User Avatar Image

In your first playthrough did you...

posted by Sisterofshane on - last edited - Viewed by 1.7K users

...both chop off the teacher's leg, and side with Lilly in the meat locker? What were the exact circumstances behind each dilemma that you faced?

For an example, I will tell you what happened in MY first playthrough of episode 2. I didn't immediately chop off the teacher's leg. I first tried to hit the chain with the axe, and after that failed to do ANY visible damage, I then tried to pry open the trap by force. It was at this point Kenny said "Do something now or ..." (and I honestly don't remember EVERYTHING he said, because of the heat of the moment). At this point, I decided to chop off his leg. Three hits, leg was off, and I escaped with the teacher.

Fast forward to the meat locker, I chose to side with Kenny, for a multitude of reasons that would take TOO long to put here, but the least of which being that I felt that it was impossible to save Larry's life, and that every second exponentially increased the risk of him turning into a walker with us still trapped in the meat locker. Even then, I waited 'til the last possible second to finally click on Kenny.

I'm not going to include a poll, because I feel that is impossible to accurately capture EVERYONE'S specific reasoning behind their choices (not without using up the 50 option limit, anyway). With that said, please feel free to say WHY you did what you did, in both situations! I'm hoping to glean some insight on how morally consistent people are, and I think that these two situations are the closest I can get in game for comparison!

Also, please try to keep disagreements to a minimum - there are plenty of other threads in which already exist to argue about the finer parts of morality in the Walking Dead setting - all of which I would recommend if you are looking for a good time (or argument :D)! I'm really looking for more a statistical view of people, as opposed to WHY someone is right or wrong.

EDIT: Part 2, for those who chopped off the leg - did it occur to you that the teacher may die from blood loss later? Did it matter to you that he might have been dead either way?

Part 3 - What was your honest assessment at Larry's chance at life? If you had to give a percentage as to how sure you were that he could be revived, what would it be? Did that influence your decision to side with Lilly or not?

Part 4 - How many of you also gave Irene the gun in episode one? Explain why you did or did not allow her to kill herself.

102 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @ozzmann said: Sorry if this has been asked b4 but @ the beginning of EP1 after you shoot the cop. Is the person you yell out to for help Clem? It sure looks like her.:D

yeah its her i think, unless its her twin sister

• Yeah, my first playthrough of episode two, I chopped off the teacher's leg immediately. Mark had said that the trap had been altered and no release latch was present.

I sided with Kenny in the Meat locker. I was worried if "Asshole Larry" came back as a Zombie that a hulking 6'4" muscle zombie would hurt Clem or something but I also thought about our own needs. Kenny wasn't happy with me in my playthrough and I needed to get on his RV.

If it was anyone else, I may have waited to see if they turned or if they were alive but Asshole Larry's size was a huge factor!.

I have a few parts of my playthrough on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O-poOnvHcE (Ep 2. Part 1)

• @ozzmann said: I left the teacher in the woods, I know this seems cold but he was done for anyway and I knew if we did save him he would be another liability in the group.( And I didnt want to chop his leg off LOL, that's just nasty!)
    However If there woulda been an option to shoot him b4 we left I would have.:D

So you figured that he was going to die no matter what, and left him there..ouch!

Also, who did you side with in the meat locker - Lilly or Kenny?

• @Lars80 said: First playthrough i didnt try anything else, didnt see other options. So ya, i saved him.

I sided with Lilly. I always try to play this game and make choices based on how i would have made them if i was there personally.
    So this is a telltale game, and they dont know enough anatomy, medicine and so on. So i guess anything is possible.
    But when Larry dropped from that heart attack, and he stopped breathing so fast (and no pulse?) he was gone. We are talking big shit heart attack.
    Even if you had 4 paramedics and a doctor there to handle medications he would maybe at best have a 5% chanse of survival.
    And in this situation we had no defibrillator that is always required to restart a heart.
    So what do you do? The safest thing would obviously be to bash his head in.
    Lilly knows as little anatomy/medicine as telltale do, and she is doing cpr wrong...
    So my decision is not about Larry at all.
    Even when you know its over, the only right thing to do in such a situation is to "try" and give Lilly time to understand that this is over.
    For those of you who dont get it, look up the word "empathy".
    You keep trying to give the familly and friends left behind time to understand that you tried, you did everything you could, but it wasnt possible to bring him or her back.
    I liked this scene in the game. Allthought telltale could have done some basic research.

So for those of you who think the worse part of driving an ambulance is what you see. Brain, blood, liver, lung, heart or a combination of those. Its not.
    Its the familly sitting behind you when you try to revive a person.
    At some point you know its over, but they dont.

The whole point of siding with Kenny is that there is no time to let Lilly grieve. A few more minutes of exhausting oneself attempting CPR would not have been enough time for Lilly to come to terms with her Father's death, but it certainly was enough time for Larry to turn into a walker and f*** up your s***. So I don't personally believe that the decision was whether you are capable of empathy or not. It was more of a pragmatic vs. idealist type scenario.

Back to the purpose of this thread, did you think that the teacher was going to die anyway?

• @Sisterofshane said: The whole point of siding with Kenny is that there is no time to let Lilly grieve. A few more minutes of exhausting oneself attempting CPR would not have been enough time for Lilly to come to terms with her Father's death, but it certainly was enough time for Larry to turn into a walker and f*** up your s***. So I don't personally believe that the decision was whether you are capable of empathy or not. It was more of a pragmatic vs. idealist type scenario.

Back to the purpose of this thread, did you think that the teacher was going to die anyway?

i didnt think he would for sure, he already had a tourniquet on his leg, i knew he would loose his leg one way or another though(bear traps are bad and no surgeon or hospital), so chopping it of was the logical choice in the time frame we had

• I think I tried the chain first and then went for his leg, fairly sure it took me 3-4 turns before he was free. Easy choice to make having watched the tv series and that 'lovely' scene from the first Saw film. He might not survive afterwards but at least he still had a chance once you were away from the walkers.

I sided with Lily in the locker. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think Kenny had done something to annoy me by then so it made sense to try and appeal to Lily along with not looking evil in front of Clem.

• I tried to hit the chain first, but I believe Mark said something about the chain resembling those used at the base at which he was stationed. I said eff that noise, and went to town on that teacher's leg with an axe. I want as many people as possible with me in the zombie apocalypse; your odds of survival are higher when there are many targets, and each new group member brings unique information/talents to the group. The teacher would have provided something for the group, even if that thing was merely the certainty of being eaten first. I succeeded in lopping his leg off, as I was quick to hit it when I felt as though the chain couldn't be broken. I think it was close, but I'm not too sure. It did occur to me that he might die from the blood loss, but I thought it was an acceptable risk. The dude reanimates and he's missing a leg, like, can't we just walk away from him?

I snap sided with Kenny in the meat locker. What the hell was Lilly going to do for Larry? Politely ask him to stop being dead? I had to think of four people in that meat locker and I believe I made the best decision for those four; Lilly was making a decision for two people, and one of those was a corpse on the floor. I hated his s*** and I let him know that. I gave the axe to Mark, I didn't feed Larry, and I told him I was sick of his attitude. That being said, I didn't particularly want him to die, but I sure as hell wasn't letting him reanimate and put all of our lives in danger.

It's all about correctly assessing the risk in relation to potential reward. What's the risk of chopping this teacher's leg off and trying to patch him up? You can lose a great deal of blood before you die, and I thought one of us would put a tourniquet on him, so I felt as though he could be saved, and the potential benefits outweighed the mild risk. With Larry, there was no upside. How were we going to get his heart going again? Where were his meds? Was he going to help us escape or just have another heart attack when we get out of the door? What's the downside of caving his head in with a salt lick?

• As someone who bought the game as soon as it came out, and has done a number of play throughs with friends I Love this Game!

I am completely emotionally invested in each an every one of these characters.

Thus In the stress-filled moments working at getting the teacher out I Didn't see not cutting off his leg as a choice. (Seriously, after the episode i saw the stats and was like "What!? We could have not cut off his leg!?)

Anyway, I've Put my personality into what Lee is becoming, and I simply could never EVER see myself letting another human being die like that...

I Let a friend of mine play the game at my house, and (I felt ridiculous after, but) Felt sick to my stomach, as he clicked as fast as he could to pull Lilly away from the most important thing in her entire life...

Obviously I myself tried to save Larry. And now I Know I'll cringe each time I play when I see at that last moment (and you can see this) that Larry begins to wake up, only to die right there...

• Wow, Kenny supporters are turning out to be a ruthless bunch of people! Every single person who has supported Kenny in the locker (a total of 14 people) cut off the band teachers leg and was successful in freeing him from the trap before the Walker's closed in on the group.

Kenny supporters are also closing in on Lilly Supporters, as now out of 33 complete answers, Lilly has only 19 supporters to Kenny's 14.

As far as whether they thought the Band Teacher was a goner or not - a majority (6 out of 8 people, oh the numbers are so outstanding!) of those who have answered have said that it didn't matter to them if he died later - most saying because they felt that he didn't deserve to be left behind to the Walkers.

Now a question to all of the Lilly supporters out there:

What was your honest assessment of Larry's condition at the time you decided to help Lilly? What did you think was his chance of revival (if you had to put a percentage on it)?

Also, remember that these are according to your first playthrough! A lot of us have been here on the forums and have read what TTG have said about the "breath" scene, but I want an idea of what you thought and how you reacted BEFORE you were influenced by what anyone else had said.:D

• @Sisterofshane said: Wow, Kenny supporters are turning out to be a ruthless bunch of people! Every single person who has supported Kenny in the locker (a total of 14 people) cut off the band teachers leg and was successful in freeing him from the trap before the Walker's closed in on the group.

Kenny supporters are also closing in on Lilly Supporters, as now out of 33 complete answers, Lilly has only 19 supporters to Kenny's 14.

As far as whether they thought the Band Teacher was a goner or not - a majority (6 out of 8 people, oh the numbers are so outstanding!) of those who have answered have said that it didn't matter to them if he died later - most saying because they felt that he didn't deserve to be left behind to the Walkers.

Now a question to all of the Lilly supporters out there:

What was your honest assessment of Larry's condition at the time you decided to help Lilly? What did you think was his chance of revival (if you had to put a percentage on it)?

Also, remember that these are according to your first playthrough! A lot of us have been here on the forums and have read what TTG have said about the "breath" scene, but I want an idea of what you thought and how you reacted BEFORE you were influenced by what anyone else had said.:D

that is very interesting, I'm a ruthless Kenny supporter lol, but empathy was involved, if i was the teacher and the people that could help me couldn't take the trap off and were going to leave at any moment, i would ask them to cut my leg off, and if i was a father in a locked room with my child, i would rather have my head smashed in than eat and kill my daughter, but maybe that's just me, and i'm ruthless.

Add Comment