gave him right after the fight, well, I just think Lee knows that to.

And there's another difference. In my game, I sided with Kenny so he came to my rescue and Lilly left me hanging so I could say the same thing you just said, only about Lilly.

• @jaybreezy said: And there's another difference. In my game, I sided with Kenny so he came to my rescue and Lilly left me hanging so I could say the same thing you just said, only about Lilly.

Actually, the irony is that even when you side with him Kenny's unreliable, since his plan was to have Lee bring up the rear if anything happened, instead, you end up taking point. :p

Likewise, I could hardly blame Lilly for not wanting to go out of her way to save you, since as far as she's concerned, you just murdered her last remaining family member. Kinda different. Hell, if it were me in that situation, you'd be a friendly-fire casualty first chance I had "Whoops, sorry, I was trying to hit Andy, honest".

• @jaybreezy said: And there's another difference. In my game, I sided with Kenny so he came to my rescue and Lilly left me hanging so I could say the same thing you just said, only about Lilly.

Honestly, I think someone not saving you after you held her back while someone smashed her Father's, whom she truly believed had a chance, head in... That FAR more understandable than someone leaving you to die for disagreeing with his plan to murder someone, whom we don't know was truly dead yet.

I made another play through, where you side with Kenny and his family thoroughly, (I'm talking giving his family all the food you can), calling him the leader, having his back at every turn, and that ONE THING is enough for him to leave you out to dry. Imagine that, imagine what kind of person would sit and watch a "friend", that's had his back for 3 months, be killed right in front of him JUST because he disagreed with him on ONE thing!

Lilly might not save you, but she still protects Clem and she still Carries the Food (Despite not wanting to take it), regardless of what side you choose.

Lilly leaving me hanging: Understandable.
    Kenny leaving me hanging: Betrayal.

• @Death689God said: Honestly, I think someone not saving you after you held her back while someone smashed her Father's, whom she truly believed had a chance, head in... That FAR more understandable than someone leaving you to die for disagreeing with his plan to murder someone, whom we don't know was truly dead yet.

I made another play through, where you side with Kenny and his family thoroughly, (I'm talking giving his family all the food you can), calling him the leader, having his back at every turn, and that ONE THING is enough for him to leave you out to dry. Imagine that, imagine what kind of person would sit and watch a "friend", that's had his back for 3 months, be killed right in front of him JUST because he disagreed with him on ONE thing!

Lilly might not save you, but she still protects Clem and she still Carries the Food (Despite not wanting to take it), regardless of what side you choose.

Lilly leaving me hanging: Understandable.
    Kenny leaving me hanging: Betrayal.

I hear you but what I'm saying is that in my game.. My playthrough Kenny has my back so I don't see him as the guy that some of you see him as. He helped me in the pharmacy when Larry knocked me out, and he saved me in the barn so the problems you guys have with Kenny I'm not having in my playthrough. So I'm gonna have his back for as long as he has mine.

• @jaybreezy said: I hear you but what I'm saying is that in my game.. My playthrough Kenny has my back so I don't see him as the guy that some of you see him as. He helped me in the pharmacy when Larry knocked me out, and he saved me in the barn so the problems you guys have with Kenny I'm not having in my playthrough. So I'm gonna have his back for as long as he has mine.

By that standard, you should've dropped him after the pickup zombie. Kenny's literally the only "man" (I use the term loosely) in the group that will never even attempt to help you in that situation, despite the fact that it's his wife (and incidentally you) at stake. :p

• By the time we reached the meat locker I was already tired of Kenny’s attitude, but the thing that swayed me to trying to save Larry was that firstly Clem was watching and I’m trying to show her there is still hope and that we don’t kill without hard facts.

Secondly although Larry hate’s Lee he defended Clem twice in episode one during the bitten duck situation and at the end chat with Lee, also in episode two we see Clem playing in-between Larry and Lilly at the start and sits next to Larry at the dinner table at the end of episode 2.

It may be nothing but if Clem is starting to prefer Lilly/Larry over the Kenny crew than I’ll tag along for the ride with her, after all I might live longer.

• Is there someone else who tried to save Larry because you actually liked the character?

Yeah, he was a jerk. And he punched me, and because of it I almost got ate by a zombie. Even so, at the start of the 2nd episode, Larry seems to be more cool with Lee. He's big, strong, and emotionally unstable. I wanted to know why, explore a little more his background. Not just this, but he tried to save my Lee with the axe. Well, maybe he didn't wanted to save me, just kill the zombie, but still...

And t'was fun see him while he flirted with Momma John. And what I actually gotta surprised, he didn't said anything about Lee being "urban", if you know what I mean.

Also, it's not like I don't like Kenny. I just wanted the game to give an option like " Dude, calm down. I am not blaming you, I understand why you did that ". Or something like " You two, stop being so f****ing childish!". Ha, this would be coo! :D

• i sided with lilly, like everyone else i don't like larry at all. I understand how kenny wouldnt be thinking straight after what happened just before and having his family somewhere on the farm with cannibals, but he only had a heart attack, people have heart attacks often and alot of them are saved, Larry was a big dude and if anyone came by the camp hed be good to have to scare them away. I'm looking forward to see how this develops, Lilly's gonna want some revenge

Add Comment