User Avatar Image

"WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" error

posted by Mike on - last edited - Viewed by 8.7K users

Hi,

We are currently investigating what is causing this to happen for a small percentage of the userbase for The Walking Dead, and we apologize for the inconvenience. There's a few fixes outlined in the technical support FAQ here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29368

If those fixes aren't working for you, please reply to this thread and let me know me know what kind of hardware or software security your system is using. I need the following information:

1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game?

3: Does the game work if you run it while disconnected from the Internet?

I don't need DXDiag information or any other system specific info apart from the information requested above. Please, no discussion of the issue in this thread. It's to gather information only.

Thanks,
Mike

137 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Thanks for this thread! I just bought the game (standalone version from the Telltale store) and this error greeted me.
    Went through all the suggestions in the FAQ and nothing worked.
    However, disconnecting the internet after login did...yay :)

1: Are you using a software firewall? If so, have you allowed access to the game?
    no

2: Do you have anti-virus software? If so, who makes it? Is it up to date? Is it blocking access to our game?
    yes, avast, it's up to date, I don't know

yes it does :)

• When do you guy think you'll be able to fix this problem?

• So I bought this last night because of Steam's summer sale. I haven't been able to load the game once, just this same error over and over. I don't have a firewall, AV or anything blocking me from using the game. I've done all the steps with permission, etc. and nothing is letting me load the game. So basically 20 bucks for a broken game. I see that they mod hasn't responded to any of the people asking when a fix would be, and some are from months ago.

• I just TWD from Steam on the summer sale and sadly, when I tried to open it, "WalkingDead101.exe has stopped working" slapped me in the face. After trying all the fixes I could find in the forums, nothing was working.

Go to your common game folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common)

You should see all of your games listed there in the form of folders. Find The Walking Dead.

(this may vary depending on your OS, I'm using Win7 64bit)

Right Click on it and go to properties.
    Click on the Security tab
    Click the "Edit" button (under Group or user names)
    Click the "Add" button
    In the "Enter the object names to select" box, type "everyone"
    click the "OK" button
    Click the OK button again
    Click the OK button one more time

Now, open the walking dead folder.
    Right click the "WalkingDead101.exe"
    select "Run as administrator"

It still doesn't open for me from steam, but at least I can play it. Hopefully you will have some luck with it as well.

*EDIT*
    For ease of use, do the following:
    Navigate to your walkingdead101.exe
    Right click it and select properties
    Select the "Compatibility" tab
    Under Privilege level, check off "Run this program as an administrator"
    Click "OK"

Now create a shortcut to the exe on your desktop

• I bought walking dead on steam. Episode 1 is not on the menu.

Episode 2 is and runs fine. When I do all that steam tells me to do and also in the above poststo get episode 1 running all I get running is episode 2.

If I right click the walkingdead101.exe and run as admin. it start episode 2.

The walking dead file from steam that I downloaded is 1.5 gigs. Is that the right size?

• Doesn't work for me using the permissions and admin switch above ... how do I get a refund ? Win7 64 bit, ATI 6870 card ..

• Well to the question at start of page

1 no
    2 no
    3 no

Also as many said I have tried everything also spent well over 6 hours today alone version I have is steam and game loaded once yesterday when I bought it. now when I load I get the exe error done all problem solving on forums think I will be asking for refund and the problem being just 1% is rubbish there is stuff on forums and all diffent people on the net with the issue can't believe that after weeks people have the problem still I am just one day and really wanting a refund and won't be buying another game from you guys for the lack of info even on your main page!

• @Mike said: Hi,

We are currently investigating what is causing this to happen for a small percentage of the userbase for The Walking Dead, and we apologize for the inconvenience. There's a few fixes outlined in the technical support FAQ here: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29368

If those fixes aren't working for you, please reply to this thread and let me know me know what kind of hardware or software security your system is using. I need the following information:

I don't need DXDiag information or any other system specific info apart from the information requested above. Please, no discussion of the issue in this thread. It's to gather information only.

Thanks,
    Mike

1) No I don't have a firewall set up
    2) AVG Anti Virus (temporarily disabled to play game)
    3) No game does not work when disconnected from the internet, nor does it run when I am connected to the internet.

The first time I decide to buy a telltale games product from steam, normally i get it straight from telltales website and I'm having a horrible experience.
    I haven't played it at all :(

I am running a 3.2 ghz quadcore intel with a gtx 285 with updated drivers and i followed all the troubleshooting steps to update direct x and so forth and so forth. also tried to run as administrator. nothing works

Here is my crash report. need any more info?

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WalkingDead101.exe
    Application Version: 2012.4.23.11289
    Application Timestamp: 4f95e3ff
    Fault Module Name: StackHash_fe09
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec49b60
    Exception Code: c0000374
    Exception Offset: 000c380b
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: fe09
    Additional Information 2: fe0982fb9989863177da605f59dc25a1
    Additional Information 3: bd8d
    Additional Information 4: bd8dea246b9460fc190805e5ea3cdb58

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Felix

• No anti-virus or firewall, and disconnecting the internet doesn't make the game launch, but I no longer get anything after the steam launcher. No error message or anything.
    Game worked perfectly before Episode 2 came out. Finally having free time, I decided today to play Episode 2, and constantly had this issue. I got it to start twice, but each time after I exited to get my controller recognized (forgot to turn it on before hand) the problem returned. The first time I told it to run as admin, but after the first launch, it just went right back to the error even with all of the A suggestions. The next time was after a full steam restart and DirectX reinstall. Again, after that it didn't run.

• guys seriously do i have to buy walking dead standalone without steam just to see if i can play it? C'mon tell tale DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

This discussion has been closed.