User Avatar Image

Limited Choices discussion (merged threads)

posted by ADavidson on - last edited - Viewed by 10.3K users

I was a bit disappointed with the story choices. Reminded me of LA Noir, where most game choices are superficial. If you pick Shawn he still dies the same. Even if the other chosen character died(Doug or Carlie), the other said the same things. And no matter what I said nothing changed story points, like Larry shoving you down even if you side with him. Oh and with Glenn, if you hand the girl the gun he says how can you let people give up but if you refuse he says how can you deny someone's choice! The character's in the game should have the same convictions no matter what you choose, this is unacceptable character development.

Supposedly the choices of Episode 1 greatly affect how everyone views you though... I sure hope the following episodes prove more impressive with the choices, and I realllllly hope it branches out and expands more. For a 2hr game it should have a lot more possibilities.

I know it's only a $5 game, just please don't let me down.

Otherwise, the story itself was awesome, the gameplay is really good and the art style is incredible. Still the best TT game to date! Keep it up guys!

641 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • @thestalkinghead said:
    but if the ending/game was truly my own story (not totally unique i know thousand of people would have made the same choices as me) i would tell everyone to buy it

I'm pretty sure things will deviate sharply in the last episode. After they don't have to bring everything back to have a neat continuation, I think they're going to go nuts.

• I think all of the "pointless" choices that "don't change anything" won't really matter till Episode 5. Where, your actions, who you've sided with, etc, determine who lives and who dies.

• @Master of Aeons said: I'm pretty sure things will deviate sharply in the last episode. After they don't have to bring everything back to have a neat continuation, I think they're going to go nuts.

I'd love for it to just got batshit crazy at the end and have a unique ending depending on what we did. I don't know how that would effect the second season that they have announced, though. Maybe season 1 is Lee and Clem's story, and season 2 will bring all new characters to the table.

• @Dildor said: I'd love for it to just got batshit crazy at the end and have a unique ending depending on what we did. I don't know how that would effect the second season that they have announced, though. Maybe season 1 is Lee and Clem's story, and season 2 will bring all new characters to the table.

I guessed that 2 would have new characters and, based on your saves, would have a Lee cameo at appropriate times.

• @WabbitTwaks said: Stuff.

So they lack any sort of ambition? No one ever said making video games was supposed to be easy and you're not supposed to compromise for "what's realistic", you're supposed to push the boundaries.

Don't get me wrong: I like the story anyway and it succeeded in evoking responses from me. My heart pounded, I was sweating, and I did feel the pressure. Telltale did a very good job, but unless the next 3 episodes really deliver we'll just be playing an interactive story with very mild variations.

I understand that it's a lot to do and it adds constraints. It means more loose ends to tie up, more coding, more testing, and more money. However, I would hope that Telltale is more concerned with blowing away their fanbase.

What do I mean by "more variation"?

So far, the big choices have been:

I don't know whether lying to Hershel has any significance because I was always honest. I could see it serving a purpose to change how certain dialogue options and attitudes of your Lee (being honest or deception) but, practically speaking, it serves no purpose since we probably see Hershel again in this series.

The choice between Shawn and Duck effectively boils down to whether you want brownie points with Kenny. Either way, Kenny runs off like a coward with Duck, Shawn is killed, and Hershel gives you the boot. This is probably more significant later in relation to Kenny's character, which seems to hate you if you don't support him 100% of the time.

Choosing who to side with (or not) in the pharmacy also seems to be about brownie points. It does not change the group dynamic because Kenny and Lilly go through the same arguments Episode 2 regardless of who you side with. Clementine is always on your side, as is Carley. Choosing to side with Larry and Lily would overrule Kenny's family and vice versa, thus changing the balance of power and support. We see none of this.

Choosing to give the gun or not should have a very heavy impact, particularly on how people view you (consider that Glenn and Carley saw you and most likely said something about it). This seems like a decision for the game and other characters to learn how you treat others but it has not really come to fruition.

I think choosing Doug or Carley will become much more significant down the road and it was pretty different in Episode 2. I give this the benefit of the doubt. Carley is a bit more of the strong, silent type. She is good with a gun. Meanwhile, Doug is more comedic and very resourceful. In Episode 2 you find the differences in their personalities and how they handle stress as well as different skills and abilities. Doug being a tech guy makes him pretty valuable, which is clear when he designs an alarm system. Meanwhile, Carley is a bit more of a grunt who ends up taking most of the watch shifts. Doug saves you with a laser pointer while Carley does it the old fashioned way. However, giving both characters nearly the same lines is inexcusably lazy. They're different people, treat them like it!

Chopping off David's leg is another one of those decisions that probably alters how the game and NPCs view your Lee. There are no real consequences to this in Episode 2 - either way, Ben is the only one who survives and you save Katjaa.

Choosing to help save or kill Larry is another one of those decisions I think are too early to fully appreciate. You see the immediate effects in Episode 2 and I'm damn sure you'll see them as long as Lily and Kenny are around. Personally, I highly doubt the writers will overlook this. I actually feel very confident that your treatment of the St. John brothers will not be forgotten since their fate carries heavy implications. Without them, the bandits become more aggressive and your group views you as more violent. With them, you gain mortal enemies with nothing left to lose but your humanity is not forgotten.

I'd certainly hope that little things have an impact on your story: how you treat other characters (particularly Clementine) and how hopeful or practical you are should change how others view you.

I give a great benefit of the doubt because it's only Episode 2, but we return to my original point: they have no excuse for linearity after this point. I've already got my seat belt buckled and I'm in for he ride, which I have thoroughly enjoyed so far. If Telltale wants to simply tell a tale, that's what they're doing so far. If they want to live up to their own hype and do something that sets them apart from all the other languorous developers, they'll set the bar for story telling in video games.

• @Galdis said: So they lack any sort of ambition? No one ever said making video games was supposed to be easy and you're not supposed to compromise for "what's realistic", you're supposed to push the boundaries.

Don't get me wrong: I like the story anyway and it succeeded in evoking responses from me. My heart pounded, I was sweating, and I did feel the pressure. Telltale did a very good job, but unless the next 3 episodes really deliver we'll just be playing an interactive story with very mild variations.

I understand that it's a lot to do and it adds constraints. It means more loose ends to tie up, more coding, more testing, and more money. However, I would hope that Telltale is more concerned with blowing away their fanbase.

What do I mean by "more variation"?

So far, the big choices have been:

I don't know whether lying to Hershel has any significance because I was always honest. I could see it serving a purpose to change how certain dialogue options and attitudes of your Lee (being honest or deception) but, practically speaking, it serves no purpose since we probably see Hershel again in this series.

The choice between Shawn and Duck effectively boils down to whether you want brownie points with Kenny. Either way, Kenny runs off like a coward with Duck, Shawn is killed, and Hershel gives you the boot. This is probably more significant later in relation to Kenny's character, which seems to hate you if you don't support him 100% of the time.

Choosing who to side with (or not) in the pharmacy also seems to be about brownie points. It does not change the group dynamic because Kenny and Lilly go through the same arguments Episode 2 regardless of who you side with. Clementine is always on your side, as is Carley. Choosing to side with Larry and Lily would overrule Kenny's family and vice versa, thus changing the balance of power and support. We see none of this.

Choosing to give the gun or not should have a very heavy impact, particularly on how people view you (consider that Glenn and Carley saw you and most likely said something about it). This seems like a decision for the game and other characters to learn how you treat others but it has not really come to fruition.

I think choosing Doug or Carley will become much more significant down the road and it was pretty different in Episode 2. I give this the benefit of the doubt. Carley is a bit more of the strong, silent type. She is good with a gun. Meanwhile, Doug is more comedic and very resourceful. In Episode 2 you find the differences in their personalities and how they handle stress as well as different skills and abilities. Doug being a tech guy makes him pretty valuable, which is clear when he designs an alarm system. Meanwhile, Carley is a bit more of a grunt who ends up taking most of the watch shifts. Doug saves you with a laser pointer while Carley does it the old fashioned way. However, giving both characters nearly the same lines is inexcusably lazy. They're different people, treat them like it!

Chopping off David's leg is another one of those decisions that probably alters how the game and NPCs view your Lee. There are no real consequences to this in Episode 2 - either way, Ben is the only one who survives and you save Katjaa.

Choosing to help save or kill Larry is another one of those decisions I think are too early to fully appreciate. You see the immediate effects in Episode 2 and I'm damn sure you'll see them as long as Lily and Kenny are around. Personally, I highly doubt the writers will overlook this. I actually feel very confident that your treatment of the St. John brothers will not be forgotten since their fate carries heavy implications. Without them, the bandits become more aggressive and your group views you as more violent. With them, you gain mortal enemies with nothing left to lose but your humanity is not forgotten.

I'd certainly hope that little things have an impact on your story: how you treat other characters (particularly Clementine) and how hopeful or practical you are should change how others view you.

I give a great benefit of the doubt because it's only Episode 2, but we return to my original point: they have no excuse for linearity after this point. I've already got my seat belt buckled and I'm in for he ride, which I have thoroughly enjoyed so far. If Telltale wants to simply tell a tale, that's what they're doing so far. If they want to live up to their own hype and do something that sets them apart from all the other languorous developers, they'll set the bar for story telling in video games.

Outside observation: if the person your responding to could only type a single worded sentence and you type all of that, I'd say you win by default.

• It looks to me like they're primarily trying to craft a story and using the choices and consequences to create more emotional impact. Naturally, the cost of creating art assets and voice acting limits the extent to which the story can branch, but the art and acting's important for the effect they're trying to create too.

If you're interested in branching narratives, check out what's happening in the interactive fiction world - with only text to create, people can be a lot more free with what they do. http://www.choiceofgames.com/category/our-games/ is one place worth starting. It's a bit of a mixed bag - the early games seem to be largely a case of winning points with ally A, B or C, then picking the right one to side with in the final showdown, with a few cosmetic choices of the sort the people in this thread have been complaining about. The later ones promise to be more ambitious, but I've not explored them fully.

• I think they handle choice and the effect in dialog way better then some other games.

Tho with episode 2 done im starting to see a pattern and thats the "tough/major" choices seem too sort of overwrite the previous big choice as if it dosnt really matter anymore, and the npc/characters just forget past choices and will only remember current choice which imo is a pretty big flaw for such a character story driven game.

It was especially obvious with the meat locker choice in ep2, now that one made no sens to me if you picked Larry/Lilly. Kenny which Lee in my game had supported from the get-go just went completely mental as everything else that had happen between the two during episode 1 and 2 never happen. Kinda awkward, and there was no option to discuss it except more or less calling him coward, wow lol.

It just dosnt seem to handle multi choices very well, like you either stick with one thing or nothing at all. Tho Clem-Clem is remembering pretty well, thats a plus!.

• IMO, the game developers did a really great job with the choices. It's pretty wasteful to design a whole new branch of the story if only 50% did it, yet they designed, voiced, wrote, etc. for whatever choice you make. Plus, if you are a fan of other Telltale Games, then you know this is their first time where there are several story arcs, depending on your decisions.

• i just finished the first and second episode today and what i feel now is like my choices mostly let the people of the group think bad about me, so allways let me feel i have done something wrong (only ingame....)

but besides that there isnt a deeper influence after what i have read and after just the first two episodes.
    as allways i think about real heavy consequences in such games... if you would do that consistently you would end up with a huge amount of possible storylines (if you can calculate...) or with just some which split up early or at fixed points. both variants doesnt seem practical to me so the social changes might be enough (how the people like you or who is left behind and who not)

what i hated at the end was the larry decision... he will die no matter what and i missed the opportunity to tell kenny to stand ready to drop that saltblock if he turns while lee tries to revive... so i tried that and all my feedback is that larry moans all the time (and probably later on... -.-') what is pretty annoying if you know larry would die anyway.

also i would have liked to say "let us wait a day at the car and when nobody comes we will get it"... just moaning myself :D

Add Comment